Novice Hurdlers 2015/16

anyone that thought Shaneshill would win in those conditions against such as vaniteux was really being a bit unrealistic though .it was Good ground yesterday at Donny near on....thats not an underperformance..its..wrong conditions..stick him over half a mile more with another 60 lengths give in ground..be a different game

Mullins has mopped up a lot of races here over the winter..but the ground was very different at donny compared to what he would have expected,,hoss must have thought..this is a motorway..f00k it i'm not arsed

Last edited:
His owner on RUK on Friday said he was crying out for better ground, same with UFR. Hence the reason for sending them over to Doncaster & he's acted very well on good ground before. Second to Douvan at the festival reads very well.

I do agree with you re trip tho. He needs further, Sizing Codelco got close enough to him here over 2m but yesterday was to see where he goes, Arkle or JLT. He certainly was backed yesterday too but faded tamely for a horse with decent 2m novice hurdle form.

We're getting off topic here anyway on a novice hurdlers thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks that Barters Hill was not at all impressive at Doncaster? I think Shantou Village is a kick for the Bartlett myself, and can't suss why he isn't the jolly.

Am I the only one who thinks that Barters Hill was not at all impressive at Doncaster? I think Shantou Village is a kick for the Bartlett myself, and can't suss why he isn't the jolly.

agreed,I wrote something similar on Twitter immediately after the race.Good attitude and run all day......like Robbie Savage.

I think the overwhelming impression on C4 yesterday was that BH was not at all impressive.

McCoy was really the only one defending him, saying that Bellshill cruised up to him at Aintree but BH wouldn't let him past.

He's never going to win hard held but nothing has passed him yet. Looks like one who has all the characteristics you need at Cheltenham and his bumper form just looks better the longer the season goes.

If ever a horse needed a session with Yogi Breisner it's Barters Hill. He made every type of conceivable mistake in that race and as the commentator said never did the same thing twice.

If they straighten him out before Cheltenham he'll be pretty much unbeatable but that's a big if. Even if they don't I agree with Bear he's got that tough Cheltenham look about him and if he does get beat it won't be through lack of trying.

I would add I doubt if he would be fully wound up for that race as Cheltenham is only 6 weeks away plus Ballydine who granted looks a bit of a rogue came there pulling a train and couldn't pass him.

Last edited:
I'm very impressed with him anyway. He hits his hurdles, no he kicks his hurdles out of the ground, but it doesn't seem to affect him in losing ground, he gets away with it. I'm sure he'll be schooled within an inch of his life come March!

Getting past him tho is the problem, he's one tough bas#*%d, no one has managed it yet & I dont think Shantou Village will be the one to do that either. If yesterdays Cheltenham race had been over further Yanworth would have accounted for him in the same manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on how you view the result Grassy.

Off levels he beat the 3rd by 7 lengths but giving him 4lbs he beat him by 15 lengths.

The former on good ground the latter on heavy.

Maybe the 3rd has improved having won 2 races since albeit well below Sat class of event or maybe he's been suited by the heavy ground more than Shantou.

Watching him I thought Shantou was handling the ground fine so I would suggest he's not improving and is unlikley to do so between now and March.

Form like his that is going nowhere is usually not good enough to win at the Festival and Barter's Hill will have had a bit more up his sleeve than Shantou hence he's the fav.

Barter's Hill is just lazy, but thou shall not pass him. Wouldn't surprise me if they stuck cheekpieces or a hood on for the big one.

Barter's Hill is just lazy, but thou shall not pass him. Wouldn't surprise me if they stuck cheekpieces or a hood on for the big one.

Not sure he is lazy - a challenging ride maybe

Can't see them putting pieces on at Chelt - Best thing would be to never run him short of 3m again and hope someone sets a decent pace for him

Shantou Village target dependent on the ground & just hoping it's not wet!. From the Sporting Life:

"He hated the ground and basically never went a yard on it. Ruby (Walsh) said he ran a cracker to finish second and he wouldn't mind riding him on good ground," said Mulholland."We weren't surprised he didn't like the ground, but we had to try and he's come out of the race well.
"He won't run on that ground again and where he runs at Cheltenham, if he goes there, will be totally down to the ground.
"If it's dry on both days we're probably looking towards the Albert Bartlett, but if it's dry on the Wednesday and looks like it might be softer on Friday, we'll run in the Neptune.
"If we get a wet Cheltenham, we'll miss it altogether and wait for Aintree."

Is it a large 'P' or a small 'p', as suggested before? There is a difference.

PS. I thought ratings didn't matter? :p

Back