Novice Hurdlers 2016/17

Monalee won very easily there. It was very Heavy going and with Turcagua pulled up, hard to know how the form reads in the bigger picture. Be interesting to see where he goes next. Regardless of that, he will be an exciting staying novice chaser next season!

I seem to remember a lot of talk about the horse 'Mick Jazz' - possibly on the Betfair hurdle thread,or with a view to Handicaps.
He takes on Cilaos Emery tomorrow in a listed novice hurdle 1:30 at Punchestown. It will be interesting to see how he gets on.

I hope you're tingling, archie, great times for you. The looking forward is for most of us the best part of racing.

I hope you're tingling, archie, great times for you. The looking forward is for most of us the best part of racing.
5 weeks of crossed fingers for sure. I've great respect for La Bague Au Roi and Lets Dance but, after Camelia De Cotte runs today, there's not much time for anything else to stake a claim.

I seem to remember a lot of talk about the horse 'Mick Jazz' - possibly on the Betfair hurdle thread,or with a view to Handicaps.
He takes on Cilaos Emery tomorrow in a listed novice hurdle 1:30 at Punchestown. It will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Mick Jazz found plenty for pressure there. The Fav pulled hard early. Hard to know what that form amounts to. MJ was OR 134 prior to this. Unfortunately there is no other 2mile hurdle race on the card today to try and get a time comparison on this race.

Last edited:
Well I was correct anyway. He's 12/1 now. Collared on the line. Very seldom you see Ruby get done in a driving finish like that. Jack Kennedy is some pilot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With handicap experience his rating would be more genuine than a lot of novices whatever it is.
That he had to overcome the last hurdle carnage the last day and come on for it says a lot about his attitude.

Elliot just saying there that County Hurdle is the plan for Mick Jazz and then America later in the year :ninja:

You been eating Augie pills? Didn't do the form any harm but I doubt if it will have every punter in the land rushing to back Defi on that evidence.....seen a better a more competitive 3 legged sack race :cool:

Every sane punter in the land was on Defi weeks ago, whilst lesser-mortals were pi*ssing-about with Charli Parcs. :p

I'm gutted. I've been banging on about Mick Jazz for a while and was waiting for him to pop up in a nice handicap but he'll have blown hismark now, especially with the BHA as good as admitting they add pounds onto the Elliott runners that come over here.

Campeador had him well beaten LTO though and I'm really looking forward to this one next time but I fear he'll be bet accordingly.

I'm gutted. I've been banging on about Mick Jazz for a while and was waiting for him to pop up in a nice handicap but he'll have blown hismark now, especially with the BHA as good as admitting they add pounds onto the Elliott runners that come over here.

Campeador had him well beaten LTO though and I'm really looking forward to this one next time but I fear he'll be bet accordingly.

I've been looking into Mick Jazz a bit further this afternoon, Wilson. As I mentioned above, Elliot said County hurdle is the plan and MJ was Irish OR 134 before today. On his Betfair hurdle entry the English Handicapper had him on 141. Last year the bottom weight in the County was 138. I just wonder was there a slight danger he wouldn't have gotten into the County off that mark (unlikely I know), and Elliot felt he needed to run him today to ensure getting a couple of lbs to secure entry? My thoughts are that if Elliot's plan was the County all along, then MJ would not have even been fully tuned up today. So why run him and risk blowing his mark? Is it possible they've left a bit to work on? I think that he will appreciate the better ground resulting in a performance come March that is a nice few lbs above what we saw today. He's currently 16/1 for the County. It now remains to be be seen what the English handicapper does (I don't even know the rules or timings for doing this - if MJ does not run in the Betfair, does he stay at UK OR 141?). If he can and does put him up, how high can he really put him? Anything over 145 puts him towards the top of the Supreme market based on ratings! To put that into perspective, Moon Racer is only rated 141! Top UK novices are Finnians Oscar 149 & Neon Wolf 148. Anything under 144 for MJ and he still interests me for the County.

Back