Novice Hurdlers 2011-2012

Batonnier's win today yet another boost to the FB/Simonsig form. Nicky must surely realise the Supreme is there for the taking. I've backed him for both but would much rather he went for the easier looking contest.

Haven't contributed anything to this thread so far as I haven't seen much I've liked. But I was quite taken with Batonnier and would certainly be looking at place betting on him in whatever they send him for.

Allure of allusion runs in the first today at punchestown.should have won last time out but badly badly hampered and finished like a train for second.Backed it for the supreme already,it's 25's now for march.when it wins today like a 2/9 shot should it wont be 25's IMO.Back it now for a free bet at least.

Firm wise Simonsig looks at least the equal of Spirit Son at this stage of their careers. And it's highly unlikely this renewal will be as strong.

He wouldn't have blown wind up Spirit Son's or Sprinters Sacre's backsides IMVHO

You may think it's not much of a renewal but you can bet it's enough to scare NH away towards the Neptune if he has his way.

They sent out Keys thinking he was a good thing when he took on Cinders and Ashes and the McCain horse absolutely hammered him and he's not even fav for the race.

One of the lads on here went to Nicky's open day and Nicky told him to his face he thought he could beat Fingal Bay and I was told he said the self same thing again only 2 days ago.

The owner may want to go to the Supreme but I doubt if NH dos he'll want to win a race not run a horse who is basically a stayer where he knows he'll find much faster opponents than Fingal Bay.

If I am wrong you can shoot me;)

Hmmmm bridal horse.went through very hurdle too.33/1 doesn't look that great now

Some Irish pundit from Timeform who was at the meeting said he was the lay of the day. Turned out he was lucky but when these guys say a 1/4 shot or whatever he was. is a lay in arace like that you can bet they're not Cheltenham material.

One of the lads on here went to Nicky's open day and Nicky told him to his face he thought he could beat Fingal Bay and I was told he said the self same thing again only 2 days ago.

I think you're talking about me here. It wasn't an open day, but a private interview for an article I was writing.

All I can say is that he, and everyone else, was very bullish about Simonsig. Not stupidly over-confident but the whole yard just stank of confidence in him.

Nicky said he'd beat Fingal Bay because they found a reason why he stopped at Sandown. He said he would stay 2m5f but definitely had more than enough pace for the Supreme.

When I was there (about 2 weeks ago) he was favouring the Neptune but there seems to be a strong vibe building towards the Supreme amongst certain areas of the media.

I've been told (not by the stable) that his next target is the Dovecote at Kempton over 2m. That would suggest that the Supreme is under strong consideration if nothing else.

Take from it what you will but all I can do is pass on what I was told. I was very keen on him before my visit but was even keener afterwards. I think he has an outstanding chance in the Supreme and an excellent one in the Neptune. I will trust that Nicky picks the right race for him.

I should say that the fact that it wasn't a free for all Open Day type event gives me more confidence in what he said. I don't think he would have said some of the things he told me if the 'media' was around. ;)

a lot of faith in trainers comments being displayed..is it the best way i wonder

The forum is turning into a Nicky Henderson propaganda fest! Is he the only trainer whose novices last year had the scope or were only shells of horses? He has a lot of fancied and underpriced ones (IMHO) this year like most other years. Not one to follow blindly. Nicholls runs him a close second on the propaganda front. It's all getting a bit tiresome.

Leopardstown Sunday

(2:10) 28C Deloitte Novice H'dle (Grade 1) €52,000.00
( 2m 2f - 5yo+ )[MAX 30]
NHFrm
0u1-p 1 Benefficient (AJMartin) - . ................. 11,10
211-3 2 Dedigout(132) (AJMartin) - . ............... 11,10
4115- 3 Il Fenomeno (ITY)(132) (NMeade) - . . 11,10
f11- 4 Lord Windermere (JHCulloty) - . ....... 11,10
2113- 5 Sous Les Cieux (FR)(145)
(WPMullins) - . ............. 11,10
6 Captain Conan (FR) (NHenderson
(in GB)) - . ................... 11,09
3111- 7 Cash And Go(144) (EJO'Grady) - . .... 11,09
241-1 8 Midnight Game (GB) (WPMullins) - . 11,09
1 9 Terminal (FR) (WPMullins) - . ............ 11,09
133-1 10 Burn And Turn (MrsJHarrington) - . .. 11,03

Oh it was only a little smile - buggered my plans for the weekend completely - infhe doesn't place I won't be impressed!! I'm just hoping hey change minds about Cheltenham, IMO it's too soon for him this year and he's too nice a horse to bugger up for the sake of having a runner there.
Still, it's none of my business and not my decision to make!!

