Novice Hurdlers 2016/17

I need to watch the Neon wolf re-run, but my first impression was he's top quality. Likely Cheltenham ground wouldn’t put me off either, but it sounds like he may skip the festival all together

Neon Wolf is as good as The New One. Well the video evidence and the clock, suggests. He also traveled much smoother and had plenty left at the finish.

He did jump awkward over the first three, but once the pace quickened, he was not only slick but clever too.

If his jumping was as bad as Tanlic thinks, then to clock a 2 sec faster time than TNO; he must have some engine.....on only his 3rd ever run.

Lots of scope.

Last edited:
Comparison to The New One isn't entirely pointless; it was used to gauge the performance!

Pricewise doing the Supreme in tomorrow's RP. I appreciate that most don't put too much stock in these, but this one should be a little more interesting considering the lack of certainty in this market at present. There always seems to posters here able to confirm the picks the night before... Any thoughts or confirmations?

Online RP is available at 8 the night before DH

He went Charli parcs and Consail de Thaix
I didn't realise it was available so early granger. A guy I knew years ago (long before I was in to punting) used to tell me he set his alarm to get up every morning at something like 2am and back all the pricewise picks, then he'd lay them again the following lunchtime for gaurenteed no risk profit. How true that is I suppose I'll never know, but that's what he claimed. On the basis of that I always thought the online RP wasn't available until then, having never been a subscriber myself.

Pre-Twitter, connected people would often post the Pricewise Saturday picks on Message Boards (TRF certainly) on the Friday night, going as far back as the Mel Collier days.

Consul De Thaix looked impressive and the better finisher in his first meeting with Brain Power but he was getting a massive 10lbs

On the book and according to the betting market he should just about have beaten Brain Power at Ascot getting 14lbs but ended up being beaten 4 lengths further.

Considering Brain Power had already ran and would have been the fitter before their first meeting you would have to think Consul De Thaix would have improved past him.

What we could be missing here is there was only 2 weeks between the 2 races and Consul De Thaix had the harder race at Sandown.

Him being only a 4yo and immature by comparison the 1st meeting may have taken more out of him and could be the reason Brain Power seemed to show improvement.

As we know the OH had a rush of blood to the head and hit Brain Power with a massive 13lb rise.

Then to cover his ass he put Consul De Thaix up 4lbs to 140 for good measure ignoring the fact that he had beaten Fergal a 136 horse only a neck

So the idea is to get beat further on worse terms and we'll penalise you for it DUH! DUH! DUH!........No wonder trainers like Nicky henderson are left pulling their hair out at times.

I don't know about the Supreme as there's along way to go but as much as I disagree with the OH's menthods if he was suffering a bit for that first meeting he might just be a snip for the Betfair

Last edited:
He must have some idea that one of them runs to put them up.

I doubt that very much

Nicky wants to run Charli on Saturday to see how he acts on the course as we know

He never ran on the flat but he does look very speedy which is not always suitable for Cheltenham.

If he were to show a dislike for the course Nicky says he'll wait for Aintree.:rolleyes:

BUT Nicky said exactly the same thing about Binocular, exactly the same when he wanted to run him in the Triumph and they said no

So until after Saturday he is not in a position to say yes or no or ask JP can I run him in the ??????

What swings me if things go well on Saturday is JP owes him big time for the Binocular debacle and said openly he regrets it so I reckon this time what Nicky wants Nicky gets.

As both races are worth exactly the same amount and Nicky has the choice he would be mad to go Supreme

The more experience Hobbs horse would be the better choice to go Supreme anyway.

Pricewise is a Bengal lancer and throws **** at huge prices at the wall and it doesn't take many of them to stick to show a profit......if you don't go skint first "0)

Last edited:
Pre-Twitter, connected people would often post the Pricewise Saturday picks on Message Boards (TRF certainly) on the Friday night, going as far back as the Mel Collier days.

Isn't the RP out in the news stalls in London at about 10pm?

I find oddschecker is sometimes a guide to Pricewise. If something in one of the TV races goes blue across the board the afternoon before it can be because word is out.

2 for Tom Segal ante post in Supreme:

Charli Parcs 14/1 1pt win
Consul De Thaix 22/1 1pt win

spacer.gif

Consul De Thaix a possibility for the Neptune also according to Henderson last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the iPad app newspaper that is downloaded at 8:00 PM the night before, I'm not sure if the digital version is available at the same time.

I like Charli Parcs as a pick and think there's some mileage even in the 8/1 NRNB on offer with Skybet because if he's confirmed for this race it's hard to see him going off any bigger in an open year. It does make a nice change this year to have an open betting race that isn't by this stage dominated by an even money WPM horse and I'd love to see him go for it.

Can't have a maiden that was beaten out of sight in the Triumph though - despite that being run on the new course - so I'll pass re Consul De Thaix, even if he seems to have shown improvement this year so far. Of course, that could change should he hose up in the Betfair.

I have a feeling we'll be guessing as to what lines up right until the last minute though as connections of horses like Neon Wolf, Finians Oscar and Any Second Now could be persuaded to run if the ground is looking to be on the soft side.

Last edited:
Anyone going to the Betfair Hurdle may be interested to know Sprinter Sacre will be there doing his thing before racing. I believe Denman will also be there

First test of the Tolworth form today with the 4th Global Stage turned over by a 119 rated Twiston Davis poke. Unfortunately I thought he was a certainty :(

Anyone know why La Bague Au Roi (Mares Novice) has gone from 6/1 to 9/1 on Betfair in less than 3 weeks including 7/1 to 9/1 in the last week?

Back