Novice Hurdlers 2015/16

First and second could well double up at the Festival. Yanworth will be very hard to beat in the Neptune and the step up is sure to suit Shantou Village in the Albert Bartlett.

I wouldn't be disappointed in Shantou Village he looked outpaced and ran on extremely well - Yanworth just too good look how easily SV beat the rest .

I agree Ardross. Also both will also appreciate better ground. Without doubt they're major players for the two novice hurdles.

get those figures done DO..i've just finished doing Cheltenham's

Need to wait, I'm afraid. I'm off to Spain for a week this Tuesday and won't get the form book instalment until the following Wednesday.

I'll be back in time to enjoy the build-up to John Constable hacking up in the Schweppes at 33/1 :p

Last edited:
FWIW, I think John Constable is a very good bet at 33/1. I also think Agrapart is of some interest, though I do confess to some mild agitation, knowing that Lizzie Kelly will riding. It's probably grossly chauvanistic and unfair of me, but I'd still rather have a bloke on top.....despite her not doing a great deal wrong.

Enjoy your break, DO.

Last edited:
Harsh very. I'll probably end up backing Agrapart given my allegiance to the stable and have already taken 12s about Desoto County

I'm well established as a sensitive type, and you should really be more considerate of people's feelings.

:whistle:

Last edited:
Yanworth looks Champion Hurdle material but I haven't done any figures.

I wouldn't bother DO.

As I said a longtime ago he's the best horse Alan King has had since Katchit or maybe as he says the best he's ever had but he is not going the Champion Hurdle route.

I made the mistake of backing him months ago for the Supreme and there no chance he will go there now although I did have a good bet in the Neptune after Min appeared on the scene so no one is more pleased than me with yesterday's result.

You should perhaps read the after race report when they said he has been crying out for 2 1/2 miles Surely if he stays hurdling he will be stepped up again and go World Hurdle.

The alternative would be to go chasing next year and drop him back to 2 miles over fences.

Lets assume Min hacks up in the Supreme and looks like he could win a Champion Hurdle doing handstands the Faugheen hacks up in the Champion Hurdle itself, Yanworth wins the Neptune King would have to be stone mad to go the Champion Hurdle route with a horse he knows stays further.

The only possible chance of him going that route is if both Min and Faugheen fail miserably and not many judges can see that happening

Last edited:
Many now think Yanworth is a good thing for the Neptune but JP has got another horse who looks and even bigger certainty in the Triumph namely Ivanovich Gorbatov.

There's no real confidence in any of NJH's for the race as they are simply not in the same calss as last years trio.

Ivanovich Gorbatov kicked the best of WPM's into touch and really there's nothing else looks remotely good enough.

Surprised considering his connection he is not odds on but no doubt if he hacks up at leopardstown next week he will be.

Looks the value banker of the meeting considering you can have 3/1 at the moment

I wouldn't bother DO.

As I said a longtime ago he's the best horse Alan King has had since Katchit or maybe as he says the best he's ever had but he is not going the Champion Hurdle route.

I made the mistake of backing him months ago for the Supreme and there no chance he will go there now although I did have a good bet in the Neptune after Min appeared on the scene so no one is more pleased than me with yesterday's result.

You should perhaps read the after race report when they said he has been crying out for 2 1/2 miles Surely if he stays hurdling he will be stepped up again and go World Hurdle.

The alternative would be to go chasing next year and drop him back to 2 miles over fences.

Lets assume Min hacks up in the Supreme and looks like he could win a Champion Hurdle doing handstands the Faugheen hacks up in the Champion Hurdle itself, Yanworth wins the Neptune King would have to be stone mad to go the Champion Hurdle route with a horse he knows stays further.

The only possible chance of him going that route is if both Min and Faugheen fail miserably and not many judges can see that happening

It was an immediate post-race reaction from me. A generalisation, in much the same way as Dick hern once said Brigadier was fast enough to win a Nunthorpe. I've no doubt BG could have won a Nunthorpe but he'd never have run in one. It was probably the C4 analysis that led me to think that. They said Yanworth covered the distance from the last to the line 9 lengths faster than the juvenile (although I think Thistlecrack did something similar) and mentioned previous winners of the race who had run well in the CH, eg The New One.

I did some figures last night and he's coming out like a 155++ horse. If he's got 160 in him (I have The New One on 162) that would be good enough to win most Neptunes. He'd obviously need to improve a lot more to win a Champion Hurdle in the current era.

While they said he might need the trip, they were saying after the race he has plenty of speed. Weren't they saying something similar with Istabraq back in the day? I'm not sure the Champion Hurdle was uppermost in the mind when he won the Neptune.

Back