Novice chasers 2014/15

The only hope with Josses Hill is that when it has had to jump at pace he has been a different horse.......he is going to get that alright!!!!!!

Smashing horse, little bit of a tearaway, 2nd horse only won last time because Vautour FU, didn't learn that much with AP's running no sort of race.

If the bookies cut him for the Arkle I wouldn't back him again as you have no idea how he will react to pressure.....would love to see him do a Dunkirk and take off like a rocket nothing get near him and make all

could easily happen tbh. mainly as i don't see much willing to take him on. think you'll get josses, clarcam, sgt reckless.....any others? think gilgamboa might go jlt now.

Just need the word 'soft' to appear in the going but that should be a given on the first day. Impossible to back at current prices but happy with 5/1 plus Slim's double.

The pace he'll set will suit Vibrato Valtat perfectly. Still don't think he'll be able to go past this beast though.

as i don't see much willing to take him on. think you'll get josses, clarcam, sgt reckless....
I like Sgt Reckless's profile, he could still prove to be very good, but after hearing these reports (havn't see the race yet) it sounds like the win part of an e/w bet is pissing in the wind.
Mick Channon is waiting for better ground, but my gosh he needs to get another run into him over fences and soon.

Last edited:
could easily happen tbh. mainly as i don't see much willing to take him on. think you'll get josses, clarcam, sgt reckless.....any others? think gilgamboa might go jlt now.

Just had alook through the James and said on another thread he should be 1/4. JH is clumsy at best and absolute certainty to go though one or two fast pace or not.then there is nothing to fear

I like Sgt Reckless's profile, he could still prove to be very good, but after hearing these reports (havn't see the race yet) it sounds like the win part of an e/w bet is pissing in the wind.
Channon is waiting for better ground, but my gosh he needs to get another run over into him fences and soon.

That's exactly my feeling too. Reckless is my Arkle horse and I'm not about to desert him. I think he'll be charging up the hill.

I'm hoping there are one or two decent novice events coming up, Dan. I'm not sure what the programme book looks like, but another run over fences is a must.
I'd still rather have him in the e/w market than the horses that todays winner clearly has the beating of, namely Gilgamboa and Clarcam.

Tremendous performance from UDS. Been out all day so only just watched it but he hammered them and if anything, slightly better ground has suited him. My doubts about him were way off.

My e/w ticket on Josses Hill might just be running for a place....

I'm hoping there are one or two decent novice events coming up, Dan. I'm not sure what the programme book looks like, but another run over fences is a must.
I'd still rather have him in the e/w market than the horses that todays winner clearly has the beating of, namely Gilgamboa and Clarcam.

Same Marble, I've just had a look at a few of the sites for various courses and unless there's something at Donny on 5th Feb then I suspect he may be struggling.

There's never been any absolute confirmation that it's UDS/Arkle and Vautour/JLT, Aragorn, but connections have dropped strong-enough hints that Vautour can easily go up in trip, whereas they appear to think UDS is strictly a two-miler.

Slim Chance also marked cards at the start of the season, that this was the way connections expected to go. I won't betray how he established this, as he obviously doesn't want it getting out that he offers wanks to stable-lads, for scraps of critical betting information.

Some lads guess, others know.

Same Marble, I've just had a look at a few of the sites for various courses and unless there's something at Donny on 5th Feb then I suspect he may be struggling.

The Kingmaker at Warwick is about the last pre-Arkle opportunity for a 2m novice-chaser in the UK.

Pricewise on the Arkle tomorrow. Who do we think?

'Challengers' will be thin on the ground. Vibrato Valtat or Sgt Reckless maybe.

Gods Own highly-tried outside novice company this season, and not entirely disgraced.

At around 40/1, he strikes me as one that Segal might put up against the jolly.

It's got to the point where I wish the RP would pull the pricewise festival ante post column.

Originally whatever he selected was shortening as soon as the selections were out, which is sort of understandable given the lemmings who would follow him blindly but nowadays the bookies just use it as an excuse to shorten everything the day before in anticipation of what he might pick.

Ladbrokes have cut Vibrato Valtat from 20s into 14s today and while it could be argued that it's in light of the resounding defeats for Clarcam & Gilgamboa yesterday, he's one of a small handful of likely Segal picks at 8:00 tonight.

It's also becoming slightly tedious listening to him trying to avoid the obvious ones such as Faugheen & Un De Sceaux in an ante post era which is now so dominated by Mullins that they'll soon be pricing up "without" AP markets.

The handicap weights obviously aren't out for a while so look at the other markets on Day 1;

Douvan best priced 2/1
Un De Sceaux 10/11
Faugheen 5/4
Annie Power 5/4
Don Poli 4/1

Last edited:
Back