Novice chasers 2014/15

Nice performance by Southfield Theatre. Hollow Penny a decent yardstick. Slight worry that STD had to wake him up a bit early on

Decent performance from Southfield Theatre but as viking says, you wouldn't want the mortgage on after seeing him "encouraged" with a circuit to go...Also very nice start for Irish Saint who jumped round Sandown perfectly

Highlight of the weekend for me though was Gilgamboa yesterday at Navan. Hi jumping was fantastic and think he'll be near the top of the 2 milers

The 2.5 miler on the Friday is always a smart race. Previous winners/runners - Taquin, Oscar Whisky, Dynaste, Fingal Bay, Grand Crus, Cue Card etc. and the 5 day entry looks strong

The stable tour seemed to me to confirm previous murmurings that the initial plan is to stick to hurdles this year. He mentions that there has been a slight sprint problem and then in another sentence that he is yet to school a fence.

As opposed to; he's had a slight setback which has delayed him from schooling a fence. Very ambigous though and I'm still none the wiser.

Maybe he wants to avoid Un De Sceaux and Vautour ?

and wait for Faugheen :D

Last edited:
No good reason I can think of, not to enter Vautour in the Drinmore. His price is holding-up in the ante-post novice-chase markets, so perhaps nothing sinister in it, but I wouldn't be shocked to hear he's met with some kind of setback.

Unless he's schooled like a pig, and hurdling is back on the agenda - which I'd happily stand for.

Last edited:
I'm still wondering what went on a few weeks back when PP went a standout 9s (from c. 5) for the Arkle.

They eventually relented but it took a couple of weeks and it wouldn't fill me with confidence that he'll be running over fences at the opening day come March.

It was about the same time Mullins juniour said Un De Sceaux was a definite Arkel horse and that Vautour would have no problem stepping up in trip...

Yes, I remember that Perp but these are Cheltenham ante-post markets where bookies notoriously shrink a horse every time he's even entered in a race throughout the season - without lengthening the opposition - so would Patrick's comments alone be sufficient to warrant the horse nearly doubling in price ?

Especially so given that Mullins appears to be the antithetical AP O'Brien insomuch that whereas all of the Ballydoyle horses will have the speed to drop back in trip, the Closutton horses all seem to be able to go the other way !

Last edited:
Back