Novice Hurdlers 2014/15

I backed Box Office of Jonjo's today as a precaution just in case because he's been a bit of a talking horse and was a very expensive buy.

He drifted badly in the betting but I manged to save some of my stake in running so no real harm done.

But the race told a story, he travelled like very good horse and even looked like he was sure to be involved in the finish but then blew up.

Typical bit of badly needing the run give him some on course training by Jonjo.

He's unlikely to go up for that which will leave him on a good mark for the Fred Winter if they think he's good enough.

If he is entered he could be worth taking a chance on. Bet365 have him up at 16/1

I just found a video of his last win in France and he's certainly got a lot more talent than was on show today

Box Office wasn't entirely disgraced behind the very-well-regarded Bristol De Mai in his first hurdles outings in France, and won his other two starts over there. On that basis, a mark of 135 (if it stays that way) wouldn't be punitive, though connections might be forced to consider the Triumph, as he'd be near-as-dammit top-weight in the Fred Winter.

I agree that he's probably one for keeping an eye on at Cheltenham, as a strongly-run race on a stiff track should suit a lot more than a bare 2m round Wincanton.

Happy to see El Namoose receiving the expected Supreme entry. 40/1 is way too big.

He was far too keen in last years bumper and Ferguson thinks the world of him. In the recent RUK interview they were discussing Parlour Games, who himself is highly thought of and currently favorite for the Neptune, but then they moved onto El Namoose and the trainer couldn't hide his excitement.

It's surely only a matter of time before one of his hurdlers delivers at the festival.

Doubt if Cheltenham is for him this year but I would be surprised if Otago Trail isn't a better chaser than most mentioned on here. Welsh National 2017 winner at worst. He'll probably go for the Lexus though so hold off on those ante post bets.

Happy to see El Namoose receiving the expected Supreme entry. 40/1 is way too big.

He was far too keen in last years bumper and Ferguson thinks the world of him. In the recent RUK interview they were discussing Parlour Games, who himself is highly thought of and currently favorite for the Neptune, but then they moved onto El Namoose and the trainer couldn't hide his excitement.

It's surely only a matter of time before one of his hurdlers delivers at the festival.

This one is entered in the trial at Musselburgh on Sunday with McCoy on board. The sponsors have him at 6/4 fav for the 4 runner race and I'd have him odds on but I'm already on him @ 40s for Cheltenham so happy just to sit back and watch.

Doubt if Cheltenham is for him this year but I would be surprised if Otago Trail isn't a better chaser than most mentioned on here. Welsh National 2017 winner at worst. He'll probably go for the Lexus though so hold off on those ante post bets.
Loved what he's done this year and agree he'll be a decent chaser in time. BTW, Bandit Country who was whacked by him at Carlisle in November should go close at Chepstow this afternoon...

Last edited:
Nicholls very honest regarding his novice and juvenile hurdlers at the moment. No big guns for the novice events and the worst set of juveniles he's had for a while in his own words.

I think I better have my dosh on NJH for next year's championship then because he has more good ones than he has had in a long time according to BG

Yet another fancied horse for the Triumph bites the dust today.

NJH now has the 1st 3rd and 4th favs for this and the only horse splitting them is Willie Mullins's Kalkir who was a bit of disappointment last time out.

Hargam is decent and like Peace Co beat Alan King's Karezak last time out by 1 1/4 lengths compared to the 3 lengths Peace and Co beat him.

That doesn't even come close to telling how superior Peace and Co is to hargam who was all out to beat Karezak whereas Peace and Co just laughed it him and could have picked him up anytime Barry Geraghty wanted to.

NJH's other horse Tp Notch had at tall reputation prior to his first run for the stable and obliged with an easy win. He followed up again beating Golden Doyan who had beaten Hargan but he improved massively from what was his first run for NJH.

He's never been asked the questions that the other two have and he lacks mid race pace which could catch him out if NJH runs him. He has said he intends to enter him for the Fred Winter

Unless something drastic happens or the next Istabraq turns up from Ireland Peace and Co remains my banker for the Festival and I doubt if more than 9 or 10 will turn up to take him on.

Last edited:
I have a real soft spot for Jollyallan (see first post on this thread) and am not giving up on him after todays defeat. He travelled like the best horse, got outbattled by a far more experienced opponent and proved he can jump fine, but just not at every hurdle...Think he has to go Supreme now and there are far worse 20/1 pokes. Would much rather be on him ew than the fav

He wasn't happy in the ground..not many horse were..but he still fought well. Very hard race would be a worry but if he gets over it I'd back him in the Supreme at 20/1 which often turns out to be a race for the toughs of the track and they often outgrind the classier horses who are still a bit weak.....3 out of the last 4 would be an example of that and there doesn't appear to be a Vautor in this years race

I think Peace and Co is just begging to get chinned in the Triumph. I'm not convinced he'll get up the hill.

5 & a bit weeks (not long is it:)) should be plenty of time for jollyallan so am hopeful. No point backing him yet with NRNB & all the silly fez concessions to come, but will have more on EW

Agreed on Peace & Co Grass and 7/4 is criminal. Only problem is can't decide who's going to do the chinning... May know more after leopardstown next weekend

I have a real soft spot for Jollyallan (see first post on this thread) and am not giving up on him after todays defeat. He travelled like the best horse, got outbattled by a far more experienced opponent and proved he can jump fine, but just not at every hurdle...Think he has to go Supreme now and there are far worse 20/1 pokes. Would much rather be on him ew than the fav

was there and backed him yesterday. A really lovely looking horse and but certainly a chaser in the making.

was there and backed him yesterday. A really lovely looking horse and but certainly a chaser in the making.
Agreed Clive and said that when seeing him at Kempton on Boxing day. Still doesn't put me for the Supreme as plenty of embryo chasers have won that in recent years

Last edited:
Back