Novice Hurdlers 2015/16

Bellshill 2017 will be a much better horse than he is this year. I think he's here to get some experience of the track and if he gets in the money it will be a bonus.

More reflective of what he's done so far to be honest.

Give me Buver D'air form any day tho. I think on novice hurdle form it's the stand out piece we have in this race. Wait For Me was 3rd in a champion bumper and Buveur D'air made him look one paced that day, destroyed him. I've talked to Noel Fehily about this lad in Thurles in January and you could tell he excited him. He's since said he's his best chance of the week for him. Corky Browne, Nicky's head lad said this is their best chance all week. The slower ground tomorrow will play to his strengths.

Happy with my 16s and 12s on this fella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks KA. Do you know the reason behind Giggi moving him from Elliot? Won a nice prize in punchestown bumper on last start for GE.

Ya won the Goffs Landrover bumper which I think is still much more valuable in terms of prize money than the festival one.

Mullins bought it for O'Leary's but like all Giggis went to Elliott's for point to point win. Elliott trains all or most of their good pointers. Stayed with him for bumper before moving back to Mullins for this season.

Last edited:
Cheers lads. Anyone give him an E/W squeak tomorrow? Jockey David Mullins on a roll lately with 4 winners in last 5 rides , and at tasty prices too. Granted he's WPM 3rd string, but I've backed worse 50/1 shots on my time.

I'd say he'd struggle to fill a place on known form, especially with the quality of tomorrows field.

Cheers lads. Anyone give him an E/W squeak tomorrow? Jockey David Mullins on a roll lately with 4 winners in last 5 rides , and at tasty prices too. Granted he's WPM 3rd string, but I've backed worse 50/1 shots on my time.
I can see him finishing strongly up the hill but think he might be outpaced from 2 to 3 out judging on his past couple of runs. If they go too hard early on, you never know...

Long Dog goes for the Bartlett then. Thomas Hobson runs tomorrow.

This could mean a different sort of race in the Neptune with Thomas Hobson and Yala Enki tearing off. It'll need one who can definitely get the trip.

2015 Douvan 165?
2014 Vautour 157
2013 Champagne Fever 162?
2012 Cinder And Ashes 157
2011 Al Ferof 157
2010 Menorah 155

2009 - 2005 missing

2004 Brave Inca 150
2003 Back In Front 158
2002 Like A Butterfly 145*
2001 no race
2000 missing
1999 Hors La Loi 154
1998 French Ballerina 152*
1997 Shadow Leader 149
*mare getting the allowance

The missing files will turn up. I know what they look like and they must be in an archive box that I put apart from the others for some reason.

Anyway, this gives a flavour of the history of the race.

Douvan, as everyone acknowledges, was a truly exceptional winner but I think his OR after the race was 'only' 160. I realise what I'm implying when I say that Altior is a 164+ animal. The Mullins team appear to hold Min in at least the same regard as Douvan, hence my being afraid of him but when I backed Altior he was 8/1 with 164 on the board while Min has subsequently hit 152 but was a short-priced favourite. Min can win all he wants at his price but my figures say he really will need to be the equal of Douvan to have any chance of beating Altior.

Another thing I notice is that, much like global warming, the novices seem to be getting hotter. Maybe trainers are working them a bit harder because the festival's importance has grown in recent years too. Then, with the quality that Ricci et al are buying in, the bar is being raised. It's getting to the stage where it might be getting meaningless to compare contemporary novices with those of yesteryear.

Nice to be vindicated. Even nicer to make some dough!

Last edited:
I'll after time and say I dived in wit nice bet half hour before but my mate loaded on at kempton. And quite right tooThat's the way to start the week. Time may have said one thing but the form kicked in as did the visual impression at kempton. Sometimes just trust what you see instinctively see first time

isnt that right mr Mullins?

Back