Novice Hurdlers 2016/17

What about Cadmium, archie? Ruby gave him a strong mention in an interview on RTE over Christmas - But he didn't run then.
Any upcoming plans for him confirmed? Thanks.

From RP

SUPREME RACING syndicate manager Steve Massey is hoping his racing fairytale continues at the Cheltenham Festival with unbeaten mare Airlie Beach, who is most likely to run in the mares' novice hurdle over 2m1f.
An impressive winner of the Grade 1 Royal Bond Novice Hurdle in December, Airlie Beach could go for the Sky Bet Supreme Novices' Hurdle or the Trull House Stud Mares' Novices' Hurdle at Cheltenham, but Massey will leave running plans to trainer Willie Mullins.
"If Willie was to say we'll run in the Supreme Novices' we'd say great.
"However, it's not every day you have a favourite for a race, which she is for the mares' novice after her Grade 1 win," Massey said.
"There's the Supreme option for her, but I'd say she's more likely to run in the mares' novice. Both races are over two miles and Willie will have the final say.
"It's possible she may run next in the Deloitte Novice Hurdle at Leopardstown or she could go straight to the festival."
Able deputy
If Airlie Beach tackles the mares' novice hurdle, for which she is a 4-1 chance, Massey believes the syndicate could have an able Supreme deputy in impressive Leopardstown maiden hurdle winner Bunk Off Early.

He said: "He could be a dark horse. He jumped well and stayed on nicely and the time of the race was good."
Bunk Off Early is a top price of 25-1 for the Supreme Novices' Hurdle.

Steve's been ill so I'll forgive him for describing a roan as a dark horse.

Cadmium and Bunk Off Early are among a number that need to come out and earn their ticket to Cheltenham. Entries close on the 30th and you'd imagine they would get one if they stay fit.

There is no comparable race for Supreme-bound horses in the UK at the same time in the Calendar, but the Deloitte's timing for Cheltenham is near-perfect, being scheduled around 5 weeks before the Festival.

Yet here is an £80+K race, with not a single entry from the UK.

Madness.

It's a shame that it's 2m2f rather than the bare 2m. There are very few unrestricted 2m novice (as distinct from maiden) hurdles in Ireland in January and February which makes the standard maiden/novice/graded transition quite difficult.

Yet here is an £80+K race, with not a single entry from the UK.

Madness.

It really is a quite narrow minded approach isn't.

Messers PFN, NH et al must have something to send over if even just for sighting purposes

Kerry Lee showed last term that their is money to be made from targeting Irish races

Like Nicky talking through his arse about sending his supreme 3rd over to chase Min

Certainly complaints about opportunities and prize-money ring a little hollow, when they apparently can't be arsed to look further than the end of their nose, for a suitable, valuable race.

It's a shame that it's 2m2f rather than the bare 2m. There are very few unrestricted 2m novice (as distinct from maiden) hurdles in Ireland in January and February which makes the standard maiden/novice/graded transition quite difficult.

I take a different view with the Deloitte. Over the years it's been a fantastic trial for both the Supreme and the Neptune. The roll of honour of horses that have won and placed that have gone on to win or place at the Festival is notable.

I've always seen it as a perfect trial for the Supreme specifically. The extra 2 furlongs and the way this race is usually run generally ensure you've got a horse with a bit of class that will stay 2 miles at championship pace. It also allows for the perfect break between races.

The flip side is many trainers opt for the Neptune after this race, and then come back to 2 miles the following season.

I wasn't knocking the purpose of the Deloitte, Maruco, it will actually suit a couple of mine. I'm more bemoaning the lack of alternative races for a basic 2 miler graduate from the flat. If you ran one at Leopardstown at Christmas and therefore needed 3 to 4 weeks recovery, there is quite literally nothing in the 2m unrestricted novice category in Ireland between the Moscow Flyer and the Deloitte.

Last edited:
Sorry I Archie I see that now having re-read. I was being a bit thick.

It's a very good point, and it's something I'd neither noticed or considered. I guess Willie and Gordon Elliott aren't averse to travelling them over here though. Willie did so to good effect last season, but given the lack of horses we've seen from him over here this season I guess it was because he was chasing both titles rather, than a lack of options. Perhaps a bit of both. On the other hand I suppose it could be that he doesn't believe he has the same depth of talent in his novices so it's not as big an issue this season.

The issue relates to all trainers though, and many owners can't afford to travel their horses, or are reluctant to unless they've got a Festival aspirant, so it's something HRI should be looking at.

I presumed the idea behind the 2m2f trip was that in order a assemble from Ireland's smaller horse population a field deep enough to justify Grade 1 status it was necessary to attract both Supreme and Neptune-bound horses.

It certainly worked. The top three home each season usually go on to good things, and the roll-call of Supreme, Neptune, and Champion Hurdle winners is incredible. I doubt any trial elsewhere has come even close to producing so many champions.

Nice workout from Neon Wolf
Supreme Novices still looks very open, This years Cinders and Ashes maybe?

Last edited:
On that performance the better option would be the Neptune. The Supreme looks the easier of the two races at this stage though.

Soft ground Haydock good ground Cheltenham. Worlds apart, both for this horse and BDM who I see shortened for the Gold Cup. Avin a larf.

Never impressed me as a Supreme or Neptune horse. Nice photo Granger but when I was watching it listening to the commentator saying he was jumping fluently I found myself thinking NOT really?

Adequate but has a slightly awkward jumping style, ballooning slightly, getting slightly too close at a few and to me and not a GREAT jumper like they were making out. That would be a worry me a little in a race at the speed of a race like the Supreme. 2nd was stopping which flattered him slightly.

I heard the commentator starting to compare him to Moonracer and thought that's enough nonsense for one day and turned to the other channel:)

Last edited:
Back