Novice Hurdlers 2016/17

Ruby said he'd want another race before Cheltenham but racing manager Mick O'Toole said he won't.

He wouldn't be for me if they aren't planning to run him again. He'd be setting a precedent if he won the Supreme after such little experience.

Withdrawing CP with less than half an hour to racetime was bang out of order.

TBF it was stated 24hrs previously that CP's participation would be ground dependent, I guess they kept waiting to see how much rain would actually fall and left it late hoping to let him run.

It was always unlikely that both DDS and CP would run but I'd agree it was disappointing that the decision was made as late as it was. With the overnight rain I'd have thought the ground conditions would have been fairly obvious a good bit earlier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubbish from a spectator point of view but fantastic from a betting angle as we managed to get 8/13 about a 1/5 chance.

Honestly no! My worry is Nicky is told he can't run the horse in the Triumph.

If you think Defi is the better horse and let's say your right then he's the one you'd want to run in the Supreme which is by far the tougher race.

My bet is Petite Mouchoir 8/1 Charli Parccs 8/1 plus a double EW..........If I get wind Charli is going to the Supreme and I will if that is the case I'll simply lay him off .knowing those bookies. he'll be 4/1 after Saturday

Winning that race on Saturday never had me running for cover as the second is just a middle of the road juvenile that Charli would have done the same to.

There was no conspiracy or preference given to one trainer over the other. Defi ran and not Charli which wasn't made clear 1 week before the race, if the ground was soft they agreed Defi would run and Charli would go elsewhere and vice versa if the ground was good. That is why I kept asking if it was raining :0) Nicky 100% wanted to run but luck had it the ground turned up soft.

I hear they are calling him Charli Sheen the real machine because he's full of speed :lol:

I had a rethink.......they know already Defi is a very good horse they think Charli is but I could be wrong as could they and he could be a flash in the pan.

It therefor makes more sense to run Def in the Triumph and all but guaranteeing a 69k prize in the kitty and send the young pretender to the Supreme.

I an covering my ass by adding Charli for the Supreme to my portfolio

I am still a massive fan of the horse and as I said right after his first run I reckon he's a future CH winner

Last edited:
When I opened that I was expecting to read Steve Massey announcing Airlie Beach as an intended runner in The Supreme Archie! :whistle::lol:

There's a mares novice and an INHS novice at the weekend where I'm expecting several of Willie's to stake their Cheltenham claim. Things may be a bit clearer then but Steve's thoughts are the latest information that I have.

Thanks Archie. I fully expect she'll run in the Mares Novices, particularly as Willie has a battalion of geldings for the Supreme, Neptune and Albert Bartlett. As I've said previously though, her 7lb allowance looks very useful in the context of the Supreme this year, and I see her as having a leading chance in either race.

Wherever she goes it's exciting times.

I had a rethink.......they know already Defi is a very good horse they think Charli is but I could be wrong as could they and he could be a flash in the pan.

It therefor makes more sense to run Def in the Triumph and all but guaranteeing a 69k prize in the kitty and send the young pretender to the Supreme.

I an covering my ass by adding Charli for the Supreme to my portfolio

I am still a massive fan of the horse and as I said right after his first run I reckon he's a future CH winner

Finally!.....

Same here. However in hindsight 2m4f on good ground against the Ricci mare might've been too sharp for him. This should be right up his street.

I also done Ask Nile from my tracker in the previous race.

Last edited:
The official reason for Monalee being withdrawn was 'declared in error'. Very odd when you consider that he was declared on Friday at 10.00 and not withdrawn until about 10.00 on Sunday.

Cant wait to see Monalee over 3m in clonmel tomorrow.

was dying to see him Sunday.

Very smart prospect

Can't believe Monalee is so short today. Was hopeful of getting a nice price.
@granger - I see your old favourite New To This Town is running in the same race. Finally stepped up to 3 miles that you were hoping for.
What are the vibes today - will you be backing him?

No - he is being saved for a chase campaign and probably a handicap one

He is as described by someone who rode him ' a lazy dumb bas*ard of a horse'

Somone's backing him anyway. Himself & Monalee are the only two attracting any sort of support.

Back