Novice Chasers 2015/16

Ar Mad has put in an impossible performance there..in fact the figures show he would have beaten SDG quite comfortably if he had run in the Tingle Creek.

I don't think i've ever seen this sort of performance from a novice chaser.

In each section of the race Ar Mad beat or near on equalled equalled SDG..and his finishing time from two out was an amazing 3 seconds quicker than SDG.

The times show that Ar Mad would have gone the early pace in the Tingle Creek and finished a lot quicker than SDG. Even allowing for the 5lb less he carried he can be rated off the scale if SDG has run to something like a mid 160's figure. The overall time for Ar Mad from the first fence to the finish is 4.55 seconds faster [25lbs] than SDG's time...that is impressive ...but the individual sections reveal an even more unreal picture.

Ar Mad
Fence 1 to Fence 3 = 67.0
Fence 3 to fence 7 = 47.4
Fence 7 to fence 10 = 25.7
Fence 10 to Fence 12 = 51.1
Fence 12 to finish = 27.3

Sire De Grugy
Fence 1 to Fence 3 = 67.1
Fence 3 to fence 7 = 48.1
Fence 7 to fence 10 = 25.5
Fence 10 to Fence 12 = 51.7
Fence 12 to finish = 30.6

The usual feeling with an overall time is..oh well the novice would have been having to go faster early if he had been in the tingle creek and so would have paid later......in fact exactly the opposite has happened when you see the split times.....SDG has consistently run slower in each section..bar one...and his finishing effort from 2 out was 3.3 seconds..or about 16 length slower than Ar Mad's.

Ar Mad has put in the most extraordinary run here.

i can't recall exactly but I think they missed the pond fence out for the novices but not the tingle creek.

Last edited:
not quite true. They announced early on they were missing it because of the sun and it then did cloud over a bit

Thanks for posting about it, Perp........I hadn't seen the entry, but had a decent bet on the back of you mentioning it.

Minella Rocco pulled up after an awful mistake. Not quite the start to his chasing career connections imagined...

Blaklion wins for the first time in a long while.

Indeed. Didn't see a noticeable mistake from Blaklion so no surprise he won after travelling so well last time

Disappointing turnout tomorrow with only Padge and Sametegal taking on More of That. Bet he’s still cut for the RSA if winning…

Indeed. Didn't see a noticeable mistake from Blaklion so no surprise he won after travelling so well last time

Disappointing turnout tomorrow with only Padge and Sametegal taking on More of That. Bet he’s still cut for the RSA if winning…

Jonjo not ruling out sending More of That to the Gold Cup come March after another decent victory. 33/1 with PP, 14/1 with WH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If the principals all make it, it's going to be the best Gold Cup in probably 20+years. It won't be any place for a novice, and Hills price is an utter joke.

Coneygree was in part put in the Gold Cup last year because it looked a very winnable renewal. This is not the case this time around.

Sent from my MediaPad M1 8.0 using Tapatalk

Jonjo not ruling out sending More of That to the Gold Cup come March after another decent victory. 33/1 with PP, 14/1 with WH.
Daft idea
I know he'll be an 8yo in March but he's still very lightly raced, Hopefully JP will put the mockers on it.

On Jonjo's website today

He's learned a lot from today, which was the main thing," Jonjo said. "He never shines at home, but the nice thing about him is that he's always there at the end!" However, as well as going up in trip for the RSA Chase at the Cheltenham Festival, connections have not ruled out the possibility of coming back in distance for the JLT Chase or even going for the Timico Cheltenham Gold Cup.
"He has plenty of pace for two and a half, he has the stamina for three, so it's options open. We'll talk to JP but he could go either way. That's the first part of his season dealt with, and now we'll make a plan for where we go from here. From day one of schooling him he's been smashing, so we'll just see how he goes.
"I'm very happy and he did everything well. That might be it until Cheltenham, but we will see what is around for him. He won't be over-raced, we will just give him a bit of experience and see. We would have to talk to the boys, but I would not be afraid to stick him in the Gold Cup."
[TABLE="class: otherPosts"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="width: 20%"][/TD]
[TD="width: 40%, align: right"][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

I read that as 'enter him for the Gold Cup just in case a few of the fancied ones don't get there'. Reasonable enough but he'd need more race experience before then if it's to be a serious option in March.

Re- the novice chase at Plumpton tomorrow...I wonder if the prices would be the same were Cloonacool trained by Venetia Williams and Zandy Man by the up-and-coming Edmunds? I think they've priced up the yards at present!

But anyway, come on the Cloon!

Last edited:
To add, Zandy Man rated 20 pound higher with hurdles rating than Cloonacool, but I think 156 is a inflated....finishing second to a half fit The New One doesn't warrant anything more than a 145 rating, imo.

Regardless it doesn't tell us what they can do over fences anyway. Cloonacool too big at 4's.

Last edited:
Back