Novice Hurdlers 2016/17

The brothers grim wanted a long term approach officially - Interesting to see how long they keep Cooper

When someone says they wanted a long term approach in business it usually means changes and a price hike is round the corner.........and Grim Bro's did exactly that

Actually Cooper's not a bad Jockey at all but I'd make the best of it while he can.....You get rid of a good man like davy Russell you'll sack anyone

Anybody see the opener at Clonmel today ?. Crack Mome won well enough but he was sent off at 3/10 and while he looked far from a world beater, he did look green on the run-in and the right horses filled the right spots in behind.

He's been shortened into as low as 9/1 (Hills) and that makes absolutely zero appeal.

It's early days but IMO unless Melon turns out to be as special as some of rumors suggested during the summer then Willie won't be collecting from this race for another year.

Last edited:
It's early days but IMO unless Melon turns out to be as special as some of rumors suggested during the summer then Willie won't be collecting from this race for another year.
He has 20 of the 40 entries for the Brave Inca at Leopardstown after Christmas. Everyone is running behind their normal schedule but the UK novices haven't exactly set the pulse racing yet either.

That Novice Hurdle there at 12:35 Cork is everything that is wrong with Irish racing!
The market was an absolute joke! Tree of Knowledge opened at 4/6 and drifts like the proverbial barge to 5/2 at the off.
Tens of Thousands matched on the machine between 3.0 and 3.5 - runs like a drain, goes backwards half way round and finishes tailed off.
It appears plenty of people knew this would be the case and took advantage. It's obvious that the opening price was completely falsified. Disgraceful!

Cruiseweigh goes in the 12.55 at Newbury and has been well backed again. I’m going to give him one more chance, but not getting carried away as he was very head strong at Sandown. High Bridge also had decent bumper form.

Bags Groove looks a slam dunk to frank Jenkins form over a couple of extra furlongs in the 3.10. Will also have a small EW saver on Crystal Lad

I think Cruiseaway's tack failed at Sandown, Perp. I like him, and think he has a good chance today.

I like Camping Ground in the Graduation Chase (well treated at these weights). Drumacoo is another horse I like, but Ben Pauling pulled him from the Hennessy on account of the ground being too quick, and it seems unlikely to be much softer today.

I'm with you on those two Perpetual and got them at 5/1 & 7/4 yesterday evening respectively! Cruisaweigh's bit slipped at Sandown on Tinglecreek day and was pulled but he was very keen. He's been backed as tho defeat is out of the question. Adrian Heskin was very sweet on his chances as Morning Line guest that day. High Bridge brings some good flat and bumper form into the race also so it's no penalty kick.

Bags Groove shaped on debut behind Jenkins as tho the extra 2f today is what he needs. He also comes with a decent reputation and the 4th last day at Newbury that day was Pingshou who went in at 14/1 at Cheltenham last Friday! Jenkins ended up going clear fav for the supreme after that, generally shortened 3 points, which is staggering when you think he was just standing in his box at the time. Bags Groove looks like he should be opening his account today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've had one bet today and have taken a chance on Wenyerreadyfreddie in that same 12:55 that Cruisaweigh runs in. I've been keen on the latter this season but despite his bit slipping LTO he was pretty keen through the race prior to that and at the prices I'm going to pass him over.

I would have left it as a no bet race but Wenyerreadyfreddie put up an okay performance in his only bumper last year when only beaten by an Alan King horse who was well beaten in what looked like an intriguing novice hurdle race at Cheltenham last week.

This horse has since switched to Henderson though following the dispersal of John Ferguson's horses and Hendo had good things to say about him in his stable tour, calling him a "lovely, big gelding" and saying how he was "really looking forward to his debut over hurdles".

I reckon he'll perform better than his debut on this slightly quicker ground so at 8/1 I've had an interest in the hope the move to seven barrows sees the necessary improvement on his second outing.

It's more speculative than anything though.

He was an although my speculative punt went west on WYRF, along with the winner I reckon he could be the one to take out of the race. He was having his first start for Henderson, still looked green and looked like he wanted at least the extra half mile his breeding suggests he'll appreciate.

