Novice Chasers 2017/2018

He is a real enigma, I'll give you that much.

I think the Graded wins at the minimum trip are throwing confusion. Form-wise, I think the Xmas Hurdle and Kingwell wins amount to very little. Beating TNO at Kempton doesn't mean a great deal, imo, as that horse has (and will) never win a Grade 1 hurdle at 2-miles, and the Ch'Tibello form at Wincanton, is not much cop either. For me, it's just plain obvious that he wants a trip, but appreciate that others will take an opposing view.

The only squeak I would give him is that the Arkle division does not look particularly strong at the moment, and the race might not take a whole lot of winning (when set in a historical perspective). But even that wouldn't make him a genuine 2-miler.

Arkle Jlt it wouldn't matter he'll run his normal race and be there at the finish. I don't think the trip matters and talk of him going World Hurdle or 4m Chase is just silly.

I was one of the first if not the first person to put him up as Kings best horse on here way before he hit the big time. I was also one of the first to say he wasn't that good.

I am not a huge fan of the horse but at least unlike some I can face facts.

He's simply not a horse you can right off because the minute you do he'll jump right back up and bite your ass

Have to see where they all end up now and who buys them if the family are not interested

Be mazed if having a Gold Cup winner doesn't entice them to continue.

Don't know what his family look like but there were more than a few bodies wearing Potts scarves surrounding him after the Gold Cup

His loss will be felt on the Irish P2P scene, he was the only one really rivaling gigi with the bigger purchases - Not like the O'Leary's don't encourage monopolies either

Gigi has never impressed me. They have too may nearly horses for my liking and win very little outside of Ireland and would be nothing to talk of if not for Don Cossack

Given the volumes they deal in, a lot of Giggi's otherwise-decent horses will look like nearly merchants. If Don Cossack was the real deal, horses like Valseur Lido, Road To Riches etc, are going to look a little paler in comparison, despite being thoroughly-creditable animals themselves.

Tanlic, I knew Yanworth when he was a pony. :lol:

Last edited:
Very likeable performance from Finians Oscar there. Bar the first one where he got very low. Clearly relished the hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed Kauto Abu. Gears, Guts and Class.

His jumping wouldn't catch the eye, but plenty of time for improvement.

Messy race, but giving 8 lb's away and having to extend twice, he did it very nicely.

Very impressed with him. Is there a market for him to win any race? I'd rather go JLT but he may go Arkle. Arkle looks a poor race for me at the minute

FO showed plenty there. I thought MWTT had him two out but whether it was lack of fitness or the winner's superior flat speed, he got past him quite readily in the end.

Lovely there from Monalee. Foot perfect. Took 16s on RSA before that. Very happy with that display.

Yes he said that after alright re Xmas. But festival wise I’d imagine the RSA would be the objective. Can’t see them not running him come March & can’t see the Jewson as the target. He’s always talked of him as a 3m chaser. In his stable tour this year he said they’d start him at two and a half mile and move him up in trip as the season goes on.

Last edited:
Why? Can't be ground related. I remember atr doing a stable tour with Henry earlier in the year and they were in Monalee's stable and he said good ground would be fine for him. That's when I backed him for the AB.

Al Boum Photo is not the flashiest of sorts but does things in a rather uncomplicated way. Would hope Monalee would have too many gears for him but could be a national or 4 miler horse to note

Why? Can't be ground related. I remember atr doing a stable tour with Henry earlier in the year and they were in Monalee's stable and he said good ground would be fine for him. That's when I backed him for the AB.

Henry doesn’t like the race -that’s enough.I remember one New Years Eve meeting at Tramore a friend of mine was bending his ear about running Sizing Europe in the Ryanair-he was having none of it.It’s important to be aware of trainers likes and dislikes-my take on this is that HdB thinks he has a future Gold Cup horse on his hands.

Al Boum Photo is not the flashiest of sorts but does things in a rather uncomplicated way. Would hope Monalee would have too many gears for him but could be a national or 4 miler horse to note

Loved this fella today-it was a messy enough race and he was doing his best work at the end-will be interesting to see where he ends up when Willie shuffles the deck.

Henry doesn’t like the race -that’s enough.I remember one New Years Eve meeting at Tramore a friend of mine was bending his ear about running Sizing Europe in the Ryanair-he was having none of it.It’s important to be aware of trainers likes and dislikes-my take on this is that HdB thinks he has a future Gold Cup horse on his hands.

Someone needs to have a ******* word then.

Back