Novice chasers 2014/15

I don't know, but the 9/1 was big enough to entice me in as didn't think PP had any great insight on Mullins. Was going to keep adding at the reduced price, but Patricks comments have put me off

Walsh does a column for Paddy Power and they presumably have a degree of insight as a result. Inference is that UDS is the Arkle horse, and Vautour is the JLT horse, hence why PP went biggest about the latter in thr Arkle market (and shortest in the JLT market).

Hope I'm not giving any state-secrets away, Slim!

Last edited:
Probably best UK novice chase of the season so far at Cheltenham tomorrow

Not really a punting race for me as wouldn't be surprised if any of the top 5 won it, but may back Urban Hymn if it's soft

It's a punting race for me. I'm against Colour Squadron because the conditions won't suit and Dell Arca should stay hurdling.

Champagne West is quite tidy at 4s. Always been partial to a chaser from this yard.

It's a punting race for me. I'm against Colour Squadron because the conditions won't suit and Dell Arca should stay hurdling.

Champagne West is quite tidy at 4s. Always been partial to a chaser from this yard.

Dickie Johnson said tonight at the preview that Champagne West would be seen to better effect over further.
Dell Arca for me

No good reason I can think of, not to enter Vautour in the Drinmore. His price is holding-up in the ante-post novice-chase markets, so perhaps nothing sinister in it, but I wouldn't be shocked to hear he's met with some kind of setback.

Unless he's schooled like a pig, and hurdling is back on the agenda - which I'd happily stand for.

I was listening to Patrick Mullins on the Racing Post podcast, and he was expecting Vautour to run in the next few weeks.

A strange conclusion from Dickie, when he presumably had the option of riding Colour Squadron. In fact I really can't figure out the thought processes of Hobbs and Johnson here. Why is Colour Squdron running here and, now he is, why is Johnson riding the other one claiming it needs further.

I thought it a little odd myself Maruco... On closer inspection, Johnson has never ridden CS over fences.
Tom O'Brien rode CS at 12/1 in the PP last year, while Johnson rode Wishful Thinking at 33/1.
Having said that, CS was off a very low weight of 10-2 last year so maybe Dickie couldn't do that weight?
However, Tom O'Brien still rode CS LTO in Newton Abbot as the 13/8 Fav and Johnson was at the track as he rode Uncle Jimmy is the previous race.
Anytime McCoy has not ridden CS over fences, O'Brien has. I can only assume he is JP's preferred 2nd choice Jockey, for this horse anyway.

Last edited:
I don't think its anymore than Johnston looking after his own interests, CW is a nice prospect and Johnston would see Brookhouse as more important to him than Mcmanus.

If Hobbs thought either was a world beater I don't think he'd run both. CS is a dodge-pot and the other one is running over the wrong trip. Either could win but I don't see how you could back them.

It's probably a no bet race for me, but if I had to have a go I'd back Splash of Ginge. Improved for his first run and showed a good attitude. At the prices he'd be the one for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A strange conclusion from Dickie, when he presumably had the option of riding Colour Squadron. In fact I really can't figure out the thought processes of Hobbs and Johnson here. Why is Colour Squdron running here and, now he is, why is Johnson riding the other one claiming it needs further.

Dickie said rather diplomatically that Colour Squadron is now 12lb higher than in last years Paddy Power and he always seems to find a way of getting beat.

He's only 6lb higher than in the Byrne Group though, and there's nowt in this race that looks remotely as well in as Ballynagour was that day

As it's a small stakes race I'll give Colour Squadron one last chance at the 9/4 with Billy's in the hope that should he throw in the towel yet again then surely he'll still finish second to give me a free £25 bet to lose on tomorrow's racing.

A nice looking beginners chase at Punchestown tomorrow sees Valseur Lido make his debut over fences. His stable companion Abbey Lane, Ted Walsh's Champagne James and the Gordon Elliott's Plan A are the main opposition.

Back