Novice Chases 2021-22

L'Homme Presse only up to 154 following his win in the Dipper.

It was a subs-standard renewal, which I noted beforehand, and he was a serious betting proposition at around 7/4, but he was/remains a 160+ novice all day long.

L'Homme Presse only up to 154 following his win in the Dipper.

It was a subs-standard renewal, which I noted beforehand, and he was a serious betting proposition at around 7/4, but he was/remains a 160+ novice all day long.

Agreed. Can't not run in a handicap off that.

Seen Ruby has just put Galopin Des Champs up for the Marsh.

Its got the reaction you’d expect of people sat on 25/1 RSA slips.

Last edited:
Am I wrong in thinking you need at least 3 starts over fences in order to run in the NHC?

I read something on the Betfair forum about they have to have run in two novice chases and been placed in the first four in one of them. Min rating is 120 I think it said.

I read something on the Betfair forum about they have to have run in two novice chases and been placed in the first four in one of them. Min rating is 120 I think it said.

Cheers, change the rules more than boxers. Just saw Stattler very short in the betting for the NHC, so thought about were they could get 2 more runs into him. Seems thats not an issue now.

don't think we learned too much really, not helped by several fences being omitted. obvious the engine is there and he's not short of a turn of foot.

Had me wondering for abit and she had to work harder than expected by myself at least,

On the bright side I don't think they have been in any hurry with him and he should pay them back handsomely if they continue to be patient.

Could be a Gold Cup horse one day

Chelt Festival entries for Mullins include

Bob Olinger - Brown Advisory/Turners

Galopin Des Champs - Brown Advisory/Turners

Ferny Hollow - Arkle/Turners

Blue Lord - Arkle/Turners

Run Wild Fred - Brown Advisory/Turners/National Hunt Chase

Other entries

Bravemansgame - Brown Advisory/Turners

Threeunderthrufive - Brown Advisory/National Hunt Chase

Edwardstone - Arkle

L'Homme Presse - Brown Advisory/Turners

Ahoy Senor - Brown Advisory

Last edited:
Which is which?

I have an ante-post bet annotated with 'FNC', which I think stands for 'Festival Novices chase' which in turn I have in mind as the old RSA.

Right now I've no idea what the novices races are called. It might be easier if we just named then the 2.5m Nov / 3m Nov / 4m Nov (I know it's no longer 4m but you know what I mean).

Brown Advisory = Festival Novice Chase = Old RSA (3m1f - Old Course, Wednesday)
Turners = old Marsh = old JLT (2m4f - New Course, Thursday)

Edit: I've just noticed the race distance of the Brown Advisory/RSA chase appears to have been reduced?. I'm almost certain it used to be 3-miles and about 1.5 furlongs, but it's showing on the RP website as 3m and about 80yds. I know they'll still have to come up the hill twice, but that would definitely makes it less of a test.

PS. It is possible that this change was made in previous years and I've just not noticed it! :lol:

Last edited:
Edit: I've just noticed the race distance of the Brown Advisory/RSA chase appears to have been reduced?. I'm almost certain it used to be 3-miles and about 1.5 furlongs, but it's showing on the RP website as 3m and about 80yds. I know they'll still have to come up the hill twice, but that would definitely makes it less of a test.

PS. It is possible that this change was made in previous years and I've just not noticed it! :lol:

I'm pretty sure it was an extended 3m (3m 110y?) when Might Bite won it.

Could they not just call all the novice chases after a great horse? Not one punter has a clue what each race is called anymore.

The Arkle = The 2m Novice Chase
The Vatour = The 2m 4f Novice Chase
The Denman = The 3m Novice Chase

That’s just too sensible for words, slim :). Be a lovely and fitting memorial to some of the greats. Maybe have to change from time to time - perhaps one in 2030 will be The Jonbon :p

I'd rather see the old races for example. The Mackeson Gold Cup sponsered by Ladbrokes

The Scheppes Gold Trophy sponsored by Betfair.

There are races now that have had 3 or 4 names which is nuts

Brown Advisory = Festival Novice Chase = Old RSA (3m1f - Old Course, Wednesday)
Turners = old Marsh = old JLT (2m4f - New Course, Thursday)

Wasn't there an issue about the 2nd last fence a few years back after several horses fell on the downhill run to it..when it was run over 3 miles and it was moved and the distance changed to 3m80yds....

Could they not just call all the novice chases after a great horse? Not one punter has a clue what each race is called anymore.

The Arkle = The 2m Novice Chase
The Vatour = The 2m 4f Novice Chase
The Denman = The 3m Novice Chase

Brilliant idea.

I really hope their trolling, but Galopin Des Champs to the Turners being discussed, with Bob going up in trip.

Ante post slips everywhere down the swanner :lol:

Back