Novice chasers 2013/14

Throw one out there as a huge outsider - Balder Succes. More a question than a statement. Obviously King has Valdez rated 8lbs higher. Both hold Arkle entries. BS last run in Dec was quite poor. Beaten 22L by Hinterland in 2m GR1 at Sandown. Some questions I have are, was this when Kings horses began to get sick and he had to close the yard soon after? Could BS be forgiven that run?

Because in his first 3 runs over fences before that he looked like a flying machine. Visually anyway. I'm not one for speed timings but he certainly looked very quick and very smart over his fences. They were 2 class 2 races and a class 3. He was comfortably 6 L clear in the race he fell in too. Won the other 2 quite impressively. I thought. Anyone have any insight into the King yard. Would he run both horses? 40/1 available for BS.

Balder should be stepped up. Very good horse badly campaigned.

Nope. The horse is quality as any fool know. Pointless having a debate with John Wayne Gacy

Never said he wasn't a good horse. I answered the festival question which is only my opinion.

'John Wayne Gacy' that's harsh, 'IT' would have been sufficient ;)

Now we have cleared that up, we ok now Trig :whistle:

When I mentioned Balder Succes a few days ago he was 40/1 for the Arkle. He's now only 25/1. What has changed in the last 3 days?

Racing post comment regarding today's Grade 2 novice chase:
"This has been a good pointer towards the Arkle down the years and one suspects the only runner with the potential to have a say in that race is BALDER SUCCES."

If he wins impressively today, inevitably that 25/1 will shorten further.

GGGGGRRRRRRR . King after saying Balder might be held back for Punchestown, Owners are very keen to run him there.:mad:

Still shortened to 16/1 for the Arkle now.

Thankfully I had a little cut today....;)

I suspect the manner of his defeat i.e that he led but then Module rallied past him has put people off more than the margin and the fact he was defeated .

Bullets is a lovely lepper for a novice. Good enough to carry him deep-enough into an Arkle, I reckon.

Is Rebel Fitz injured?

No, had a Winter break and is back cantering, trainer waiting for good ground, says RF won't go to Cheltenham as it will "take him two months to get over it and there is plenty of good money on offer at home"

After today can't be having Dodging Bullets, jumps great but doesn't seem to relish the battle.
Smad Place however could be interesting in the RSA

Last edited:
I thought that was a decent performance from the Dodger. He is going to be bang there turning in. Think he will find 1 or 2 too good though.

Smad Place was impressive today I thought, as was the 2nd.

Dodging Bullets travelled like the winner all the way until about 100 yards out.

Taking on a horse who needs further and on ground that wouldn't be ideal, he massively enhanced hs Arkle chances IMO.

That was very good from Ballycasey on only his second chase looks the one to beat in the RSA, though I was happy with Carlingford Lough up until AP fell off, the bigger stamina test of the RSA will benefit him greatly.

Back