Novice chasers 2014/15

I didn't see the race today, but it is impossible to knock Kings Palace on what he's done over fences to-date. He'll be out front in the RSA and away from any trouble, and I've few concerns about a bigger field bringing the wagon to a halt.

I usually reserve judgement until much nearer the time, in the Novice Chases.....but KP looks like the real deal to me.

Charging off in front will suit Nico on Coneygree just fine
I can see Tom haring off and Coneygree picking him up off coming to the second last and seeing it out well upthe hill

What was lovely about Don Poli was the way he pricked his ears at the finish, still fresh.
Apache painted the inside of the rail all the way around for better ground but from the second last could not do that.
Definitely better for better ground as Frankel said.

Looks like Apache won't be going over three miles again this season.

PJ Moriarity a possibility.

would think that race will have valseur lido and Shanahans Turn

Nice performance from Don Poli. Think they have been a bit quick to downplay him up until now, and hope they consider the RSA now instead of the 4 miler.
Apache Stronghold on better ground would be interesting also.

Kings Palace sets the standard but if the RSA turns in to a war then Don Poli won't be found wanting.

Looking forward to seeing the Hobbs horse again. Has an entry on Thursday.

I haven't exactly been keeping up to date as I usually do and I thought I was hearing things when someone mentioned the 4 miler after yesterdays race.

Why anyone would want to run a horse quick enough to win the Martin Pipe and a race like yesterdays is beyond me.

Don Poli looks way too good to be sending for that crappy old race and if they do go there they deserve to be shot at dawn.

All the National Hunt Chase Challenge Cup is good for is producing a bunch of horses no one will ever remember

Maybe he isn't good enough to beat this Kings Palace ( I am reserving judgement until I can watch KP run) but surely when you have a horse like Don Poli you would want to at least try with a future Gold Cup attempt in mind.

Had a look at Kings Palace and he looks like a very nice horse but....there's always a but...He looked the part early doors over hurdles so much so he went off favourite for the AB at the festival but failed miserably.

Taking into account the horse he has beaten twice this season S Sunrise also failed to make his mark at Cheltenham the form isn't exactly anything to write home about. He was also going nowhere when he fell the other day at Kempton.

The race in which Don Poli ran in looked a much better contest and he didn't have things all his own way like Kings Palace has to date over fences.

As I said he's a nice horse but with a bit to prove before I would be running for the hills to avoid him

Had a look at Kings Palace and he looks like a very nice horse but....there's always a but...He looked the part early doors over hurdles so much so he went off favourite for the AB at the festival but failed miserably.

Taking into account the horse he has beaten twice this season S Sunrise also failed to make his mark at Cheltenham the form isn't exactly anything to write home about. He was also going nowhere when he fell the other day at Kempton.

Like I've said before King's Palace wasn't prepared properly for the AB and ended up running too fresh. Won't happen this season.

SS hated Kempton, he never travelled.

Coneygree in the race Euro could make this no holds barred. That would be a slight concern for KP backers. Don Poli will lap it up.
KP may well still be able to see it out but a less taxing race would be more ideal I would have thought.

Ptit Zig and Champagne West line up in The Dipper tomorrow. That should be a good race.

Whisper lines up at Exeter also.

Exactly what I was expecting to see. Lovely horse the winner. The runner up jumped much better as expected. Very likeable too.

So did I until that race. Very accurate jumper with a proven engine. Has to be in the shakeup come the spring.

That was such a nice form boost for Josses Hill. The Henderson form doesn't bother me overmuch, Whisper and Beat That probably needed it and that's probably as good as Vaniteux is.

It takes a leap of faith - possibly even more than one - to interpret the Dipper as a 'form boost' for Josses Hill, Euro.

i'm really quite taken with Ptit Zig. I didn't think he jumped particularly well down the side of the course, and was pleased with how well he ran-on at the end. It was another very-decent outing, and if we didn't have UDS or Vautour in training, I reckon he'd be clear-fave for the two shorter novice chases at the Festival. In fact, given he was rated around 160 himself as a hurdler, there's a case to be made that he should already be fave in both events, given he's achieved much more at this stage over fences, than the Irish horses.

Last edited:
Back