Novice chasers 2014/15

I love watching them, I often wonder should horses like Back in Focus, Teaforthree, Midnight Chase etc not attempt the 3m5f Grade 1 races in France.

Along with Irish Stamp, I've been banging this particular drum for years. It's a no fu*cking brainer, and they're worth a fortune.

Getting one ready for the Grande-Steeplechase de Paris is a bit tricky, if they've been on the go all winter (though it's only a handful of weeks after Punchestown), but there's no reason why a good stayer can't target the Jousselin in November, rather than the Betfair or Hennessy - for a purse about the same value as those races combined.

Last edited:
Didn't Reve have a go for Nick Williams? Just in case walking through French fences was any easier than UK fences :cool:

Glad he's back over hurdle these days, scary to watch over fences at times...

Anyway, Novice chasers, Don Poli wins the RSA. I might be firing the Don Double as well as I quite like Don Cossack.

Along with Irish Stamp, I've been banging this particular drum for years. It's a no fu*cking brainer, and they're worth a fortune.

Getting one ready for the Grande-Steeplechase de Paris is a bit tricky, if they've been on the go all winter (though it's only a handful of weeks after Punchestown), but there's no reason why a good stayer can't target the Jousselin in November, rather than the Betfair or Hennessy - for a purse about the same value as those races combined.

Just on that subject, when Bromley & co. go over there on the scrounge do they buy their best animals or cast offs? I know 10-15 years ago the general consensus was they'd sell us overpriced mules whilst laughing all the way to the bank. If we're now taking the cream of the crop then why aren't their owners keeping hold of them to win these big pots?

I have little to no knowledge of the French game but was just wondering how it works over there. Is it like domestic Dutch football where they sell off their best players, leaving them with an inferior domestic league?

Theres not much of a programme in France Bear outside the two chases Grassy names Bear and so its often smarter to sell the good uns at £300k a pop than train them in the hope they'll win a Jousselin or Grand Steeple. Plus you don't win those races until you're a bit older so you have to wait to cash in... Or not...

I should add that there is a very good programme for young horses though, hence why they are often, or were often, referred to as precocious because they start training earlier than a typical Irish store horse for instance.

Thanks. Very informative. I suppose your second post explains why the French Breds tend to have a shorter shelf life over here?

Last edited:
Thats a myth in my opinion and I've never seen any empirical evidence to back it up but it no doubt drives the perception.

Kauto ran in chases in France at a very young age and did what he did. Edredon Bleu, L'Ami, Quevega, Master Minded are all French breds that succeeded here over a number of seasons although not all started in France. A good chunk of Mullins current stars come from those types of French races and programmes, although we'll have to see how long they last. Mikael D'Haguenet and Pont Alexandre would be two you could point to that haven't fulfilled their early potential after coming from France.

One thing they all seem to have in common is that if you teach horses to jump when they are younger, they tend to be better jumpers.

Fair enough, although I wouldn't really include Master Minded in that list. He was past his best at quite a young age.

This just made me laugh from Gordon Elliott about Clarcam

'To be fair, we probably tried to follow Un De Sceaux too closely last time and without being too negative, maybe we’ll give him more of a chance at Cheltenham and look to arrive on the scene a bit later.”

When he says later I'm guessing he means about 100 yards after the winning post where Ruby will already be half way through his interview with Plunkett.

Possibly but he'd run in 28 races before his career was ended by injury, won the Champion at 5 and coming into that fateful KG he had won 5 of his last 7 with his defeats coming when trying to give Albertas Run a stone and on quicker ground in the CC against Sizing Europe. By that point he wanted a bit further and some give and probably wasn't as quick as he was but isn't that true of most horses? I loved Master Minded in case you wondered!!! I was at Sandown the day he made his British debut (And backed him - cue after timing pelters) and enjoyed watching him immensely throughout his career.

That first QM win was outstanding. I can't even remember what I backed that day and I don't even care. He was just untouchable.

Given the overall weakness of the race, and the fact a few might not even go, I've taken Doing Fine for the NH Chase. Stayed on well LTO over 3m2f and beat Caroles Destrier on it's chasing debut, albeit getting a bit of weight. Trainer has previous in this race too. Thoughts?

First time poster here. Johnny Burke announced last night that Smashing is to go for the Arkle and reckons he can follow UDS home. Form of his runs this season stacking up pretty well. 20/1 Skybet w/o UDS looks a good bet IMO.

Looking at the RSA form tonight. The doubts which I have over the top contenders below

Kings Palace - last years festival to an extent and also the low runner field history of all his wins

Don Poli -2 chases, beat a slow to develop probable 4 miler and a class horse who failed to stay.

Coneygree - unlikely runner maybe, brittle horse

All I can say is that I will be broken if they don't run Don Poli in this. He is going to hammer this lot if he runs and will be gold cup favourite by the end of the week.

Looking at the RSA form tonight. The doubts which I have over the top contenders below

Kings Palace - last years festival to an extent and also the low runner field history of all his wins

Don Poli -2 chases, beat a slow to develop probable 4 miler and a class horse who failed to stay.

Coneygree - unlikely runner maybe, brittle horse

Iv'e been a Coneygree man all season with DP the main danger but The Young Master is really speaking to me, some top handicap form this season and BJ Geraghty booked, he should be right there at the business end.

Last edited:
DP looks a poor fave in the RSA, even if he does run there. He hasn't had enough experience, and has basically shown no more over fences than Wounded Warrior, who is a) upwards of 5 x the odds for the RSA, or b) destined to run in the 4-miler.

DP looks a poor fave in the RSA, even if he does run there. He hasn't had enough experience, and has basically shown no more over fences than Wounded Warrior

:blink:

I'm a big fan of WW but which spout of shite did you pull that from?!! :lol: Don Poli beat him comfortably on his debut when WW was second time up and I think the Topaz is the best staying novice chase form bar Coneygree. I have to say, I am hoping they go GC with Coneygree. Ive stopped backing DP since Coneygree's race at Newbury.

Don Poli is a massive negative on the stats. I can kind of get over the 6 year old one because not that many actually give it a go and some have run well without winning. What's more concerning is his lack of a run this year and is lack of experience over fences. The latter one is what concerns Mullins IMO. There is no hiding place in the RSA.

Back