Novice Chasers 2016/2017

it was up until 2010, they waited for KS to win it for 3 more years but he wasn't a world beater like some people try to make him now, including Ruby.

Surprised no mention of Coney Island in the Drinmore (edit - just read a little in the Fairyhouse weekend thread)

Excluding Thistlecrack, to my mind that was the most impressive performance by a staying novice so far this season. Travelled great, jumped beautifully under Mark Walsh and looked the likeliest winner from a long way out. It’s been a while since Captain Cee Bee, but maybe he’s the one to give Eddie Harty another festival winner…

Last edited:
Surprised no mention of Coney Island in the Drinmore (edit - just read a little in the Fairyhouse weekend thread)

Excluding Thistlecrack, to my mind that was the most impressive performance by a staying novice so far this season. Travelled great, jumped beautifully under Mark Walsh and looked the likeliest winner from a long way out. It’s been a while since Captain Cee Bee, but maybe he’s the one to give Eddie Harty another festival winner…

I was really taken and thought the RSA would be right up his street but his sire puts me off.

I'm no breeding expert so am open to being corrected but with a couple of notable exceptions - who both incidentally had the same dam's sire (Le Moss) - his progeny haven't been known for their festival exploits, although if we got a soft ground festival he'd come into the reckoning for the shorter JLT I suppose.

it was up until 2010, they waited for KS to win it for 3 more years but he wasn't a world beater like some people try to make him now, including Ruby.

God loves a trier, but it's time for a different tune, or moniker. This one is worn out.

From Wikipedia,

Kauto Star (19 March 2000 – 29 June 2015) was a French-bred National Hunt champion racehorse who was trained by Paul Nicholls in Somerset and owned by Clive Smith. He won the Cheltenham Gold Cup twice, in 2007 and 2009, becoming the first horse to regain the cup after losing it in 2008 when seven lengths behind Denman.[1] He tried for three more years to win the race again, but the best placing he could achieve was in 2011 when third behind Long Run.[2] He also won the King George VI Chase a record five times. He was one of the most successful steeplechasers of modern era finishing his racing career with a National Hunt record of £3,775,883 in earnings, which consisted of £2,375,883 in race prize money,[3] £1,000,000 bonus for the completion of 2006/2007 Stayers Chase Triple Crown and also £400,000 reward for heading the BHA Table of Merit in the same 2006/2007 season.

God loves a trier, but it's time for a different tune, or moniker. This one is worn out.

You missed the play, reet asked if Betfair chickened out. They had the bonus up until 2010 so no one was scared of KS winning it again, they just ran out of that publicity stunt for their newly introduced race. Its now put up by Jockey Club in honour of KS.

Likely JLT type but that race could be very hot by the March

With the pace to win a decent 2m2f maiden hurdle, winner over 3 miles and now a Grade 1 win over 2m4f and going on 6 the future looks very bright .
Eddie sure to keep him away from extremes of going and he could JP's next Gold Cup hope .Fingers crossed.
Eddie was very positive about him after his debut chase run so obviously rates him very very highly.; I thought they were kicking for a nice 142 rating pre Novice's handicap at Festival, a race JP used farm once upon a time.
That plan is well busted now.

The 4th highest rated Chaser of all time who won 5 King George Chases deserves every accolade bestowed upon as you do for the craziest fooked up poster of all time :blink: But make no mistake the place would be a lot more boring without you:)

Tanlic, no one took those accolades away, they were posted when he retired and later when he passed away. The world-beater is just an obvious fact, if he had been then he would've continued to win the bonus up until 2010 because all the races are about the same distance. They're just 3 races over 3 miles against same staying chasers opponents, its not the UK flat's triple crown ffs with different trips and different adversaries all best at those trips.

From Wikipedia,

Kauto Star (19 March 2000 – 29 June 2015) was a French-bred National Hunt champion racehorse who was trained by Paul Nicholls in Somerset and owned by Clive Smith. He won the Cheltenham Gold Cup twice, in 2007 and 2009, becoming the first horse to regain the cup after losing it in 2008 when seven lengths behind Denman.[1] He tried for three more years to win the race again, but the best placing he could achieve was in 2011 when third behind Long Run.[2] He also won the King George VI Chase a record five times. He was one of the most successful steeplechasers of modern era finishing his racing career with a National Hunt record of £3,775,883 in earnings, which consisted of £2,375,883 in race prize money,[3] £1,000,000 bonus for the completion of 2006/2007 Stayers Chase Triple Crown and also £400,000 reward for heading the BHA Table of Merit in the same 2006/2007 season.

3.7m and some say he wasn't a world beater?? He's the best of our generation, and only Denman gets close.

An example of a world beater was Big Bucks, had a 16 win straight record. KS had an incredible season in 2007 and ratings don't reflect that, I agree with Ruby he was at his best in that season and IMO only Don Cossack in modern era comes close to that ability over staying trips. But a world beater in jumps racing means you can do it for couple of seasons. KS was beaten many times before becoming a legend, and after. Thats not a world beater no, the triple crown wasn't taken out because they were afraid of him. As for Denman, he was a better stayer and beat him thoroughly in the GC when he had an healthy heart.

Aughex, please go and boil your fu*cking heid.

I am sick and tired of listening to your drivel and conspiracy theories.

An example of a world beater was Big Bucks, had a 16 win straight record. KS had an incredible season in 2007 and ratings don't reflect that, I agree with Ruby he was at his best in that season and IMO only Don Cossack in modern era comes close to that ability over staying trips. But a world beater in jumps racing means you can do it for couple of seasons. KS was beaten many times before becoming a legend, and after. Thats not a world beater no, the triple crown wasn't taken out because they were afraid of him. As for Denman, he was a better stayer and beat him thoroughly in the GC when he had an healthy heart.

Big Bucks was a world beater in an event that only horses that can't jump take part! Im pretty positive that you have now sold your log-in to EC1 and this is just a wind up.

Big Bucks was a world beater in an event that only horses that can't jump take part!

Can't jump but go unbeaten for 17 times in a row, thats a world beater my friend, over any sphere. A horse that is the top of his game(staying chases) but only wins half of the races does not amount to a world beater.

I can't believe we are drifting into Denman V Kauto Star. Denman was a good horse but Kauto was a legend.

Aughex is right in one sense because Kauto Star had his off days unlike Arkle who never had one throughout his chasing careers

But round Kempton in that King George no matter what that crazy 212 rating might leave you to believe you would have been lucky to split them.

It's not hard to work out how fooked up that 212 rating is.

Look at Flyingbolt 210 based on similar performance.....beating horses like Scottish Memories and Height O' Fashion who basically were nothing more than handicappers.

Flyingbolt won 6 races in 1965 but his best performance arguably came the next year in the 1966 Champion Chase which elevated him to or allowed him to keep the rating of 210. Then he caught a decease from a cow would you believe which all but ended his somewhat short but sparkling career at the top,

Forget Arkle.....You want proof how stupid the great horses rating is bordering on stupidity........Imagine Flyingbolt either having to give Sprinter Sacre in the QMCC 1 stone 4lbs or beating him by 18 lengths

If you think he could have then you probably think Arkle's 212 was justified if not then welcome to planet earth.

My money would have been on Arkle to beat Kauto by no more than a length or two, even 5 but not by 21 lengths that's just plain stupid.

When will Tycoon Prince ever be sent out over fences? Any ideas anyone? Withdrawal on the day a few Sundays back with Elliott saying nothing serious but holds no entries again for the weekend.
Elliott seemed to have high hopes for him a few months back.

Back