Novice Hurdlers 2016/17

Nice drift on Jenkins, poor jumper but got speed.
If they tidy up the jumping a player in the supreme.
Ran a decent time by all accounts with improvement to come.
Hendo reckons 2 miler.

Last edited:
Jenkins wants the Neptune trip on that evidence......all he did was stay-on from the end of the straight.

Last edited:
But it's rare that an out and out 2 miler wins the Supreme Grass so I think it bodes well that he looks like he wants an extra 4f. I'd have no concerns with his ability to cope with the fast run 2m - it's just how his jumping will hold up in that test.

We'll obviously get to see him again before March so will have another chance to assess and it was his first run over hurdles and maybe his jumping would actually improve at a faster pace.

I couldn't be rushing in AP just yet though.

But it's rare that an out and out 2 miler wins the Supreme Grass so I think it bodes well that he looks like he wants an extra 4f. I'd have no concerns with his ability to cope with the fast run 2m - it's just how his jumping will hold up in that test.

We'll obviously get to see him again before March so will have another chance to assess and it was his first run over hurdles and maybe his jumping would actually improve at a faster pace.

I couldn't be rushing in AP just yet though.

Clearly, it would be foolish to judge him too harshly, Lee, but Jenkins had to be ridden for pretty-much all of 3-furlongs to get to the front (he didn't cruise there), and I'd be expecting a genuine Supreme contender to have travelled much more smoothly into the race. Couple that lack of bare speed with some questionable jumping, and Supreme Novices race might be lost, long before his stamina can make a difference. On my reading of the race, he would be an ideal type for the Neptune, but each to their own.

Last edited:
Monksfield has a nice field sunday

Death Duty
Lion In His Heart
Livelovelaugh
Monbeg Notorious
Stretchingthetruth
Stand Up And Fight
She's A Star(125) (NMeade)

Invitation Only and New To This Town Saturday

if I had to pick one for the future from that opening maiden at Newbury it would be Captain Forez

he looked a big old brute on the tv and seemed to travel best for most of the way & just got tired up the run in. Looks a banker for a similar race

Reigning Supreme a very nice run, boom
Didn't jump well and ran green but finished very well.
Hendo's got a nice crop.

I'm sitting on a nice antepost bet on Jenkins at 25/1 for the supreme wagered last April. Bar a few sloppy jumps today I'm fairly happy with his performance. That was one of, if not the best, 2m novice hurdle races ran in the UK so far and he clocked an impressive time putting plenty of daylight between himself and some very good horses, all this jeeping in mind it was his seasonal debut and he's bound to improve for it! The money for Fry's before the off clearly demonstrated they thought a lot of him and expected a bold showing but he was no match for Jenkins. He will come on a ton from that. I expect to see him again at Kempton on 26th December, a race Henderson farms with his best novices!

Shades of Altior last year with a lot of people knocking his Cheltenham win over Maputo right up to his supreme rout. I think Jenkins faced a better type of horse today than Altior had faced right up to last years festival. That second of Bags Grove in the Newbury Bumper has worked out very well. Fact remains bar a moment of madness from Paddy Mullins this lad would still be unbeaten. Looking forward to his next outing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Invitation Only and New To This Town Saturday

The form of Invitation Only's Bumper win in April at Punchestown is absolute DIRT! Blast Of Koeman, Sunny Mai & Turcagua are all pigs.
I appreciate Sunny Mai has won a hurdle race, but he just about collared a 14/1 shot after Barcardys fell. That overall Form line looks very poor.
New to this town returned injured after poor showing in Chelt Bumper and looked very good prior to that.
Very happy to oppose IO with NTTT and a small saver on Barra as he is an unknown quantity.
Or if laying is your thing, 1.68 Invitation only is a green light lay of the day!

bloody hell - 30 runners in the first at Navan tomorrow...I wonder how many are trying?
Sounds mad, but think Joey Sasa is a cracking Ew bet to finish in the first 3 of those 30...He's match fit, has won both his NHF races tidily and could give Battlefrod a battle if taking to hurdles

Useful Flat performer Soldier In Action is to join Nicky Henderson for the winter from the yard of Mark Johnston, having recently been gelded.

The three-year-old son of Soldier Of Fortune gained three wins on the level last year and ran in the Queen's Vase at Royal Ascot.

Mike Spence, son of owner Alan, said: "Soldier In Action is set to go Nicky Henderson's and we are going to have a go at the Triumph Hurdle with him.

"He didn't have the heaviest of seasons, as he had a foot abscess. The plan is to give him two runs, then have a crack at the Triumph.

"He won't stay hurdling long as he will go back with Mark Johnston on the Flat. He has a bit of class and he could be quite useful over hurdles."

Soldier In Action is rated 105 on the level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sumkindofking starts his hurdling career this afternoon at Southwell. He's short enough, but probably only has the O'Meara runner to beat and should win

Looking forward to the G2 at Sandown tomorrow and will be extremely disappointed (and poorer) if Ballyandy doesn't benefit from the step up in trip and receipt of weight from the main opposition. Looks a banker to me

Back