Novice Chasers 2015/16

There are some grounds for thinking Monksland could reverse the form some day with No More Heroes. He only had a week back to his previous run and he made a few little mistakes which cost him ground. Both horses should be better over further, Monksland got 3m over hurdles and NMH certainly looks and is bred to be a stayer. I don't see the result changing, but Monksland is certainly entitled to have another go at taking on NMH.

Last edited:
There are some grounds for thinking Monksland could reverse the form some day with No More Heroes. He only had a week back to his previous run and he made a few little mistakes which cost him ground. Both horses should be better over further, Monksland got 3m over hurdles and NMH certainly looks and is bred to be a stayer. I don't see the result changing, but Monksland is certainly entitled to have another go at taking on NMH.

He jumps his fences quite low, could imagine him catching one wrong in March and that being it.

Monksland was out again pretty quickly but I can only see NMH pulling away from him further up the Leop finish

I cannot see any circumstances under which Monksland can reasonably be expected to reverse the form. I think NMH could be the real deal - I'm very taken with him.

I was very impressed with NMH over hurdles this time last year. I'd like to see that he's 'become a man' over fences before having an interest for Cheltenham.

AP said that More Of That was a horse that could go right to the top over fences and Ruby said that he was the first on his list of AP's rides that he would like to steal. Should be favourite for the RSA in my view.

I don't understand why More of That should be fav? He wasn't impressive at Cheltenham and NMH has gone out and looked top class if every race this season. Should he be fav coz AP thinks he's good?

To be honest, I'm more impressed with Ruby's judgement but his hurdle form is way superior to that of NMH and we know he'll get the trip up the hill in March without ducking behind other horses.
I can agree that 6/1 isn't a great price this far out but it's more merited than NMH.

Last edited:
That's the argument that kept Peddlers Cross ahead of Sprinter Sacre in the Arkle market up until the latter handed the former his arse at Kempton.
I'll match your Peddlers Cross and raise you Tiutchev and Moscow Flyer.
NMH is certainly highly thought of and talented but he chucked away the Bartlett in March. He reminds me a little of Don Cossack and, like that one, may need another year to come through properly.

The form of More of That's world hurdle is rock solid. Built to jump a fence, he looks the real deal.
No More Heroes was always going to be a better chaser than hurdler. Winning/not winning the AB is kind of irrelevant. Messy finish, he was bang there.

Both have been impressive and I can't see how anyone could be staunchly in one camp or the other. Both look top class chasers in the making and deserve their place at the top of the market. Respect to both, it's a salivating race in prospect in March.

To be honest, I'm more impressed with Ruby's judgement but his hurdle form is way superior to that of NMH and we know he'll get the trip up the hill in March without ducking behind other horses.
I can agree that 6/1 isn't a great price this far out but it's more merited than NMH.

I think you're reading too much into his hurdles form, archie, as NMH is clearly gearing-up to leave that well behind, based on Sunday's run. Besides, what can he reasonably have been expected to prove in one season?

Also think you do NMH a bit of an injustice saying he ducked-in behind in the Bartlett - he just didn't a clear run. As things stand, More Of That has more to prove over fences than NMH, in my view. :cool:

It's all about opinions, Grassy, but the passage of time has probably obscured the fact that MOT was joint highest rated hurdler for 2013/4 and he's the only one to beat Annie Power fair and square. Way way ahead of NMH on hurdle form which still has a certain relevance. Neither are attractive betting propositions for a race as tough as the RSA this far out, MOT because of his problem last season and NMH because of his immaturity.

He never chucked the AB race....he was taken out by the winner. Bottom line for me is based solely on what we have seen this season over fences. and that is why NMH is clear fav. More of That needs to improve a lot on his last outing.

Cracking little race at Exeter this afternoon. I've been gagging to see Tea For Two take in a fence, he jumped those fixed brush things like he was ready for one the other week. I think 10/3 is fair - Calipto brings a certain level of form to the race but trip and ground today aren't ideal and he has a penalty. Golden Doyen I like as a horse but he looks a tricky jumper.

Nicholls must think a fair bit of Bouvreuil to run him first time out in a Grade 1 tomorrow
Shaped nicely in the Greatwood but just blew up as if he needed it
Bristol De Mai looks very good but 10/1 is fair for a small interest.

Certainly deserves his place in the race Fonz on his FW 2nd as does his stable companion AS Dee Mee T who beat another stable companion of theirs here last season.

While lightning could strike twice I have to agree Bristol De Ma looks pure class and you would have to think he was badly needing it when 2nd to Garde La Victoire, a race he improved bundles from

PN did take Bristol De Ma's scalp with All Yours over hurdles but I doubt if either of his will be getting many locks of hair today.

Bristol De Mai looks a real value bet IMO he should be odds on after his outstanding jumping performance at Warwick

Back