Novice chasers 2014/15

Final Decs for the Topaz tomorrow, should be a good race.

Apache Stronghold
Lots Of Memories
Mala Beach
Shanahan's Turn
The Tullow Tank
Don Poli
Very Wood

Last edited:
Mullins may not have seen the race when making his statement but I did as did most of us.

Unless I am losing my eyesight Paul Townsend at no time asked the horse to stride out and had him exactly where he wanted him to be.

He went into the 5th last a 1/2 length ahead of Real Steel and out the other side just ahead of him and Townsend took another pull.

I don't know if that is what Mullins meant when he said he had his own reasons for that..........Maybe a fellow Irishman could understand what he was saying but if that is what he said word for word I for sure can't

I'm not saying for one minute Vautour won't bounce back..... but he never strode out? I think they must have been drinking too much guinness or sooking up Willie's backside.

It's D-Day for The Tullow Tank and me. If he doesn't go close today, then I will have to cut myself loose of pretensions that he'll be top-class.

This Don Poli looks a bit special considering that was only his 2nd run over fences. He took everything in his stride and jumped like an old hand.

The way he fought back to go on and win will stand him in good stead in the RSA and it will take one helluva good horse to beat him.

Is there anything worse than seeing your value pick beaten by one of the big guns. That would have brightened my Christmas right up.

At least I can look forward to King's Palace destroying whatever Mullins/Gigginstown bring to the Festival

Is there anything worse than seeing your value pick beaten by one of the big guns. That would have brightened my Christmas right up.

At least I can look forward to King's Palace destroying whatever Mullins/Gigginstown bring to the Festival

I like that Pipe horse but he has questions to answer himself

I don't see what questions. He was too fresh last year after too long a break from the track.

He is quite inexperienced (hasn't seen many courses) and for whatever reason didn't perform last March. Notice that he has faced four and three rivals in his two races this season.

Has fallen twice in bigger fields in the past.

I didn't see the race today, but it is impossible to knock Kings Palace on what he's done over fences to-date. He'll be out front in the RSA and away from any trouble, and I've few concerns about a bigger field bringing the wagon to a halt.

I usually reserve judgement until much nearer the time, in the Novice Chases.....but KP looks like the real deal to me.

Kings Palace's biggest issue is the bloke on tops judgement of pace. Not his forte, decent jockey though he is. He's fine in small fields when he can dictate but panics when there are horses of similar ability forcing him to go faster. I always think Scu loses his head a bit.

Nice performance from Don Poli. Think they have been a bit quick to downplay him up until now, and hope they consider the RSA now instead of the 4 miler.
Apache Stronghold on better ground would be interesting also.

Kings Palace sets the standard but if the RSA turns in to a war then Don Poli won't be found wanting.

Looking forward to seeing the Hobbs horse again. Has an entry on Thursday.

Back