Novice Hurdlers 2011-2012

Aintree is always a nightmare. Year in year out I do OK at Cheltenham and then have a nightmare at Aintree. I will endeavour to keep my cash in my pocket for the most part this year. As for the season in general it's a case of levels you devels except for the King George, which couldn't have gone any better.

As with most, it will all depend on how Cheltenham goes. Captain Chris winning tomorrow would help, and Zarkandar in the Betfair Hurdle will give me a nice little fund to go to war with.

Aintree has always been anightmare except when Istabraq won there (That was avery good day) but there's a longer break bewteen the 2 festivals this year so results may run more to form this time.

Looking forward to watching BBbob making a bid to see if the Neptune is a possibility today and Nicky still has one more card to play in Trozulon who's expected to run at leicester midweek after being found to be lame before his intended race at Market Rasen last week.

Interetsing race between Grumetti and Baby Mix and agood opportunityto back one of the AP beofre the price falls through the floor for the Triumph if one of them wins really well he should be just about fav. I much prefer the latter as I don't trust the Hinterland form oine bit.

I'm not sure about Grumeti is Cheltenham going to suit and it's an after thought it seems after his fall. Surely Hollow Tree is being forgotten already a Grade 1 winner and may even improve for better ground.

Local track is Aintree and can only remember a couple of losing years there out of about 25. Always do better at main meeting than cheltenham.

Another massive form boost for Fingal Bay there through Barbatos. Can't believe there is still 5/1 about him for the Neptune.

Well I can now say with confidence I am have joined the losing brigade. despite Grumeti winning on a disqualification. Lost all the winnings on Menorah :o( Grumeti I thought was given a bit of a thoughtless ride he should have been as far away from Baby Mix as possible the minute he started pulling and throwing his head about. Instead of being totally relaxed he was always going a half stride to fast I thought. Winner/loser won't beat him again IMO.
DILDAR has got to be the Triumph bet now. The heresay around Ditchat is he'd pick the winner of this up and carry him he's so good. Soon as he runs he'll be the new favourite if he wins so he's got to be worth an interest. Minsk won't run this season I just heard 5 mins ago if anyone knows different pray tell. A late call from Paul Nichols could be on the cards again like he did with ZarkandarI've already dabble but if anyone hears anything .

On the Neptune from BBB either hated the place or he hated Andrew Tinkler. Didn't look happy at any stage so I doubt we'll see him at The Festval.

Where NH runs Simonsig now is anyone's guess and it may not matter anyway.

I know Nicky said he would reverse places with the Hobbs horse but I was told only an hour ago that the Hobbs horse has done so well since he last ran Simonsig will need to have grown wings to beat him. Divided opinions do make it fun........I'm a big fan of Nicky's but I doubt if he's confident about winning either race this year.

The horse who could gallop them all silly if he did happen to fill out before Cheltenham is Captain Conan who is by far the best prospect among the younger bigade but that is highly unlikely.

Did anything else think Hinterland's ride was really odd? Pretty much on the bridle till he jumped the last and then stayed on to take third. He ran an almost identical time to Pearl Swan did when winning the first too, and as I said he was hardly rousted along.

Last edited:
Where NH runs Simonsig now is anyone's guess and it may not matter anyway.

I know Nicky said he would reverse places with the Hobbs horse but I was told only an hour ago that the Hobbs horse has done so well since he last ran Simonsig will need to have grown wings to beat him.

Batonnier's win today yet another boost to the FB/Simonsig form. Nicky must surely realise the Supreme is there for the taking. I've backed him for both but would much rather he went for the easier looking contest.

I've backed him for the Neptune because Nicky was fairly adamant that he would run in that one, and that he would beat Fingal Bay. I'll be backing him wherever he goes though.

Batonnier's win today yet another boost to the FB/Simonsig form. Nicky must surely realise the Supreme is there for the taking. I've backed him for both but would much rather he went for the easier looking contest.

Catch up you're nicking my gags...

The Supreme always looks easy until you open the Racing Post or your fav website and see what is actually going to run. Then allof a sudden it looks a lot different.

Last year it was Cue Cards for the taking the year before Dunguib couldn't be beaten he was the new Arkle in the minds of most.

So if you think it's there for the taking mate think again there will be at least 3 or 4 more horses improve or spring up out of the blue before March plus the Irish will no doubt have a say.

Nicky sent a lot better than Simonsig to post last year and still never managed to win it.

Last edited:
Boston Bob wins again. Impressive giving that much weight in them conditions

Bet Wylie isn't too upset about sending some of his horses to Ireland now

Last edited:
Bet he isn't. He'd probably have been at Sedgefield today if Johnson was still training ( and it was on) but instead he's just won his second big race of the week in Ireland.

The Supreme always looks easy until you open the Racing Post or your fav website and see what is actually going to run. Then allof a sudden it looks a lot different.

Last year it was Cue Cards for the taking the year before Dunguib couldn't be beaten he was the new Arkle in the minds of most.

So if you think it's there for the taking mate think again there will be at least 3 or 4 more horses improve or spring up out of the blue before March plus the Irish will no doubt have a say.

Nicky sent a lot better than Simonsig to post last year and still never managed to win it.

Firm wise Simonsig looks at least the equal of Spirit Son at this stage of their careers. And it's highly unlikely this renewal will be as strong.

Didn't think much of Dildars debut,very novicey and stuttered at the hurdles.Decent turn of speed at the end though but you would have expected that but I would say a Triumph winner would have been putting that to bed with a lot more ease.another one off the list IMO.

Back