Novice Chasers 2016/2017

Just spotted this Euro
I have to confess to a bit of a blind spot when it comes to Politologue, but do not write him off totally based on course form. He was travelling nicely in his novice when jinking at the last and unseating STD. That was a decent race won by North Hill Harvey

In the past Nicholls would wait for Aintree with this type of horse but he's so little firepower that he almost feels he has to go to the Festival. Ideal KG type.

Last edited:
Min took a walk in the arkle market and it's suspended on the machine now. imagine the bad news will be the forthcoming.

On the face of it the 8/1 about Top Notch in the JLT could represent value right now but despite earlier talk I find it hard to believe they'll be a in rush to drop Yorkhill back to two if it means taking on Altior - could be Champion Hurdle bound now though of course.

Last edited:
A real shame for both Willie and Rich Ricci. They've had some dreadful luck in the last few weeks.

This will also change the shape of a quite a few races.

Top Notch now best price 5/1 for JLT with all reputable firms. Mad I missed the price here. Only Buv & Yorkhill ahead of him in the betting and it now looks highly unlikely either will show up here.

There are some real decent horses in behind though DH. I was sat with the mouse hovering over 8/1 when the news re Min was pending but then came to my senses. If horses such as Coney Island and Waiting Patiently et al turn up he'll struggle and won't be much, if any shorter than he is now.

I don't disagree on the price Wilson. I've left it in the hope of getting as good or better a price come the day. However, strictly on a form basis I do fancy Top Notch. I'll be the first to admit I questioned Tanlic when he was bigging him up after his 2nd chase start. I formed my initial opinion when he lost to Charbel & Le Prezien on his chase debut. But he has impressed me more and more each run and has won his last 4 very nicely indeed. So economical over his fences... Neat and tidy and doesn't waste an ounce of energy! Now Upped to 2m4 looking no issue at all. Add to that 2 good runs at the last 2 festivals and He's a horse I want to be with come March.

Last edited:
Yes "struggle" may be too strong a word but even Hendo says he has no scope and as in his triumph and second season hurdling he's the sort who seems destined to find one or two too good on the big days.

If Yorkhill does defect - and that's not guaranteed yet - then there are a few that might switch from the Arkle to this to avoid Altior.

In his latest column for a local racing club John Hales states he has had his biggest ever EACH WAY bet on Politologue for the JLT.

Is this the same John Hales who was convinced that One Man was a Gold Cup horse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be him Bear but after he hacked up in the King George just about everyone thought the same Gordon included....he did go off a short priced favourite. Most were less convinced when he gave it a second try and really the warning signs were all there when he struggled to beat Barton Bank over 3m If he had gone Champion Chase he would have kicked Martha's Son into touch blind folded.

But fair play to the man he went to a dispersal sale and told Gordon he would spend 7000 guineas and ended up buying One Man for 68,000 Guineas and has put much into the game.

Wish him luck with Politologue if he has backed it heavily you can bet he had PN's blessing beforehand and they don't often get it wrong

Clutching at straws. Beat fair and square at Haydock.
His 3 Star novice chasers can't jump, simple.
Politologue can certainly jump. He's a beautiful jumper. It remains to be seen if he has the engine, speed and stamina to win a Grade 1 like the JLT. I was all over him the last day, and was bitterly disappointed when he was beaten, and I tend to agree that it was fair and square. The only ray of light for Politologue supporters is that He was conceding 3lbs for a 1.5 length beating and the handicapper now has him still 1lb ahead of his conquerer, waiting patiently. Who btw is 3 times his price for the JLT.

Might Bite confirmed for Donny tomorrow :), although he only has one meaningful opponent to beat and even he's rated over a stone and half below him.

Still, he'll be clear favourite for the RSA tomorrow evening.

Might Bite should be clear fave already, imo. His (losing) form is vastly superior to anything Bellshill can muster in the old country.

Yes. Can't remember which of your favourite newspaper's journos said he'll win next year's Gold Cup in a recent podcast. Wattsy ?

That may be pushing it to the extreme right now but I am a huge fan of Might Bite.

Might Bite could be one of those Aintree/kempton type horses.

i find it hard to get behind horses who come out of nowhere pretty suddenly

He was rated 148 over hurdles, PJ, so not a complete blind-sider. I reckon they knew he was a chaser all along, and were only fiddling about over hurdles.

He was rated 148 over hurdles, PJ, so not a complete blind-sider. I reckon they knew he was a chaser all along, and were only fiddling about over hurdles.

Read Nicky saying that Mite Bite has a funny brain and could be the type to get himself defeated through being a monkey

granted nicky loves a sound byte

Back