Novice Hurdlers 2016/17

In terms of physique and the way he goes about his work, Finian's Oscar reminds me very-much of Monsignor, which hopefully means he has a very bright future ahead of him (fingers-crossed he sees a lot more of the racecourse than Monsignor did).

Last edited:
And Vautour won it the year before that, Don Cossack was 2nd the year before and in the 14 years since it's inception it's also been won by Mikael D'Hagernaut and Kicking King.

As trials go this is right up there.

Last edited:
And Vautour won it the year before that, Don Cossack was 2nd the year before and in the 14 years since it's inception it's also been won by Mikael D'Hagernaut and Kicking King.

As trials go this is right up there.

Mikael can hardly be put in the top category, unless we are talking hounds!

Was very impressed with Overland Flyer there at Taunton

Not sure what Nicholls has got planned but that's the most impressive display from a 3m novice hurdler this side of the water this season

WPM on Melon

He is in better form, having just had a few little niggles," Mullins said. "There's enough talk about him anyway! He is nice though, I like him. I need to get him out as I don't want to wait another year as a novice with him. He'll be running very soon I'd say."

I like Runfordave, 11/2, in the Moscow Flyer today & Willoughby Court in the Neptune trial at Warwick 9/1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Runfordave, 11/2, in the Moscow Flyer today & Willoughby Court in the Neptune trial at Warwick 9/1.

Willoughby Court was brilliant today. Couldn't believe the 9/1 available last night. The SP was more reflective of his chances. RFD ran well too, got the last all wrong.

The form of the maiden Cilaos Emery won is looking smart; Joey Sasa won in Foxrock over Christmas and the mare he beat (Barra) won as she liked in Fairyhouse today.

CE one for the Delloite I presume?

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=23206424&category=0

If you look at the betting for the Dawn Run, Willie has Airlie and then:
Let's Dance - rated about the same as Airlie by the handicapper but Willie has talked of her needing a trip to be seen at her best. He's could run her in the open mares hurdle.
Augusta Kate - has only run over longer trips so may be better suited to the Neptune or the Bartlett.
Camelia De Cotte - tons of promise but needs to run at graded level to see what she can do. Like Let's Dance, a Ricci horse and I doubt they'll both run.
Asthuria - they like her but she's accident prone. They need to get her out again.
Pravalaguna - who knows?

Those are just my observations rather than inside knowledge. Willie doesn't talk to us about other owners' horses. My own opinion is that Willie will run Airlie, Camelia and Asthuria but Myska was second favourite this time last year so there's really no telling.

Last edited:
Entries are on 30th January and I expect she'll get one for the Supreme. As Steve says, the Dawn Run is the logical target but it's up to Willie. For my own part, there's still 8 weeks to go but I haven't yet seen a novice that I'd be afraid of in receipt of 7lb. However, I also have Bunk Off Early. If he earns his ticket for the boat over, I can't see them both going for the Supreme.

Back