Novice Hurdlers 2014/15

Well that was hugely disappointing from No More Heroes.

I wouldnt give up on him yet although I would like to see Shaneshill win nicely to give the form a more solid look
I still think 3m round Cheltenham will be right up his street so far as his price goes today wasn't the worse result in the world.

I wouldnt give up on him yet although I would like to see Shaneshill win nicely to give the form a more solid look
I still think 3m round Cheltenham will be right up his street so far as his price goes today wasn't the worse result in the world.

Will he act on faster ground?

Black Hercules heads the potoato race market now - which just seems a default Mullins setting to me. Value At Risk was totally unsuited to the trip/gallop combo on Saturday and I liked the way he kept at it once headed. 14s is very fair given how much more the AB trip will suit coupled with his trainer confirming the race for him.

Any Blaklion fans out there?

If so .....have you written him off after Saturday? I think there's worse 14/1 anti post chances at the festival, no? At least he's proven something up to now.

Last edited:
Aye, a bit like we all fancied a horse for the Arc years ago because he was a Rothschild owned colt. :)

Hadawayandshite. What part of his form makes him a handicapper?

Lines through Parlour Games would tell you Blaklion is not far off a 160 horse. They're totally misleading and bogus, of course, but that's what they'd tell you.

Think you dismiss him too lightly though, Euro. His form is handy-enough in the context of the Albert Bartlett, he will run his race, and backers will likely get a fair-enough dash for their dough.

He's rated 145, Very Wood was 137 heading into the race last year. What does he have left in the locker for the main event is the question.

His handy style of running and the fact he's been beaten by tactics..... or not being at the right place at the right time suggests to me that he might be better in a properly run Grade 1 race.

Last edited:
Caracci Apache hopefully !
Indeed hoping for an Apache double with Apache Stronghold in JLT.
Then again I would !
Tell us more, Edgt? Have you backed them? :)
I'm hoping you may do a QM Champion Chase preview, at least to try and match the one you did When Sizing met Sprinter which I requested, that was fantastic, the facts you recalled in that article were before my lifetime, but thoroughly enjoyable.
Sizing Europe was one of the few Grade 1 horses that I've called right over the years, what a star. I wish they'd retire him.

I've been reading the various arguments for and against Sprinter, I've no firm opnion, no idea who to back yet, help! :)

Last edited:
Anyone on facebook check out John Starkey.
He has big race results for all the major flat and NH races on one page.
He has extended to writing essays on "the greats".
Great fun and a wonderful way to while away the hours over the next six weeks.
Re Apache double ,Caracci was bred by John O Brien, a client of mine while stronghold impressed me greatly at Christmas behind Don Poli.
Paul rode him on top of the inside rail for better ground and it nearly paid off.
While Noel Meade has a horrible Festival Chase record this fellow or Road To Riches could make it his year.
2 mile chasers are most certainly God's Favourite creatures blessed with speed, bravery and absolutely no memory of bad falls or any kind of sin as they come up time after time for one more leap so it will be my great pleasure to talk a good race if nothing else !

Any Blaklion fans out there?

If so .....have you written him off after Saturday? I think there's worse 14/1 anti post chances at the festival, no? At least he's proven something up to now.

I'm a huge fan because he did exactly what I said he would when Carracci Apache outfought him .......If you are asking if he will win at the Festival.......afraid not.. he's just a tad below that class

Could very well be Benny. I wouldn't imagine they had him over cooked on Saturday with Cheltenham only 6 weeks away. Most would leave something to work on and if they did he's run a stormer

Had these stats thrown at us before Archie......truth is stats can't alter what has to come

Triumph Hurdle winner don't win Champion Hurdles was a cracker

Katchit knocked that for 6 and it could take another boot up the jacksy next season

Gone in again on No More Heroes at 14/1, his Navan form is the best staying novice hurdling form around imo and I think it's safe to draw a line through his run at the weekend, which was actually a good effort in the circumstances.

Back