Novice Chases 2021-22

Ahoy Senor had a good gallop today. Lucinda Russell reckoned she’d got him jumping better, but you could have fooled me. He jumped right all the time, sometimes quite violently, and he’s never going to challenge the really top ones unless he gets it sorted.

:blink: Cant have that nonsense... For a start BE was not rated 8lbs better than Galopin Des Champs over hurdle who won his last race over hurdles off 150 but as it was a Grade 1 and he won in a canter by 12 lengths he probably would have gone up about 11 lbs had he run over hurdles again???? BE was well beaten off 158 when he fell 2 out in his next race and probably would have been dropped a couple of pounds.

He won the Grade 1 Drinmore Chase, he was flat to the boards to beat Gabynako who was stuffed next time out. I am damn sure he was asked for every ounce of strength he had that day and the money was down having been backed down to .7/2.

I can't say I have seen a better novice chaser than Galopin Des Champs and backing against him at this stage is like peeing against the wind IMO

Anyone who thinks I am getting at DO I assure you if you yourself wrote such garabge I would react just the same......To say he hasn't beeen asked to show his true ability tells me he hasn't even watched the race he won. Denis O'reagan knocked the absolute **** out of the horse for the last mile......if that wasn't asking him for his best fook knows what is.

Last edited:
Ahoy Senor had a good gallop today. Lucinda Russell reckoned she’d got him jumping better, but you could have fooled me. He jumped right all the time, sometimes quite violently, and he’s never going to challenge the really top ones unless he gets it sorted.

He did have it all his own way as the main challenger never raised a gallop...I think you're spot on but given a soft lead he'll win his fair share in the right company

Low grade stuff but I just watched the last 2m of that novice handicap at Musselburgh. I don't think we'll see many novice races in which all the runners jump so fluently. The runner-up made a slight mistake at the last but it was lovely to see novices take so nicely to fences.

Am I the only one slightly underwhelmed by GDC there?

I thought his jumping was a bit high throughout the race but he was only six lengths - call it 6lbs to allow for the ease of victory - in front of a 152 horse with GDM, a stone below the runner-up on RPRs not far away.

Jumped slightly right, other than that I thought he was good. Not even from pocket talk Id be running him in the RSA, could have gone round again.

I thought Galopin Des Champs actually jumped better last time when he gained lengths at several of his fences.

However the plan looked a bit different this time and Paul Townsend didn't look in any hurry to take it up.

At the end of the day the resut was never in any doubt and he does absolutely ooz class

Those 6/1 Gold Cup odds for next years Gold Cup may end up looking ridiculously high at the end of this season.

Willie also said that Townsend was deliberately reining him back jumping. Wanted to jump upsides horses rather than lead.

Willie also said that Townsend was deliberately reining him back jumping. Wanted to jump upsides horses rather than lead.

I think we might see a much different performance if he's allowed to bowl along in front. I think he can take good horses out of their comfort zone.

One negative re Beacon Edge (apart from not completing) was that he didn't get competitive after the mishap and even pulled himself up at one of the fences. That pretty much tells me he wouldn't have done that well today even if he'd stood up. I wonder if they'll send him back over hurdles or train him for next year's National, a la Rule The World.

I think we might see a much different performance if he's allowed to bowl along in front. I think he can take good horses out of their comfort zone.

I think I'll need to look at some sections for this. I've just watched the interview in which it was said they were going unbelievably fast. Didn't look like it to me.

Turners or Brown? I can’t see him and Bob Olinger meeting up in either one. Split them up and both races are there for the taking unless anything else suddenly sprouts wings.

Last edited:
Possibly stupid question but why was Gaillard du Mesnil such a big price for the novice races before the season started given his hurdle form (Punchestown wasn't the strongest race but his other G1 win was good and was best of the rest behind Bob at Cheltenham)?

Obviously the market has proved right and I had some reservations but just interested in what potential warning signs there could have been for him to be much longer odds than GDC and BMG before he'd even schooled.

Possibly stupid question but why was Gaillard du Mesnil such a big price for the novice races before the season started given his hurdle form (Punchestown wasn't the strongest race but his other G1 win was good and was best of the rest behind Bob at Cheltenham)?

Obviously the market has proved right and I had some reservations but just interested in what potential warning signs there could have been for him to be much longer odds than GDC and BMG before he'd even schooled.

He wouldn't be as big as the others mentioned.

Oh to have a pair of eyes that work :lol: When Paul said go on Galopin Des Champs he covered the last 4 fences 8 seconds or 32 lengths faster than those in the 73K Grade A Handicap Chase.

Plus he could hardly pull him up.....in the words of the late Peter O'Sullivan "This is the best we have seen in a very long time"

Hard to fault him at the weights and if PN has suddenly hitform I could regret having backed against CDO as much as he's a pig he's amuch better pig than any of the othe others when on song

Back