Novice Hurdlers 2011-2012

In fairness to Martin he has said to me since the summer that 2m was his trip this season. The race today backs that up completely. He travels too well for the slow boat races. Can people stop using the "He won a PTP" as a reason for a horse needing a trip. Simonsig would probably have beaten any PTP opposition over any distance.

I'm very happy with a free €1,000 green for the Supreme Novice.

In fairness to Fingals Bay, a Grade2 over 2m4f at Sandown is not a "slow boat race".

Good luck with your Supreme bet. Martin knows the Point scene a lot better than I do, and could very well be right. :cool:

Not saying he won't stay 3m but IMO he'll be a better horse over shorter - shows so much speed and travelled so well, FB on the other hand will be better over further but showed how good he was today.

I'm referring to the Albert Bartlett when I said slow boats race. I'd should have been clearer. Fingal Bay proved he is the novice to beat in the UK today in my opinion.

I confess I'd be somewhat disappointed if FB ended-up in the Spa Hurdle. Neptune is surely his race?

I confess I'd be somewhat disappointed if FB ended-up in the Spa Hurdle. Neptune is surely his race?

I agree completely. The cynic in me still thinks Bobs Worth went for the Albert Bartlett last season for betting purposes.

Last edited:
A good pal of mine - the man responsible for introducing me to that seductive and foul temptress we call 'horse-racing' no less - and a man who's opinion I respect, text me this morning to tell me that he'd laid Fingals Bay for a bump.

I naturally questioned the temerity of this decision in the most ludic and analytical terms, before being told I was a "fanny", and committed to the ethereal strasse in the most forthright of terms.

Truth be told, I was far too giddy about the prospect of an early bath and some end-of-week-invoice-tomorrow beers to notice that the race had already been run, until I got a matter of fact text from our hero regarding the outcome.

He had the benefit of seeing the event in question, and although his selection Simonsig was beaten, he was most insistent that the 3m-point winner was hacking all over FB 2 out. Subsequent posts on these here pages would suggest that was indeed the case, and that stamina was perhaps an influecing factor in the result.

I have still not seen the race, and I'm perfectly happy to take these advices as accurate. For me, they only enhance Fingals Bay's credentials, because if one thing was certain about Simonsig going into today's race, it was that he was no slouch and represented a genuinely stern test for Fingals Bay.

In my minds eye, the words "found plenty" feature highly in the race comments about Fingals Bay (with "soul-destroyer" not far behind), and I think we are looking at the real deal here.

Last edited:
Racing Post analysis suggests Fingal Bay should go for the slow boats race if the festival is run in good ground. The novice hurdles are notoriously difficult to work out due to running plans but as I expected Hendersonhas ruled out the Albert Bartlett for Simonsig. I think I can now start really backing him for the Supreme with confidence.

Racing Post analysis suggests Fingal Bay should go for the slow boats race if the festival is run in good ground.

Good. I am quite happy to sit 180-degrees opposed to these fucking turnips. :cool:

Will follow you in on the Supreme - he's probably still under the radar a bit. If I'm going to look like an arse, I may as well get paid for it.

I just get the feeling the race today will be the key piece of form for all the "20:20 racing experts" in the review of the festival in March.

Slightly concerned that NH doesn't seem to realise the horse is a 2 miler yet and he's planning on giving him a break and then a prep after today I think which would give him one race to work it out - not certain he'll be able to do that.

Hopefully Minella Forfitness coming out next week will ensure he has his 2m 5f horse lined up and then Simonsig can bolt up in the Supreme Novices.

I've rewatched the race and I love Fingal Bay's attitude. I definitely think Hobbs has a very good horse on his hands here.

As for Simonsig, I agree about a drop in trip. He travels beautifully.

Hate to say it but, but Fingal is surely not one that needs to be upped in trip. They also went off plenty slow enough today too and as much as the runner up looked the part but didnt fly away, surely that indicates that he was the one who needs more?

I would like to see Simonsig in good 2 mile race before piling in, not a race were the first mile was a canter, can he swing off the bridle in a true run race like the Supreme and then kick on up the hill?

I would like to see Simonsig in good 2 mile race before piling in, not a race were the first mile was a canter, can he swing off the bridle in a true run race like the Supreme and then kick on up the hill?

That's fair enough. I'd be willing to bet he could and I certainly think it's worth a try. I think he's bumped into a good one today and they pulled clear of the rest.

Not trying to knock him, Fingal Bay I like alot, personally I would rather take a shorter price after a good 2 mile effort, there is a strong chance there will be a few good ones in the Supreme.

He's only had two runs. He'll have learned how to race today. Given a strongly run 2 miles on good ground he will be one of the last off the bridle.

He's only had two runs. He'll have learned how to race today. Given a strongly run 2 miles on good ground he will be one of the last off the bridle.

So far I have had a couple of bets in the Supreme, where as you have a very nice price Slim about Simonsig and I wish you luck, I like him but even his bumper win was a crawl, I hate niggling doubts and I would prefer to see Simonsig in a competitive trial over 2 miles and take the price afterwards - plenty of good ones yet to run, to many to slam into 14/1, now if he was the price you got then different story.

I have a green between the two accounts of €1,000 for no risk. Normally I'd have held it but happy with the net result. After reading the trainer comments I can now back the horse with real confidence from a good position. I fancy backing him to win around €5k if possible. I always like to have one ante post plunge, last year it was Sunnyhillboy at all prices from 20/1 to 12/1. He fell before the race started in earnest after going off fav.

Both the front two ran excellent closing sectionals. That isn't the sort of thing I normally take note of but it does indicate that Simonsig is far from soft and that his price for the Supreme is probably inflated.

Really looking forward to see Italian Master make his debut over hurdles today - I get the feeling the stable feel this could be their next Denman in time.

Back