Novice chasers 2013/14

That was very good from Ballycasey on only his second chase looks the one to beat in the RSA, though I was happy with Carlingford Lough up until AP fell off, the bigger stamina test of the RSA will benefit him greatly.

Ballycasey will definetley go the there as fav, Righlty so
But your right Jakers, Im on Carlingford and that run hasn't put me off whatsoever.

DG, Have you heard any news regarding Hinterland and if he's going to the festival?

Not really, as you may know entered in both Arkle and the QM . There's a "Paul Nicholls Festival Tour" in the RP on Friday.

Hinterland still in both the QM and Arkle. Good chance this fella may go for QM, with Dodging Bullets the Arkle.
Very decent price too.

Hinterland still in both the QM and Arkle. Good chance this fella may go for QM, with Dodging Bullets the Arkle.
Very decent price too.

I think he has a hell of a chance for the Arkle
Just cant see Nicholls wanting to chuck him in at the deep end with Sire De Grugy and SS

I think he has a hell of a chance for the Arkle
Just cant see Nicholls wanting to chuck him in at the deep end with Sire De Grugy and SS

Wouldn't be much between him and Dodging. Hinterland has experience and is a novice in but name. Nicholls will be thinking trainers champs aswell.

Wonderful Charm slight setback 2 days ago and lame yesterday but well enough to parade for media. Trainer stressed good ground important.

Mullins said last week he'd be happy enough to go straight to the Arkle, so suppose it depends on the reason given for not running this weekend. As an AP backer, I’d have liked to see him run

I would hope its nothing more than concerns over the going, it will be a right old bog on Sunday I would think but either way it is not ideal, my ap bets have survived remarkably well for once bar the blow of Solwhit not running in the WH but this would be a slighty bigger knock if he were not to line up, that said I would expect to see money for Felix Yonger but the Arkle market looks calm.

Last edited:
Nick Robson, Racing Plus

Just spoken to Willie, still not quite happy with him (CF), might have a racecourse gallop.

Don't be too worried about those AP dockets for Champagne yet.
As you guys said, not an injury, Just not quite happy with him.

This horse always seems to come to life in March!
Was the same the last 2 years. He seems to win in Oct/Nov - But then lost twice and disappointed both times in Dec 2011 & 2012. Then come the Spring in March he comes to life and wins at Cheltenham. He lost again in Dec 2013. Appreciate he could do with a run but I would not be overly worried about CF just yet. Unless something more serious comes out of it I'd be confident he will be primed and ready for action come 11th March......

Last edited:
From the Racing Post;
Arklefavourite Champagne Fever will skip the Grade 2 Flyingbolt Novice Chase at Navan on Sunday and head straight to Cheltenham, where he will bid to win at the festival for the third consecutive year.
"We decided not to declare Champagne Fever for the Flyingbolt Chase at Navan on Sunday because of the very testing ground," said his trainer Willie Mullins in his exclusive Racing Post Saturday column.
This is now the second engagement Champagne Fever has missed in as many weeks, with the 7-2 favourite for the Racing Post-sponsored Arkle first expected to run in the Dr. P.J. Moriarty Novice Chase at Leopardstown last week - a race that was won by stablemate Ballycasey.
"We were happier with him this week compared to last weekend when we decided to by-pass the Grade 1 novice at Leopardstown," continued Mullins. "However, Cheltenham is closing in and we're going to send him straight there."
"He's in a few races at the festival but the Racing Post Arkle Trophy remains his most likely target," he said.

I like the look of Ofaolains Boy today. Pulled up on his last start but his form in previous race at Ascot in December behind Easter Day is solid. Also had good Novice hurdle form in the stayers division on heavy ground last season. 8/1 looks a decent price. He went off 9/4 second fav behind Taquin du Seuil the last day when he was pulled up.

Same connections as The Romford Pele. What say the spies under the bed?:ninja:
Will this horse be tuned up for today Digger?

Back