Novice Hurdlers 2015/16

I see Ricci thinks Min is way too short and his price reflects his and stables record in the race. He said Douvan & Vautour had a lot more done by this stage of their careers.

Not the sounds we were hearing the past few years!! He always seemed supremely confident of Vautour & Douvan,excuse the pun.

Ricci, who was speaking exclusively to the Racing Post, said: "I think Vautour and Douvan had probably done more at the corresponding stage of their career and Min's much shorter than they were in the betting. I think it's the fact we've won it three years in a row.

"He has been impressive and it was good to see Gurteen come out and win his maiden the way he did, but he looks to be too short for me.

"I think Altior is very good and I think Yorkhill is very good. It's a good Supreme this year and much more open than the betting suggests."

I could have told you that last month Rich when he was 4/1 never mind 6/4!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What I found most interesting about the interview was his response when asked for a festival banker treble.

Douvan, Faugheen and Limini (rather than Annie or Min).

She won't be 5/2 for long following that, especially if she bolts up tomorrow.

Limini declared for Fairyhouse. Interesting that they've elected to run when Ruby isn't available and in a race that, if she wins, will get her a penalty for Cheltenham. Myska declared for Punchestown on Sunday.

I could have told you that last month Rich when he was 4/1 never mind 6/4!!

A few of us said that but, in fairness, that was before Min's impressive last run.

I still think Altior's form amounts to more than Min's but I greatly respect the latter.

Limini declared for Fairyhouse. Interesting that they've elected to run when Ruby isn't available and in a race that, if she wins, will get her a penalty for Cheltenham. Myska declared for Punchestown on Sunday.

It does seem strange doesn't it ?

Willie has history with running mares at the festival off a big break, either deliberate or enforced due to injury and seems to have no qualms doing the same with Annie again this year in the David Nicholson if he can't get a run into her beforehand, with a view towards a WH bid.

So to run Limini in a race where she will pick up a penalty leads me to think one of two things; either they're not really aiming for the novice mares race (she's also entered in the Supreme and Neptune, though of course Ricci has Min in the former and Willie has Belshill in the latter) or they think she's that far ahead of the rest that the penalty will make no difference.

I'd side with the latter following Ricci's earlier comments but to think if the same connections elected to run Let's Dance in this she'd be receiving roughly a stone from Limini taking the weight for age and penalty into account. Not bad for a horse that was sent off @ 4/7 to beat Ivanonich Gorbatov before finishing a respectable second in a race that has since worked out well.

Nice from Buveur D'air there if a little novicey at the last. Owner has just told RUK that Dovecote followed by Supreme is the plan.

I'd take this one's potential over Altior personally but Min is the obvious fly in the ointment, regardless of his price.

Shortening him from the 14/1 available early this week to the 7/1 a few bookies are now going is shameless though.

Also Supreme not a given, as Hendo keeps hinting about the Neptune (in the Racing Post ante post piece and again today in his SJ Blog). Couldn't touch him at current prices, but likely to have an interest closer to the day

Nice from Buveur D'air there if a little novicey at the last. Owner has just told RUK that Dovecote followed by Supreme is the plan.

I'd take this one's potential over Altior personally but Min is the obvious fly in the ointment, regardless of his price.

Shortening him from the 14/1 available early this week to the 7/1 a few bookies are now going is shameless though.

I just had a look and Stan James makes him 6/1 joint second favourite with Altior.

I can't say I blame them his win over Wait for Me was an excellent performance and today's race tells us he's on track for the Supreme.

Be amazed if anything beats Min though..RR saying the Supreme is more competitive this year is after timing nonsense Douvan went off at 2/1 Min will be nearer 1/2

Last edited:
Hendo this afternoon. Will probably end up in the Supreme, but you want to be certain at current prices

Henderson said: "I was quite keen to get two runs into him. That was a good little bit of experience as it taught him how to get in behind horses and switch off."What we're trying to really establish if he wants two, or two and a half miles. He has all the gears for two but Noel said he don't think he will have any problems staying further.
"It's where we go next. There is the Sidney Banks (Huntingdon) or there is the Listed race at Exeter or Kempton.

that race has a couple of interesting ones KA..remember See The World when it threw its bumper away turning in,,but then made the lost ground up and won?..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUx1CPFglDA

he could be anything..he was 2nd fav in that Charmix race in Nov.....E Lavelle said before that race.. 'he doesn't have much knee action and better ground will suit him"

..so it was no surprise he bombed really

i've got a not bad figure for Royal Milans run behind wade harper as well

looks a tough race to me KA..may give it a miss..good luck with BCB

the ground at Donny should be perfect for See The World..think it wins this KA..following our chat about this race last night

Last edited:
Nice one. I thought BCB was a cert today and backed it accordingly last nigh. When Buveur dotted in I backed it again at 9/4.

It's was one of those races where your hands are shaking & heart thumping fast because of what was invested but it certainly paid off.

Probably makes that Newbury hurdle race in November the best novice hurdle in Britain (ungraded of course) this year. The winners keep coming & are making Buveur D'air look very good.

Yep. That's my thinking. Great ew price anyway & delighted to see them win Huntington bumper this evening. If he'd lost I'd worry there was something amiss there.

Last edited:
Same here. He's more suited to the conditions tomorrow than either Yanworth or SV. Annoying Pauling left Barters Hill in for the beefy rule 4.

Back