Novice Chasers 2017/2018

Really nice introduction by master at arms BG...Can't knock Yanworth he won 8 from 10 over hurdles and he looks like he'll prove much more at home over fences.

JLT beckons

PM will laugh at Yanworth if they ever come eye to eye

He would laugh and ask wtf are you doing running over 2 miles.

Highly unlikely the 2 will ever cross paths and PM barely gets 2 miles and Yanworth has the making of a top class stayer.

If 2 top novices are to clash it most likely would be Finians and Yanworth and despite the former being fav for the JLT I reckon Yanworth would beat him doing handstands

Last edited:
What about Black Corton? I didn't see the race myself, but reading the text commentary he seemed to win easily by 8 lengths, conceding weight all round.

Was already rated 150 before today so likely to go up again. Highest rated recent winner of the festival RSA was 156. Proper contender?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I got the impression from Nicholls interview that they would be putting him away until the spring, as deep-ground is against him.

Black Corton looked a fortunate winner today as the Tizzard horse seemed to be going slightly the better. It’s a long way home from the second last though so you never know. BC did clout the last which wouldn’t have helped if it had been close. I’d be looking elsewhere for the RSA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I backed BC but was lucky I thought Cooper came of the bend in a good rhythm but yards before the fence he broke that rhythm which contributed to the fall...........This is a month apart from the first couple of days he will want to forget.

Frodon almost-certainly better handicapped at this stage, archie.

BC going to find it incredibly tough now, I suspect.

Black Corton rated 150 today and giving weight away all round......surely certain to get mugged by more than a pound - even with the Potts horse hitting the deck.

I may have jumped the gun with my above question/description of Black Corton - having not seen the race - as the Tizzrd horse apparently had every chance.

However, he's run 4 times now on good ground and keeps winning. Clearly stays 3 miles and needs the better ground. Agree Grassy that the obvious thing is to put him away until the Spring and his rating will likely me mid 150's anyway.

As I said above, recent RSA chase winners have been similar mark (Might Bite 156 last year) - though appreciate with Novice Chasers, ratings not as reliable at this point.
Initially I was tempted to back him at 25/1 - but Bet Victor only firm with any price up - which made me pause. Why would no other Bookies even have a price up, especially after winning on the C&D today?

Last edited:
Novices running-up sequences in the summer/autumn are ripe for taking-on at any other time of the season, imo.

I would oppose Black Corton in just about every conceivable circumstance from here on in. He is probably a stone the wrong side of handy for winning two-bit races whilst having a fitness advantage.

Heard at the racecourse yesterday that Black Corton will be aimed at a chase at Exeter in a couple of weeks before being put away until next Summer. Imagine that will be ground dependent though.

They have to aim FO at the Arkle now, there's gonna be frig all to beat.

Doesnt look vintage at all.

This is the premier race of the festival that has suffered the most with the additional races over the last few years.

i like Sutton place a lot but he is not without his own worries and might need an extra 4f at least

Back