Novice Chasers 2016/2017

Anyone have any opinion on where the JP trio might end up at the festival?
The trio being Bleu Et Rouge, Coney Island and Anibale Fly.

I'm keen on Bleu Et Rouge, but can't get my head around which race he'll end up in.

Mullins comments make me think JLT:

I think two miles is fine for him but he'll get more time to jump over a longer trip

But he went Albert Bartlett last year, so could go RSA. Can't see him pitching up in the Arkle.

Good call with the Powers Gold Cup granger. Never thought of that.

Do you think they'll bypass Cheltenham altogether, or that he won't count if they send him?

Bleu Et Rouge entered in the Irish Arkle.

Logic (with Mullins???) would suggest that entry alone means the RSA is out of the question.

I'll chance a tickle ew for the JLT.

I couldn't have him for any of the Cheltenham novice events after the way he fumbled his way around Leopardstown.

I couldn't have him for any of the Cheltenham novice events after the way he fumbled his way around Leopardstown.

And still managed to win.
1st run over fences.

Mullins comment:

He jumps well at home but he didn't bring that to the track. I think he got a fright at the first and lost his confidence. He needs a bit more schooling,

He's undoubtedly got a decent engine to use the current buzz word and he fairly flew home that day but the bunny hopping style scared the shite out of me as I'd backed him (aftertimer alert) and he's probably only going to get one more outing under his belt before March so it's asking for a hell of a lot of improvement from 1st to 2nd runs if you're investing in his 3rd.

If that improvement comes then great but the presence of Altior and probably Min in the Arkle mean the JLT could be well contested come March so it'll need to.

All very fair points wilsonl.

I've just watched that race back, and have to agree. Jumping was shocking.
His best (probably only good jump) was at the last.

His next run should prove informative.

"He won't go to the Clarence House, but there aren't that many opportunities," he told At The Races.
"The Game Spirit attracts me. I'm not trying to compare him with Sprinter Sacre but it was a route we went down with him and Newbury's such a good track I think that's the way we'll go.

"That's the only reason you would do it [have a Champion Chase entry in case Douvan didn't turn up].
"I wouldn't [take on Douvan]. We were only six when we set out, he's seven now, and he's hopefully, if we don't bok it, got a fair few years of this.
"We've got to go down the conventional route with a young horse like this. I know it's been done before and I do think he's very good but the best way to mind him is to just do the sensible thing.

"This horse has got fantastic gears and he is very talented. He could run in a mile and a half, mile and a quarter maiden on the Flat and that's why I think he's a genuine two mile horse, I can't imagine we'll ever want to go any further.
"One day hopefully… if all goes well in a year's time from now, if Douvan and Altior come through this year unscathed, they will get to meet next year as that really will be something.

"We haven't discussed it [if Noel Fehily will ride Altior in the Arkle when Nico De Boinville is back]. We'll have to see when Nico is back. I can't deny it's an issue but it hasn't even been discussed to be fair."

With Altior on course for the Racing Post Arkle Challenge Trophy - for which he is even money favourite - Henderson is keen to look elsewhere with Buveur d'Air who took third behind his stablemate at Cheltenham last March and that could lead to a surprise return to hurdling.

"I think with Buveur D'Air we'll look to the Scilly Isles at Sandown and see what he looks like over two and a half miles," he continued.
"We always thought last year over hurdles we'd up him to two and a half and we were actually going to at Aintree, until the two mile hurdle looked an easier race.

"The Scilly Isles will tell us whether he could come into the JLT. We're going to put him in the Champion Hurdle as well."

He could be joined in the JLT Novices' Chase by dual Grade One winner Whisper with Henderson concluding he's 'certainly not an Arkle horse, but I'd think JLT rather than RSA'.

Last edited:
Would love to see it but he's obviously doing it in case Douvan misses the race for some reason..gawd forbid!!!...........he has enough on his plate with Min without taking him on

Starchitect is confirmed as running in the 2m novice race at Ayr tomorrow. He has loads in hand on official ratings but the going is set to be heavy and the blinkers are off again.

I've long held a theory that this one is being primed for the 2m4f Novice on the opening day and I can see him running badly tomorrow and being dropped by the handicapper.

Although he's shown decent form on soft and heavy ground he will be better suited by spring ground and if the handicapper drops him the 3lb or more necessary for him to be eligible for the festival race Pipe could put the blinkers on in March and with the extra half mile he'd be a real player if coming back his end of season hurdle form from last year.

Of course I could be miles off the mark as there's clearly a lot of ifs to overcome here.

Really looking forward to Politologue this afternoon

There’s a bit of hype building up with him, but hopefully he can justify it today. Course winner, grounds fine and should be up to conceding the weight if he’s as good as I hope. Waiting Patiently has looked smart and think he’s the main danger

Really looking forward to Politologue this afternoon

There’s a bit of hype building up with him, but hopefully he can justify it today. Course winner, grounds fine and should be up to conceding the weight if he’s as good as I hope. Waiting Patiently has looked smart and think he’s the main danger

I've backed Waiting Patiently but this looks a very hot race. The jumping ability of novices this season continues to amaze me and these two are right up there.

Back