Novice Hurdlers 2015/16

Quite a decline in entry levels over the last few years, good job Mullins has 18/64 in the Supreme and 22/78 in the Neptune :whistle:

Novice%20entries%20decline_zpsxyzutnob.jpg

The main thing that strikes me about those entries is the complete lack of quality in the Albert Bartlett compared to the other two novice events.

I don't know where this one fits in the Mullins hierarchy..maybe one of you guys have heard something. FIRE IN SOUL

This one put in a decent figure when winning by 7 lengths today..won in a time 4 seconds faster than the other division..and 12 seconds faster than the..albeit lowly handicap later on.

for a first time effort..pretty smart..2nd + 3rd will be worth a gander when they run again..the 2nd in particular Thumb Stone bLues...won't meet one like this every day

The curious thing about this horse is that Mouse Morris bought it and Gordon Elliott pre-trained it before it ended up with WPM. I was wondering before the race why it was moved on twice, and the betting suggested it was not a big fancy today. But as you say, that was a decent performance.

I don't know where this one fits in the Mullins hierarchy..maybe one of you guys have heard something. FIRE IN SOUL

Mark Howard put it up as his dark horse at the start of the season which is why I put it in the TTF

No nominations :whistle:

The curious thing about this horse is that Mouse Morris bought it and Gordon Elliott pre-trained it before it ended up with WPM. I was wondering before the race why it was moved on twice, and the betting suggested it was not a big fancy today. But as you say, that was a decent performance.

Thumb Stone bLues. drifted like barge on the machine well before it did at the course so something wasn't quite right. He was struggling too get on terms from some way out but ran on well enough but there's no Festival Horses among that lot imo

Thumb Stone bLues. drifted like barge on the machine well before it did at the course so something wasn't quite right. He was struggling too get on terms from some way out but ran on well enough but there's no Festival Horses among that lot imo

i didn't post because i thought there were any festival horses in it though..i posted because it was a decent performance

The main thing that strikes me about those entries is the complete lack of quality in the Albert Bartlett compared to the other two novice events.

It's typical on novices bear' A lot of horses have bags of speed when they are just coming out of their nappies and it's not until later in life they start needing further.

So the classie/speedier type start of life over the shorter trips

It's typical on novices bear' A lot of horses have bags of speed when they are just coming out of their nappies and it's not until later in life they start needing further.

So the classie/speedier type start of life over the shorter trips

Yeah agreed which surely makes Barters Hill one of the bets of the meeting since he had the beating of all the supposed classier types last season. Against all these slow boats he's a good thing (I was going to say he'll win doing hand stands but I don't think this horse does anything easily).

i didn't post because i thought there were any festival horses in it though..i posted because it was a decent performance

Winner looked useful and ran away from them from 2 out. I see he's by Robin Des Champs which probably means he'll be even better over further, hence his generous price today perhaps.

Yeah agreed which surely makes Barters Hill one of the bets of the meeting since he had the beating of all the supposed classier types last season. Against all these slow boats he's a good thing (I was going to say he'll win doing hand stands but I don't think this horse does anything easily).

He's been doing everything but handstands at his hurdles so even doing a few of them on the way round might not stop him

tbh I wouldn't be worried about his jumping as that run will have brought him on a ton and they have plenty time to be schooling him.

I believe that Fire In Soul is seen very much as a future chaser. Gigginstown have plenty of entries in the Neptune and AB so you'd deduce that FiS is some way down the pecking order as a novice hurdler.

When I said that was a decent performance from Fire In Soul I was not even remotely thinking Cheltenham.

Alan King's Gibralfaro likely starter in Adonis Hurdle at Kempton en route to Triumph Hurdle, same route as Penzance in 2005

I am not a fan of the Albert Bartlett - it is a brutal race on the New Course especially when it is soft . I would be minded to swop it and the Neptune so it is run on the Old Course on the Wednesday . The Neptune is also a much classier race . The AB always seems a flat affair to have just before the Gold Cup .

I am not a fan of the Albert Bartlett - it is a brutal race on the New Course especially when it is soft . I would be minded to swop it and the Neptune so it is run on the Old Course on the Wednesday . The Neptune is also a much classier race . The AB always seems a flat affair to have just before the Gold Cup .

Agree but they're never going to have fewer races again. Can't remember who it was (maybe Mullholland or Pauling) but someone was saying how little actual distance there is between the two events.

Tombstone is a first time hood tomorrow. He looks a bet to me and I'd love to back him for Cheltenham now but absolutely no clue which race he'll go for.

Last edited:
Skybet are offering 7/2 Ivanovich Gorbatov today. They're not allowing it to be put into multiples though so not interested.

Back