Novice Chasers 2017/2018

I’ve had a decent bet at 11/8 with Bet365. Obviously missed the 6/4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bacardys is odds against tomorrow and I cannot work out why.

Two horses in the race have higher hurdle ratings, both of them have a fitness advantage and Bacardys will probably prefer a longer trip than this over fences. I expect him to win but I won't be shocked if he doesn't.

Last edited:
Didn't think too much of the ride..The problem is with these novices if you lie too far out of your ground then rush them to get into contention if they make one mistake others will follow

Last edited:
It looked like he had barely seen a fence at home. Unusual for one coming from Mullins yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looked more like a parade than a race..not sure if that was because Footpad was really good or the jockeys accepted defeat before the off. I certainly would be careful about backing the winner at short odds in a better race

Disagree Tanlic. He was fast over his fences, Brelade is a useful yardstick, and he won as he liked. He looked like a very smart prospect.

I don't know which way they'll go, but that was the sort of trial you'd want to see from a genuine Arkle contender. Petit Mouchoir will be late out and will have little chasing experience come March, and Finians Oscar would probably be better over further then the minimum. I'm just about to add him to my Festival portfolio.

Bacardys hardly jumped a fence. Just the sort to come out and win a much better race next time.

Footpad was very impressive. Slick over his fences, travelled well and plenty in hand at the end. Everything that Finians Oscar wasn't.

The only cautionary note would be that the ground was soft enough at both tracks and will be different in March.

Bacardys hardly jumped a fence. Just the sort to come out and win a much better race next time.

Footpad was very impressive. Slick over his fences, travelled well and plenty in hand at the end. Everything that Finians Oscar wasn't.

The only cautionary note would be that the ground was soft enough at both tracks and will be different in March.

The point with regards the ground is a good one Archie. What impressed me was his jumping at speed. To my eye he jumped like a Champion Chase contender not a novice. The key for me is his run in the Irish Champion Hurdle. Only beaten a length by Petit Mouchoir who is currently joint favourite for the Arkle, and would need to be equally impressive if Footpad isn't going to improve past him over fences.

Jacob may not keep the ride on Footpad - seems a bit strange to me. Quotes are from Anthony Bromley

He went on: "It will be up to Willie (where he goes), but I imagine he will be campaigned between two and two and a half miles and then see where we go. It will fit around with what else he has got."I was pleased Daryl (Jacob, retained rider) got the chance to ride him as he rode him in most races last season as he was always the second or third string in the Grade Ones in the Mullins yard. When Ruby (Walsh) had a sore hand, it was nice Daryl could go and ride him.
"Whether he will get back on him is another thing as I imagine he will be first choice in that division now.

Jacob may not keep the ride on Footpad - seems a bit strange to me. Quotes are from Anthony Bromley
It has always seemed an odd arrangement. Jacob is retained, but if the stable jockey is a bigger name then we use him....

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

That from the word go should have been run at Yanworth's pace not the oppositions............he fell because he was going a stride slower than his comfort zone

Back