Novice Chasers 2016/2017

An impressive performance from Bellshill at Limerick today.

It will be interesting to see which way they go with Bellshill. His two runs at Cheltenham have been inexplicably bad and 5 or 6/1 for the RSA is very poor value; particularly given that he may not be an out and out stayer. I can't stop hearing Ruby's words after Yorkhill had won at Cheltenham last year saying that he would win the Arkle easily. Of course, Altior looks exceptional but a strong 2 1/2 miler is what you often need in the Arkle. That could mean Bellshill going for the one of the strongest looking (at this stage) JLT's for several years. ha...the anticipation and it's not even 2017 yet

If Min stays sound Yorkhill will be in the JLT. You had to be at Cheltenham in March and Navan in November to fully appreciate the change in Min over the summer. His whole demeanour was that of a champion. Clearly Altior has a powerful engine and may still prove the better over fences but if they both get there in one piece it should be a great race.

Last edited:
It's not like it's anew thing with him he did the same over hurdles at Sandown and when beaten at Punchestown.

Whatever is causing it it's even worse over fences so they haven't managed to correct it.

Horse that jump left or right are usually uncomfortable jumping off a certain lead so they adapt and you're stuck with it unless the physio finds something he can fix.

Cheltenham and Aintree are left handed so it wouldn't stop me backing him..Helluva horse

Likely the Cheltenham run will be his 3rd chase for Yorkhill.

Likely same for American Tom.

Min will prob get 1 more race and Bellshill bring their tally to 3 each.

Alpha Des Obeaux to head straight to the RSA according to Mouse in today's RP.

I know a lot of people fancy him and I'm sure the "but Mouse can get them ready for the day" arguments will come thick and fast but he'll have next to no chance IMHO.

ADO due a rest, I'd say - he's already run in five novice chases this season.

I could have him for the RSA, mind.

The Game Spirit can be a tough race to win but everything else seems to be heading elsewhere so Altior might get another easy race like Sprinter did.

French Opera giving 5lbs also ran that year and had won the race the year before but I doubt if the likes of Buveur D'air will get an invite.

Can't see anyone wanting to take him on that's heading for Cheltenham

No way he'll run though if UDS runs and SDG picks up the gauntlet.............Either one turns up he wont IMO

Their participation makes the Game Spirit even more likely

Last edited:
Altior has done everything on the track over the big ones at his own pace and with small fields. He hasn't been tested and until he is I remain unconvinced of his jumping. Min has put pressure on his own jumping and it's stood up so far, touch wood.

Can see a mother and father of a gamble on Min in March on the day!!

Back