Novice Hurdlers 2011-2012

Darlan won at Cheltenham by a nose - "led on nod" - from a horse rated 122 who is a maiden after 6 hurdles starts and has since been pulled up in the Tolworth.

In contrast Simonsig absolutely destroyed Brass Tax (126 but also a maiden) literally still pulling at the line - "very easily" - before travelling all over Fingal Bay until that one's stamina came into play on testing ground over 2m4f.

Jump City, who Darlan beat at Taunton, had previously finished over 27 lengths behind Simonsig in the Sandown race, admittedly over further.

I know which one I would rather be on for the Supreme.

I'm sorry - can we refer to these horses correctly - DArry and Simey.....

What is this - the Cryptic Tipping Crossword? Can we have the number of letters, and whether it's across or down, please. ;)

Last edited:
Nothing that cryptic, check card for Thurles next Thursday and look at the novice hurdle. Boston Bob out again.

I was bizarrely taken by Midnight Game at Naas today. I know he was well beaten in November by the other Mullins horse, but he should benefit for quicker round and I like how he sat in today and quickened up nicely. Mullins suggested afterwards he has plenty of gears, and he strikes me as one that could be value at a big price over a strongly run Supreme. 20/1 at the moment is probably fair enough on bare form, but one to watch.

20/1 at the moment is probably fair enough on bare form, but one to watch.

He is 33/1 with Coral. I feel obliged to point out that the formbook says that Galileo's Choice who ran over Midnight Game by 20 3/4 lengths in the Royal Bond, who will also improve for good ground and is completely unexposed over hurdles is a far superior bet at 16/1.

Yes, he's also an eyecatcher. I'm just prepared to totally forgive Midnight Game the Royal Bond and put it down to experience. Was just quite taken by him yesterday - perhaps misguided.

Yes, he's also an eyecatcher. I'm just prepared to totally forgive Midnight Game the Royal Bond and put it down to experience. Was just quite taken by him yesterday - perhaps misguided.

After doing my nuts on him when he was an alarming drifter on debut I'd struggle to fancy him for a Grade 1 race. I'm sure he'll win a nice race though.

Will be interesting to see how Minsk gets on in the Juvenile Hurdle hopefully those big handicaps didn't take a lot out of him. For me it still has to be Galileo's Choice

For all you Simonsig fans hoping he runs in the supreme it's worth watching the stable update vid on the RP. In summation, he basically says the horse has bags of speed and he wouldn't be afraid to drop him back to 2 miles. Reading between the lines I'd say he's leaning towards the supreme.

Poor race at the moment but last years Triumph didn't look great beforehand and look how that's turned out.

At this stage I've backed Simonsig and I like both Colour Squadron and Vulcanite at bigger prices and will be Backing them to smaller stakes.

Can't get a handle on the staying races.

I'm looking forward to Mount Belbulben in the Spa. I think getting a lead with a stronger pace will really suit him. He has bags of scope.

For all you Simonsig fans hoping he runs in the supreme it's worth watching the stable update vid on the RP. In summation, he basically says the horse has bags of speed and he wouldn't be afraid to drop him back to 2 miles. Reading between the lines I'd say he's leaning towards the supreme.

He did but I was at Seven Barrows a week ago tomorrow and had this discussion with Henderson. I was adamant that he would win the Supreme and he agreed, saying that he had plenty of pace. However, whilst he told me that he wouldn't be afraid to drop him back to 2m he also said that there was no need because he would win the Neptune as well.

He said Simonsig was almost certain to run in the Neptune, although the Supreme was still under very slight consideration. He is "very good" (Binocular and Oscar Whisky are only worthy of "good" apparently), and "will definitely beat that Hobbs horse" (Fingal Bay). I got the impression that he would win whichever race they chose for him, probably the Neptune.

Nicky won't commit himelf to anything or anyone until he sees how BBbob fairs round the course on Saturday and possibly still won't decide until Darlan runs in the Betfair.

Waste of time second guessing him as the horses will tell him where they are running.

I don't doubt you for aminute but I'm very surprised he speaks so highly of Simonsig as I was told he's not that confident of winning either race this year. He's getting very moody in his old age you must have caught him on a good day. :lol:

This time last season, I was staggeringly disappointed by the novice chasers. I revised my opinion in the summer, only to find that my first impresison was probably right.

I feel exactly the same about this year's crop of novice hurdlers. Regardless of trip, ground conditions, whatever; I find a great majority of them singularly uninspiring.

Much as I have faith in Fingal Bay, this is more to do with my admiring his resolute nature, rather than me considering him well clear on class grounds. I'm personally not looking to take too short a price about any novice hurdler at Cheltenham, and I am determined not to fall for any apparently high-class Spring Festival performances which defy levels of form previously attained. This mob need to be treated with caution; this season and probably next too, imo.

Last edited:
I'm well down this season and my faith in the second season chasers is the main cause. Last chance saloon at the weekend.

I've been very lucky and backed the winner of almost all of the big races icluding the Betfair, King George, International, Feltham, Victor Chandler, Tolworth and of course my old pal Sprinter Sacre in the Wayward lad which sounds great but more than 60% of my winnings have gone on Sprinter Sacre for the Arkle.

I've lost a few quid of late midweek on 2 horses in particular but have placed some good bets, I hope, on the likes of Captain Chris 6/1 for Saturday and Soldatino for the Betfair at every price going 22 21 20 20 20 16 for the Betfair Hurdle and the rest on various bets on the Festival like Cinders and Ashes Riverside Theatre, Grandouet and Oscar without Big Bucks the usual Quevega Bi Bucks double all of whom I have backed several times and a few others that cant win Like Bog Warrior RSA Spririt Son (saver) CH both Monkerty Tunkerty and My Flora for the Foxhunters as they wont turn up.. I have frozen a certain amount for one more I want to back that hails from Jackdaw but as of yet he's not in anyone's betting and it wouldn't be the done thing to go asking about and let the cat out of the bag.

What's left is going on BBbob Saturday no matter the price who I've had a little bit on at big odds for the Neptune so if he loses and none of my AP bets win I'll be left with about one and wumpence profit which will probably be a big fat minus a few hundred quid by the end of racing on Saturday if my two main bets lose. I think I'd be doing much better if I wasn't for the mad cows decease and I kept some of my profit :lol: Seems like Barry has had a change of heart and is going to Donnie instead of Cheltenham to ride Master of the Hall which makes me wonder if SS is going to run..Nicky will be running around the meadow looking for a daisy to pull the petals of it to play will he wont he then he'll make up his mind :whistle:

Last edited:
Back