Novice chasers 2014/15

Turning this thread around a little - we are at Xmas, who does everyone see as the best value bet(s) in the Arkle?

Thought he'd come there to win the race 2 out, not the best round of jumping either. Can definitely see him reversing that with the winner on better ground and more experience. I'm on Vautour @8-1 for the Arkle and haven't seen anything that can touch him......yet.

Vautour aside.

Looking for value. May not see much of him until March, and granted decent ground, Sgt Reckless to make the 3.

Of the British horses, Sgt Reckless is the one that looks value for the Arkle to me. Ran well in the Supreme, very impressive debut over fences. Would rather take 25/1 about him than back either Ptit Zig or Josses Hill.

Henderson says JH deliberately entered in the 2m 3f race as first six fences are ideal for a novice as uphill and then time to get in a rhythm for the four downhill, nonetheless jumping not too good on those four but horse will have learned a lot. Will try and find two more races, ideally one in Jan, one in Feb, the first of those will probably be going right handed as he jumped slightly right but would like to find a race going left handed for the other outing. All concerned were very pleased with today.

get the feeling mullins rates vautour above everything else in his stable at the moment so i wouldn't be too surprised but missing two live chances at a grade 1 to ride a novice chase would seem a bit perplexing

I Just listened to that now granger. I must admit it was much more definite than I had thought from just reading your earlier posts.
WPM "Vautour would be.... at the moment just going for the Arkle" I thought it sounded very clear cut...
I had been operating under the assumption it Was Vautour - JLT and UDS - Arkle. Doesn't help my current position either,

Engine looks very good but doesn't look a natural jumper to me. He needs to run at least twice more, probably 3 times, if he is to get some rhythm.

It can't be ideal that he didn't school at all until September. Not throwing my vouchers away just yet as not every Arkle winner as a smooth as silk preperation for the race a la Sprinter Sacre.

I was impressed with the winner though. Double figure quotes are decent.

UDS is the worst value price in the lists. He'd be better off aimed at the Chester Cup

UDS is the worst value price in the lists. He'd be better off aimed at the Chester Cup

:lol:

With both Mullins horses, you have to factor in the chances of them even running in it, even if good enough.

We don't know will Vautour be aimed at the Arkle; if both he and UDS show decent form over 2m, it still doesn't mean both turn up (highly likely not). Why run a potential champion horse like Vautour in a non-championship race (the JLT)? I wouldn't. And, if he does go for the Arkle, where does that leave UDS? JLT, revert back to hurdles not out of the question (no way to know will he take to fences or will the last day have left a mark - MdH) or just bypass Cheltenham altogether. Who knows. What price are both to even turn up in the Arkle? Evens at best I would have thought (factoring in, as well as the above, injuries, loss of form, etc)

I'd be sure Willie has Champagne Fever on his mind from last season. He and Vautour are similar horses, and maybe he thinks Vautour will be more vulnerable at the shorter trip over fences.

Ruby Walsh admits it will be a wrench to abandon Vautour in pursuit of even greater riches at Kempton on Boxing Day.

With Champagne Fever and Faugheen in action in the William Hill King George VI Chase and in the Christmas Hurdle respectively, Walsh is unable to compete at the big Leopardstown meeting on the same day.

That means he cannot ride last season's Supreme Novices' Hurdle winner Vautour, who made a high-class chasing debut at Navan in November and runs in the Racing Post Novice Chase.

Walsh told the Irish Examiner: "It will literally break my heart to leave Vautour behind at Leopardstown.

"He is absolutely bombing right now."

Of his Kempton duo, Walsh said: "Champagne Fever is the right type of horse for the King George, he jumps great and has pace.

"But I am under no illusions about the task that faces him and believe Silviniaco Conti will prove a tough nut to crack.

"Faugheen has come on plenty for his initial outing of the campaign and, obviously, now that The New One is going to swerve Kempton that will make his task all the easier."

I'd be sure Willie has Champagne Fever on his mind from last season. He and Vautour are similar horses, and maybe he thinks Vautour will be more vulnerable at the shorter trip over fences.

Vulnerable? Banish that word from your memory when Vautour is mentioned. :)

Back