Novice Chases 2021-22

Could they not just call all the novice chases after a great horse? Not one punter has a clue what each race is called anymore.

The Arkle = The 2m Novice Chase
The Vatour = The 2m 4f Novice Chase
The Denman = The 3m Novice Chase

A First World problem I know ,but Arkle never won a 2 mile chase at Cheltenham .
Why Himself is remembered with a two mile novice chase both sides of the pond is beyond me, when they have all kinds of choices.
In fairness his second chase win at Leopardstown was over 2 miles; just checked.

Last edited:
A First World problem I know ,but Arkle never won a 2 mile chase at Cheltenham , or anywhere else for that matter.
Why Himself is remembered with a two mile novice chase both sides of the pond is beyond me, when they have all kinds of choices.

Your right. No one would complain if the Gold Cup had his name. I think the modern Arkle was the first "championship" race instituted after he retired. I guess it seemed sensible at the time.

A First World problem I know ,but Arkle never won a 2 mile chase at Cheltenham .
In fairness his second chase win at Leopardstown was over 2 miles; just checked.

This argument makes my ******* brain hurt. It's the best novice race of the season contested by horses that go on to great things. Now explain the Brown Advisory or Festival Chase names to me...

Last edited:
Your right. No one would complain if the Gold Cup had his name. I think the modern Arkle was the first "championship" race instituted after he retired. I guess it seemed sensible at the time.

No he's not right. He's anything but right.

Last edited:
If the races are their to commemorate the achievements of the racehorse, it would be odd to have Istabraq as a three mile chase. Nothing worth boiling **** over I would have thought. Stilll better to commemorate horses than using the sponsors name as shorthand.

If the races are their to commemorate the achievements of the racehorse, it would be odd to have Istabraq as a three mile chase. Nothing worth boiling **** over I would have thought. Stilll better to commemorate horses than using the sponsors name as shorthand.

I would like to see races named after great horses so people know what the race is every year. It's got very little to do with commemoration. Everyone knows the Arkle is the Arkle. Isn't that a good thing?

Yeah. Id prefer the race to be the Fred Winter than the Boodles etc.and have it change each year. Isn't the JLt/Marsh/Turner's officially the Golden Miller. Anyway, I think the point that was being made that if they were to commemorate Arkle, the 3m would be more appropriate. It's hardly the must pressing issue.

The Broadway Chase has produced very few Champions the best horses ever to win it after Arkle himself were Buona Notte Killiney who both died before they could show their full potential and Denman.

As you simply can't replace the Queen Mother The Grand National The Champion Hurdle or The Gold Cup with Arkle's name,

The renamed Broadway to The Arkle Challenge Trophy was perfect as things turned out

It has been thee number one race for up and coming chaser like Flyingbolt,Pendil Moscow Flyer Sprinter Sacre Douvan Altior on their way to possible stardom. What race could be more fitting?

Bob straight to Chelt

ut De Bromhead told The Irish Times: “It’s nothing to do with ground, it’s just timing. He’s unlikely now to be honest (to go to Leopardstown). He’ll go straight to Cheltenham and it’s highly likely to be the Marsh (Turners Novices’ Chase).”

Just looking through my ante-post log for the season and sometimes I wonder about my brain farts along the way.

I just hope (against hope, probably) that some of the farts end up smelling of roses.

The one that catches my eye and has me thinking 'why?' is Vanillier.

After it won the AB I backed it for the RSA. That's entirely understandable and I could still hold out some hope for it if it ran but what the fvck possessed me to back it for the Gold Cup (unless I've typed Gold Cup in mistake for the NH Novices Chase. It was never likely to run in the Gold Cup even though novices have won it)?

I do still believe this is a serious G1 chaser and I could fancy it to win either of the staying novice chases at the festival but it's a better price now that last March for both.

You'll find out a bit more about his level on Sunday, DO, as he is due to go in a hot-looking novice at Naas. Personally, I think Farouk D'Alene has been crying-out for this trip over fences, and will be disappointed if he doesn't go close.

He wouldn't want to be running in novice chases next year with the amount of young horses coming up through the ranks

If they think Ferny Hollow is a superstar wait till they get a load of the fab four next season

Back