Last edited:
I think you're talking about me here. It wasn't an open day, but a private interview for an article I was writing.

All I can say is that he, and everyone else, was very bullish about Simonsig. Not stupidly over-confident but the whole yard just stank of confidence in him.

Nicky said he'd beat Fingal Bay because they found a reason why he stopped at Sandown. He said he would stay 2m5f but definitely had more than enough pace for the Supreme.

When I was there (about 2 weeks ago) he was favouring the Neptune but there seems to be a strong vibe building towards the Supreme amongst certain areas of the media.

I've been told (not by the stable) that his next target is the Dovecote at Kempton over 2m. That would suggest that the Supreme is under strong consideration if nothing else.

Take from it what you will but all I can do is pass on what I was told. I was very keen on him before my visit but was even keener afterwards. I think he has an outstanding chance in the Supreme and an excellent one in the Neptune. I will trust that Nicky picks the right race for him.

It looks pretty obvious he's testing the water with Captain Conan running him over 2m2f today with a veiw to perhaps running him in the Neptune and as you say Simonsig could then possibly go for the Supreme.

The whole thing could go backside for elbow; If this turns into a tactical affair ending in a bit of a sprint today today and Captain Conan does them for toe. Then if Simonsig ran below what is expected at 2 miles the cap would come off and he be scratching his head wondering what to do next.

I've heard nothing about him going for the Dovecoat. Nicky does love to run hurdlers at Kempton he's always said it's great place to sharpen them up befor the Festival but Simonsig?

That amazes me ,Simonsig has never run over 2 miles in his life plus he won 2p2's over 3 miles. if ever a course was made to catch out a horse if he lacks speed it's Kempton.

No sense in running him against nothing, as his class would see him through and he'd be none the wiser.

I would have though the race at Newbury in Friday would tell him more with the likes of Colour Squadron and Montbazon entered but he has so many entered in that maybe he'd be standing on another owners toes if he sent him there, who knows?

I've heard nothing about him going for the Dovecoat. Nicky does love to run hurdlers at Kempton he's always said it's great place to sharpen them up befor the Festival but Simonsig?

That amazes me, Simonsig has never run over 2 miles in his life plus he won 2p2's over 3 miles. if ever a course was made to catch out a horse if he lacks speed it's Kempton.

I heard the Dovecote idea from Paul Jones, Wetherby's Festival Guide Author. He's got loads of entries (Morebattle and Newbury at the moment, plus Ascot suggested).

Also he won't be done for toe, he has plenty.

The P2P is the interesting thing. Does that fact that a horse as good as Simonsig can win over 3m suggest he necessarily wants 3m? I don't think so. He would have been so superior to the opposition that he would have won regardless of trip.

I'd like to see him in the Supreme because I think it'll suit him perfectly.

Simonsig runs in the Morebattle Hurdle at Kelso tomorrow over 2m2f.

Ladbrokes are the first to price up the race and have him very short indeed.

4/9 Simonsig
5/1 Knockara Beau
11/2 Marsh Warbler
16/1 Local Hero
25/1 Orsippus
50/1 Little Hercules

I was hoping for more like Evens but clearly that was wishful thinking.

Simonsig runs in the Morebattle Hurdle at Kelso tomorrow over 2m2f.

Ladbrokes are the first to price up the race and have him very short indeed.

4/9 Simonsig
5/1 Knockara Beau
11/2 Marsh Warbler
16/1 Local Hero
25/1 Orsippus
50/1 Little Hercules

I was hoping for more like Evens but clearly that was wishful thinking.

:eek: I like Simonsig and am on him for the Supreme but those odds are mental. I think he should win but no way is he a 4/9 shot.

Okay Knockara Beau perhaps wants further but both him and Marsh Warbler are decent animals and at over ten times the odds anybody backing Simonsig in this at 4/9 wants their head looking at IMO:D

I'm his biggest fan but I wouldn't disagree. And he's even shorter at 2/5 with most!

There's 6/1 about Marsh Warbler which looks fair in case the favourite bombs out. Knockara Beau surely needs further, Local Hero strikes me as a bit lightweight, neither Orsippus or Little Hercules look nearly good enough. No doubt Marsh Warbler would prefer it softer but it won't be quick ground and I think he would still be next best.

I had hoped to have a decent bet but couldn't be backing him at those prices.

Now that they seem adamant that Fingal Bay will run in the Neptune the 5/1 that Ladbrokes is still offering seems worth taking a position in.

I like Fingal Bay, he's one of my bets in the ante post competition, but Boston Bob has a turn of foot, will improve for better ground, is battle hardened and imo is the more likely winner.

Tom Segal said in today's Racing Post that Simonsig "For months now has been the clever lads horse". I've never been so insulted in all my life.

Back