Novice Chasers 2017/2018

I'm a huge fan of the horse, but agree he is a bit of a talking horse.
He has yet to go out and prove what those closest to him have claimed.

I recall when he won his PTP, Richard Pugh speaking to ATR about it, and that the time he put up was exceptional.
I cant recall the horses, but the time (while cannot be fully relied on) was up there with 2 previous records. Pretty sure one was Faugheen.
Simonsig and Brindisi Breeze.

Joe Tizzard on the Racehour podcast pretty much ruling out the RSA for FO. Apparently no rush to send him over 3m and Dad favouring the Arkle.

Looking at it purely on paper it doesn't scream top notch Arkle, but I'd be looking for something at a price to take him on if he goes down that route.

Looking at it purely on paper it doesn't scream top notch Arkle

Part of my thinking also. It may not be his optimum, but he could well win an Arkle with no superstar in the lineup.
Also, ground on the Tuesday will be watered, at the very least.

I feel dirty talking about Cheltenham this far out.......but a summer off has me chomping at the bit :lol:

To be fair, looking at the current odds, it does not look a particularly strong Arkle.........though Petit Mouchoir and Brain Power will be no pushovers, and both are confirmed for novice-chase campaigns.

I'd still have to be against FO at the trip, regardless. He doesn't have a finishing-kick, and you need one in an Arkle.

FO did it nicely.

He presumbaly wasn’t at concert-pitch today, so probably unwise to read too much into the flat-spot he had mid-race. Connecfions entitled to be pleased with the intro.

Last edited:
FO jumped poorly early on but warmed to the task. Obviously this was no test for him after Alcala slipped up and his jumping was under no pressure after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He didn't travel or jump like an Arkle horse, but it was his debut over fences and first run of the season, so as Ardross says it turned out to be nothing more than a cross between a racecourse gallop and a fitness test after Alcala slipped up.

I hope I am wrong but there may be something not right with Alcala. He stumbled for no apparent reason well after the 11th fence and then stumbled again when he came down.

I think the word novice was appropriate with Finians he was very slow at a few ballooned a couple and may have been pushed to beat Alcala who was only in second gear when toppling over.

He certainly had the engine to get on terms but the way he was jumping he looked like he'd get caught out at the business end so it's little wonder he drifted like barge in running

All that said he can only improve for the experience but I still have my doubts about him reaching the very top despite Tizzard saying he's the best he's ever had

Petit Mouchoir declared for Punchestown tomorrow on what should be lovely jumping ground.This is the most excited I have been about a novice chaser since Sizing Europe -he is a potential Arkle winner but having said that it will be interesting to see what price Brelade will be -very hard to see him out of the places.

You’d have to think it will be a straightforward task for PM tomorrow. One to look forward to, certainly.

Alan King says Yanworth likely to be a JLT or RSA horse this season. Doesn’t think he’s an Arkle horse.

Petit Mouchoir declared for Punchestown tomorrow on what should be lovely jumping ground.This is the most excited I have been about a novice chaser since Sizing Europe -he is a potential Arkle winner but having said that it will be interesting to see what price Brelade will be -very hard to see him out of the places.

Huge plus is he can make his own running. Pretty sure Davy won't be waiting around for the dross and will set a good gallop. Slight worry that he did tend to clout the odd one but that field are unlikely to take him out of his comfort zone...fingers crossed he does well and comes home safe

Might be worth a bet to lay on the machine Luke 12.5 will surely be 7 or less if he puts in a clean round and wins unextended as you would expect.

Fairly solid back to lay-would be no surprise to see him in single figures for the Arkle before the off tomorrow.

Back