Novice chasers 2014/15

It takes a leap of faith - possibly even more than one - to interpret the Dipper as a 'form boost' for Josses Hill, Euro.

Josses Hill didn't jump with economy his first time over fences but he wasn't like a River Maigue either, a horse who looks completely unsuited to the game, clambering over obstacles like a toddler attempting to ascend a staircase. Josses jumped way too big and travelled with too much freshness. The fact that he could finish as close as he did to Ptit Zig despite this lack of economy and first time out to boot is a good sign but only if that run educates him in some way. I'd like to think he can improve as much as Champagne West did yesterday.

I like ptit zig. Might be my imagination but I thought his ascot run was more fluent but he has a bit of a good attitude and you know that he's in right hands. Josses hill seemed to have a good engine but won't get enough experience in time to be a factor IMO. I didnt like the way he travelled at all and simply didnt seem well schooled enough.

is that harsh or is it fair to say that a fair number of nicky the needle's hurdlers are not converting as expected? That big girls blouse granduet is a pretty good example. You would be more surprised if runners from some stables started their careers with such a poor round of jumping as we saw from big jesses hill. I know we will get big bucks or Iris's gift put uo as examples otherwise but it looks like a bit if a trend to me.

Last edited:
Big Horse Josse's Hill and very novicey but that is hardly a bad thing. Doubt if he'll be seen to such bad affect over fences again.

He was the same in his first run over hurdle running as green as a cabbage bit soon cottoned on.

I like Ptit Zig he's one tough cookie but he'll find Joss's Hill a totally different proposition next time the meet.

I wonder sometimes if Willie Mullins says things just to annoy me.

I thought Don Poli looked the business last week and was quite surprised when he was so big for the RSA.

Then someone enlightened me and said he was going for the 4 miler.

Had a look at some quotes:

"I nominated him for the 4 miler"

"I think he could turn out to be a Gold Cup Horse".........so why on earth 4 miles?

" I may drop him in trip to see what he can do" ........So he thinks he's suited by 4 miles but wants to run him at 2m4f.

" I need to talk to Gigginstown"..............you need to talk to someone.

All a bit of fun.... it's obvious after the way he won he wants to see if he has enough speed to win at a shorter trip......If he does run him in a 2m4f-2m6f and he wins well I'd say he'll then definitely go for the RSA...............according to Willie they have plenty staying chasers and it seems pretty obvious to me he would now prefer it if Don Poli went for the RSA

Last edited:
Mullins quotes may have been from before he won the Topaz over Xmas, Tanlic - connections may have had a re-think about his Festival target, in light of that race.

Last edited:
Mullins quotes may have been from before he won the Topaz over Xmas, Tanlic - connections may have had a re-think about his Festival target, in light of that race.

I think it was the Irish Herald Grassy and was right after the race. He also said he thought that was the best running of the Topaz in it's history so he's obviously likes the horse a lot.

I had a bet on Kings Palace myself but that was before I read what he had said..........He will be very short if Don Poli goes for the 4 miler.

If I were them I don't know where I would send him..........I'd probably because of his age go for the easiest option

4 miles is never easy but it could be a lot easier on him than locking horns with King Palace in the RSA

Having not won since 2011 and not won over fences there should be some cracking opportunities for Grandouet to get weight off 110 types :-)

Martin

Having not won since 2011 and not won over fences there should be some cracking opportunities for Grandouet to get weight off 110 types :-)

Martin

Christ has it been that long??!!
I bet there has been a fair amount of hard earned frittered away on him in that time, Mine included!

I wonder sometimes if Willie Mullins says things just to annoy me.

I thought Don Poli looked the business last week and was quite surprised when he was so big for the RSA.

Then someone enlightened me and said he was going for the 4 miler.

Had a look at some quotes:

"I nominated him for the 4 miler"

"I think he could turn out to be a Gold Cup Horse".........so why on earth 4 miles?

" I may drop him in trip to see what he can do" ........So he thinks he's suited by 4 miles but wants to run him at 2m4f.

" I need to talk to Gigginstown"..............you need to talk to someone.

All a bit of fun.... it's obvious after the way he won he wants to see if he has enough speed to win at a shorter trip......If he does run him in a 2m4f-2m6f and he wins well I'd say he'll then definitely go for the RSA...............according to Willie they have plenty staying chasers and it seems pretty obvious to me he would now prefer it if Don Poli went for the RSA

Re all this. Patrick is the one steering this beast the 4m route. Am sure Gigi will put the boot down.

Surely depends what else Giggy have. If Rule The World wins his beginners in good style he wouldn't be without a chance in the JLT, pushing Valseur Lido and Don Poli out in trip. That would suit Mullins too.

Cheers Granger,

Very likable performance by Sail By The Sea yesterday.

None of the first 2 will be beating him again in a hurry.

Wouldn't surprise me if Pipe finds a really bad race for him then he turns up at Cheltenham with Chester Barnes running round slapping the dosh on

Back