Novice Hurdlers 2016/17

When Ruby was pressed to give a horse for the 'Punters at home' for the rest of the Christmas period he put forward CADMIUM who runs in 3m Grade 2 Novice Hurdle at Limerick this Thursday. The reason I'm putting this up here is because I was quite surprised he didn't give a more obvious/well known horse.

And while I usually take everything the Mullins stable tells the public with a pinch of salt, this interview was just after Min had won, when Ruby seemed to be quite Euphoric and have his guard down somewhat - as I referred to on the other thread. Anyway, as it was a horse I had barely heard of it I thought it interesting he put this one up and Ruby suggested he would be very difficult to beat. He's another that is owned by the supreme racing club so maybe Archie can tell us a bit more?

Easy for him to pick a maiden at the lesser track. Get impression it was one who done a nice piece of work with something at home.

He did seem a bit cheerier than usual after the Min race today. I'd say they didn't expect it to be as impressive.

Easy for him to pick a maiden at the lesser track. Get impression it was one who done a nice piece of work with something at home.

He did seem a bit cheerier than usual after the Min race today. I'd say they didn't expect it to be as impressive.

In that case, Bunk off early the horse he worked with I'd imagine. Ruby more or less said that the way BOE won today, then Cadmium would be hard to beat.

archie,you must be getting excited
Bunk Off Early, Cadmium and Airlie Beach were all original entries for the Future Champions race on Tuesday. While this is an indicator of good things to come they were only 3 of 20 entries from Closutton so I wasn't getting carried away. Airlie is on a break (but had her stock raised by Saturnas) and Cadmium will get more time. I don't know what you guys on course thought but I was quite impressed with BOE. He is suddenly way the best Zebedee over jumps with a startlingly high RPR for one race. We'll see what happens over the next few weeks but I'd like to think that one of them will get to Leopardstown in February. One step at a time, eh.

Only a Juvenile but had to comment on what I thought was the most impressive juvenile performance I have seen since Peace and Co stormed home at Donnie before going on to win the Triumph.

Charli Parcs never put a foot wrong and in many ways reminded me of Binocular with his swift jumping style he never touched a twig and won like he had 2 stone in hand.

I quickly grabbed 10/1 for the Triumph despite JP's other horse with Hobbs is favourite.

I had backed him to win at Kempton but Barry Geraghty had decided to stay in Ireland to ride Housesofparliament for young Joseph and had been stuffed 25 mins earlier.

Charli Parcs can't be that good if Barry didn't come over??? That might have been going through the punters heads and the bookies minds for that matter and he started to drift like a barge, so I backed him again.

It's quite possible if Barry is committed to Defi Du Seiul, who does look the business as well, that perhaps Nicky suggested that Noel Fehily get familiar with Charli Parcs ?????

I think we have seen a star of the future if Barry is committed to riding Defi Du Seiul in the Triumph then IMO he's on the wrong horse

Last edited:
Charli Parcs never put a foot wrong and in many ways reminded me of Binocular with his swift jumping style he never touched a twig and won like he had 2 stone in hand.

I quickly grabbed 10/1 for the Triumph despite JP's other horse with Hobbs is favourite.

Binocular hopefully is an apt comparison. Nicky has nowt for the Supreme with Lough Dergh Spirit and Jenkins exposed the last couple of weeks. CP isn't quoted with any layers but he was 24 on the machine last night. Worth a little just in case.

Last edited:
Only a Juvenile but had to comment on what I thought was the most impressive juvenile performance I have seen since Peace and Co stormed home at Donnie before going on to win the Triumph.

I had backed him to win at Kempton but Barry Geraghty had decided to stay in Ireland to ride Housesofparliament for young Joseph and had been stuffed 25 mins earlier.

Charli Parcs can't be that good if Barry didn't come over??? That might have been going through the punters heads and the bookies minds for that matter and he started to drift like a barge, so I backed him again.

It's quite possible if Barry is committed to Defi Du Seiul, who does look the business as well, that perhaps Nicky suggested that Noel Fehily get familiar with Charli Parcs ?????

I think we have seen a star of the future if Barry is committed to riding Defi Du Seiul in the Triumph then IMO he's on the wrong horse

If Charli Parcs is seriously the best juvenile performance you have witnessed since Peace & Co, then you've obviously not watched any of Defi Du Seuil's races.

DDS is now unbeaten in four hurdles outings, which he has won with comments of "very easily", 'not extended", "readily", and "comfortably", winning a G2 and a G1 in the process. He also has Triumph C&D form, having won at the December meeting, in between those two Graded wins (the first of which was on the Old Course at Cheltenham).

You are the on the wrong horse, not Barry Geraghty. ;)

DDS will have to be produced very late in the Triumph as he won't get away with that jumping in such a competitive race. Looks a very talented animal though.

There's every chance Charlie Parcs will be sent to the Supreme since JP has an embarrassment of riches with the juveniles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This yeas crop of juveniles look like not having as many rats from the flat, they surely all can't turn up.

Given how Jenkins bombed, maybe Nicky will send him supreme racing

Connections have done it before. Two things, JP has loads of Triumph horses and Nicky has no likely Supreme animal. It also might be a more winnable race.

