Novice Hurdlers 2014/15

The old slaney hurdle looks a cackling contest tomorrow. Nice that it's a G1 now

4/6 Tell us More
9/4 Free Expression

That's a bit of an excessive price differential isn't it? I know it isn't so much about the form in the book with the fav and he can only beat what's in front of him but still, the second and third from his win at Gowran have been slammed since. I did like the way Free Expression kept finding and finding the last day. Tempting.

4/6 Tell us More
9/4 Free Expression

That's a bit of an excessive price differential isn't it? I know it isn't so much about the form in the book with the fav and he can only beat what's in front of him but still, the second and third from his win at Gowran have been slammed since. I did like the way Free Expression kept finding and finding the last day. Tempting.

Big differential alright Euro. I am a bit taken by the fav but in reality he has beaten nowt

Me too although surprised they're sending him straight to the Festival.

Disappointing news. NJH saying he's run twice relatively quickly but he was hardly extended on either occasion. I'd like to see him run again before what's certain to be a much sterner test at the Festival

Last edited:
Also would like to see him in a bigger field. He's too high in the weights for the betfair hurdle so another novice race is the only option and he'd scare them all away. Guess that is what hendo is thinking.

Winner looked to be going well from a long way out and Townend timed it perfectly.

He may be number 2 in the yard but he's better than most hold 1st jockey badges.

Should add Ruby rode a shocking race in the first what on earth he was playing at beats me.

It was pretty obvious the ones in front weren't stopping 2 out but he sat there like a sack of potatoes and never made any effort until approaching the last when Nijinsky couldn't have caught the winner.

Def one for the note book as he is as good as a winner without a penalty.

Just watched NJH C Apache hack up he looks like a horse going places...might even be a Cheltenham horse???

Winner looked to be going well from a long way out and Townend timed it perfectly.

He may be number 2 in the yard but he's better than most hold 1st jockey badges.

Should add Ruby rode a shocking race in the first what on earth he was playing at beats me.

It was pretty obvious the ones in front weren't stopping 2 out but he sat there like a sack of potatoes and never made any effort until approaching the last when Nijinsky couldn't have caught the winner.

Def one for the note book as he is as good as a winner without a penalty.

Just watched NJH C Apache hack up he looks like a horse going places...might even be a Cheltenham horse???

Was a very taking performance, especially giving 7lbs to rivals. Didn't even look to really break sweat and did it very easily.

Yo Gaz me old mucker where you been?;)

Mange to clout a couple pretty hard but Nicky didn't send him to Plumpton just to pick up the prize.

It's not a bad course to get horses used to undulations like those at Cheltenham.

Hard to say how he'll act on faster ground but a further step up in trip looks certain

Be a big ask to expect him to go for the Neptune but the Albert Bartlett over 3 miles is where I reckon he will go.

Not on any lists yet for that race but I reckon that's where he'll end up .

Interesting Tanlic.
A client of mine bought his dam carrying him.
Dam a half sister to Caracciola so NJH had a soft spot for him though a year ago he thought CA would hardly be good enough to make a racehorse.

Funny, I was trying to remember Caracciola' name today when I was watching the rerun.........doesn't half look like him the way he carries himself during a race.

Probably the name Caracci and my subconscious were working overtime :)

I think they were still wondering if they had a racehorse when he won at 14/1

I see the dam won her 2 races for nicky on soft so that is still a concern but the sire has produced more top of the ground horses so you'd have to be hopefull good ground is something he could handle.

Hope they do decide to send him for the AB it would be right up his street.............Nicky Henderson reckons he has the best bunch of novices he's had in a long time so it's very much await and see.

Douvan and Nichols Canyon both entered for the Moscow Flyer G2 Novice Hurdle at Punch on Sat.
Milsean entered in the 2m 4f novice hurdle on same card. I'll be interested to see his progression.
Only defeat so far was to No More Heroes, who has since accounted for Shaneshill... Not sure Milsean will face much here though.

He was undoubtedly impressive but it was a weak race. Bookies are quite rightly sh!t scared of Mullins novice hurdlers though so you can understand them ducking it.

Bookies were impressed, seems to have halved in price with most and now clear Fav for the Supreme.
think they just expect big money to come for it regardless and kept themselves as well covered as they could. impressive win + the fact that the same owner/trainer/jockey combo will mean plenty will be keen to back it.

looks like they won't even run it again until the festival so definitely not worth taking the price now. can't see him being much if any shorter on the day. prob even be bigger.

Jonjo O'Neill has entered €185,000 purchase Montdragon, owned by JP, in a novive hurdle at Huntingdon next Friday

Back