Henderson reckons he'll be an exciting chaser in time and to my eye he's a sure fire winner over hurdles as soon as he's upped to 20f, which in that showing will surely be sooner rather than later.

Can't help but feel that the Neptune is going to take more winning than the Supreme this season.

A quiet springer in the mares novice market, Camelia De Cotte, gets her first run tomorrow. Could be Ricci's best novice this year.

No more chances for Cruisaweigh and he's off the list. High Bridge fairly impressive

Bags Groove did nothing much wrong and got chinned by an inspired Dickie ride

Can't help but feel that the Neptune is going to take more winning than the Supreme this season.

A quiet springer in the mares novice market, Camelia De Cotte, gets her first run tomorrow. Could be Ricci's best novice this year.

Thanks Archie added it to all tomorrows bets, crap odds but every little helps

She handled the ground well & we'll hopefully find out more next time

Give Me A Copper goes in the 3.10 Exeter. Good winner of Cork of bumper in March. The form may not be much, but he sold for £270k and has gone to Nicholls. He must go close

Not the prettiest to watch but did it nicely. As you say Colin, surely much more to come

Only downside appears to be two of the co-owners are Done (Fred?) and Kyle (Jeremey?) alongside Ferguson (Alex?) and Wood (Ronnie?)

Kennel Gate at Ascot tomorrow looks like an interesting little trial race. Henderson should know where he stands tomorrow evening in the Supreme picture with the favourite Lough Derg Spirit & 3rd fav Thomas Campbell lining up.

However the one that interests me most is Captain Forez for Dan Skelton. He ran an eye catching debut when appearing to have Jenkins in trouble 2 out at Newbury. By Network he looks to have bundles of pace and the better ground could bring further improvement. He seemed to tire after the last but should strip much fitter tomorrow and that Newbury race has worked out well. Skelton said before the race he would improve a lot for it. He will make a lovely chaser in a year or two.

It's also interesting to see Lough Derg Spirit take up this option when the horse that beat him convincingly in his point, Claimantakinforgan, also with Henderson is kept down the bumper route and is fav for the closing listed bumper on the card.

I can't have a bet in the race...

loved the way Lough Derg Spirit hurdled first time - I genuinely think it's as good as you'll see. Have backed him for any race at the festival, but would not be surprised to see him outspeeded tomorrow and stepped up in trip later in this year

you've already mentioned Captain Forez and he's the one I highlighted onthis thread on the back of the run behind Jenkins. If this was 8 runners I'd be on EW & perhaps tomorrow he is one to back and layin running as travelled beautifully at Newbury

Captiane is supposedly one of Nicholls's most promising novices and got in a bit of a trouble at Doncaster and the track was like a paddling pool. He could improve massively

Thomas Brown has C&D form and Keep in Line was hampered behind Moon Racer at the Paddy Power meeting

Probably the best novice hurdle run in the UK so far this season, but not one to get heavily involved with financially

Last edited:
Kennel Gate at Ascot tomorrow looks like an interesting little trial race. Henderson should know where he stands tomorrow evening in the Supreme picture with the favourite Lough Derg Spirit & 3rd fav Thomas Campbell lining up.

However the one that interests me most is Captain Forez for Dan Skelton. He ran an eye catching debut when appearing to have Jenkins in trouble 2 out at Newbury. By Network he looks to have bundles of pace and the better ground could bring further improvement. He seemed to tire after the last but should strip much fitter tomorrow and that Newbury race has worked out well. Skelton said before the race he would improve a lot for it. He will make a lovely chaser in a year or two.

It's also interesting to see Lough Derg Spirit take up this option when the horse that beat him convincingly in his point, Claimantakinforgan, also with Henderson is kept down the bumper route and is fav for the closing listed bumper on the card.

hahaha the kiss of death on my double of Lough Derg Spirit and Claimantakinforgan.
On first view lds stuck me as a neptune horse, but eats the ground up, jumps beautifully and appears to have a serious engine.
I'm hoping for a strongly run race.

Back