Bunk Off Early, Cadmium and Airlie Beach were all original entries for the Future Champions race on Tuesday. While this is an indicator of good things to come they were only 3 of 20 entries from Closutton so I wasn't getting carried away. Airlie is on a break (but had her stock raised by Saturnas) and Cadmium will get more time. I don't know what you guys on course thought but I was quite impressed with BOE. He is suddenly way the best Zebedee over jumps with a startlingly high RPR for one race. We'll see what happens over the next few weeks but I'd like to think that one of them will get to Leopardstown in February. One step at a time, eh.

Bunk Off Early showed a nice turn of foot and ran straight to the line

8 in the Challow Hurdle tomorrow

Ami Debois, Baltazar D'Allier, Cultivator, Elegant Escape, Major Mac, Messire Des Obeaux, Peak To Peak, Robin Roe.

If Charli Parcs is seriously the best juvenile performance you have witnessed since Peace & Co, then you've obviously not watched any of Defi Du Seuil's races.

DDS is now unbeaten in four hurdles outings, which he has won with comments of "very easily", 'not extended", "readily", and "comfortably", winning a G2 and a G1 in the process. He also has Triumph C&D form, having won at the December meeting, in between those two Graded wins (the first of which was on the Old Course at Cheltenham).

You are the on the wrong horse, not Barry Geraghty.

Yep Grassy he must be good he won early season Juvenile Group races:blink: How long have you been at this game that I have to explain the facts of life to you again?

Once there was a man called Brian and they made a movie about his Life.......you really should watch it. It will give you a fresh outlook on things :lol:

Where was I? Oh Yeah Defi Du Seuil !!! Nice horse that Hobbs brought out in early October because he was very mature for his tender age and he has cleaned up accordingly.

Have you any idea how many horses who ran in October scooping up early season trials before the big boys come out have actually won a Triumph Hurdle?

You occasionally get the exceptions like katchit but there are very few.

Zarkandar and Soldatino weren't even heard of until February because trainers want to give their best horses as much time as possible or at least until they are ready.

Soldatino was kept in France and never even came to the UK until after the New year if I remember right

Most winners will come out late Novemeber/Decemeber and don't run in that Future Champion race........it's produced 1 TH winner in about 45 years

That is why you have a horse who has won these Group races but is available and easy to back at 6/1...lesson 2 5pm tomorrow :lol:

Last edited:
Binocular hopefully is an apt comparison. Nicky has nowt for the Supreme with Lough Dergh Spirit and Jenkins exposed the last couple of weeks. CP isn't quoted with any layers but he was 24 on the machine last night. Worth a little just in case.

On reflection Nicky was dead against running Binocular in the Supreme. He was forced to run him by JP and Frank Berry because they had backed Franchoek Ante Post

I actually watched a video of Jp showing someone round his yard where he keeps all his old stars and he actually said he made a huge mistake.

He is highly unlikely to be telling Nicky where the horse should run and apart from Binocular I don't remember Nicky ever running a 4 year olds in the Supreme.....Correct me if I am wrong

He does lie to win the Adonis so I imagine the talked about clash at the end of January with the Hobbs horse is BS

To be honest as good a trainer as he is I fond his running plans difficult with some of his charges. He pulls Vyta Du Roc out of the Welsh Nash presumably because the ground wasn't soft enough - and has him declared for Cheltenham on Sunday (good ground at present). And L'ami Serge is in the Relkeel. Fair enough he was poor at Exeter, but his issue there was jumping out to his left, surely he deserves another chance on a more appropriate track.

Last edited:

You are the on the wrong horse, not Barry Geraghty.

Yep Grassy he must be good he won early season Juvenile Group races:blink: How long have you been at this game that I have to explain the facts of life to you again?

Once there was a man called Brian and they made a movie about his Life.......you really should watch it. It will give you a fresh outlook on things :lol:

Where was I? Oh Yeah Defi Du Seuil !!! Nice horse that Hobbs brought out in early October because he was very mature for his tender age and he has cleaned up accordingly.

Have you any idea how many horses who ran in October scooping up early season trials before the big boys come out have actually won a Triumph Hurdle?

You occasionally get the exceptions like katchit but there are very few.

Zarkandar and Soldatino weren't even heard of until February because trainers want to give their best horses as much time as possible or at least until they are ready.

Soldatino was kept in France and never even came to the UK until after the New year if I remember right

Most winners will come out late Novemeber/Decemeber and don't run in that Future Champion race........it's produced 1 TH winner in about 45 years

That is why you have a horse who has won these Group races but is available and easy to back at 6/1...lesson 2 5pm tomorrow :lol:

Fine....learn the hard way. ;)

Well at least Nicky agrees with me
I see StanJames.com have introduced Charli into the Triumph Hurdle betting at 7/1, behind JPs other horse, DEFI DU SEUIL who is 6/1 and while there is a lot of water to go under the bridge between now and then I would like to think that our horse is right up there with the best juveniles this season; he’s pretty smart – or I hope so anyway! Nicky Henderson

Back