Novice Hurdlers 2016/17

He is some price now. Serious support behind Kings horse. Does anyone know if Sam Twiston Davies is rerouted to Sandown now Exeter is off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I backed Apasionado e/w this morning at 10/1, in the Winter Novices. A lot of the horses he's beaten were previous winners, or have come out and won since. Think he might be under-estimated, as the form of the others is a bit guessy in comparison.

That doesn't apply to Ballyandy (think the Moon Racer form is rock-solid), but I do think he is maybe a bit soft, and for taking-on at (what was) odds-on.

Last edited:
I couldn’t view any of Ballyandy’s runs as soft and am not sure many soft horses are capable of winning a festival bumper…

Aintree was a disappointment, but will always forgive a poor run there. Perth run was a lovely intro & am completely discounting Cheltenham last month for a number of reasons (soft ground, no pace & bunching up the nearside rail). I do think he’ll win and win well

I backed Apasionado e/w this morning at 10/1, in the Winter Novices. A lot of the horses he's beaten were previous winners, or have come out and won since. Think he might be under-estimated, as the form of the others is a bit guessy in comparison.

That doesn't apply to Ballyandy (think the Moon Racer form is rock-solid), but I do think he is maybe a bit soft, and for taking-on at (what was) odds-on.

Think he needs further rather than he is soft - is a Kayf Tara too and could be a bit slow to fully mature, champ bumper aside

Bad day for the twisties just got worse. You'd wonder if that champion bumper form from last year is up to much at all. Agusta Kate & Rather Be the only winners in non events since.

I dont think you can knock the form of Ballyandy he's a good yard stick for the early novice hurdles. For me I think punters are under estimating the performance of MDO, giving 7lb to the runner up and still going away. 25/1 for the neptune is fair price in my book.

Bad day for the twisties just got worse. You'd wonder if that champion bumper form from last year is up to much at all. Agusta Kate & Rather Be the only winners in non events since.

Avenue D'une Vie has won but otherwise I'd probably agree that it's not looking like a great renewal.

It'd be unfair to write Bacardys off as he was going well when he fell, but Battleford looks to need 3m already and Bally is making a nice habit of just coming up short.

Sorry, I only went back to 10th with the Henderson horse. Bacardys more than likely would've won his maiden. Otherwise they look average enough.

I dont think you can knock the form of Ballyandy he's a good yard stick for the early novice hurdles. For me I think punters are under estimating the performance of MDO, giving 7lb to the runner up and still going away. 25/1 for the neptune is fair price in my book.
Being aimed at the Albert Bartlett apparently.

Expensive day for me yesterday... Ultimately you've got to be a little disappointed that Ballyandy couldn't win getting the weight, but I'm with frontrunner in that the winner may be underestimated as he'd come via handicaps. I’m not going to give up the faith just yet and he’s a Twister stablemate so we’ll see him again soon...

Some interesting runners today, though not necessarily punting opportunities

I’ve been looking forward to Cruiseweigh and think he’ll win the opener at Sandown, but really disappointed in the price. Was hoping for 2/1+

Baden in the first at Wetherby & Castello Sforza at Fairyhouse also look likely winners, but I’m not interested at odds on

If you're going to spend the best part of 350k on a horse why the fook would you send it to Jonjo.

Minotaur a major disappointment there.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Glaring was rated higher than Top Tug and Central Square during the summer months and while those two were initially vying for favouritism Glaring was allowed to win at 33/1. Wish I'd looked at this race before the off.

Nice Novice hurdle at Warwick tomorrow. Champion bumper 5th Westend Story makes his debut over timber & has taken support this evening. He wont have it all his own way tho with Willoughby Court, Dingo Dollar and Lough Derg Farmer in the field.

At the prices I went with Dingo Dollar at 6/1. His 2nd at Bangor has been well franked since and his point form reads well on a line through Getabird. He also has hurdling experience.

Also interesting to see that Jerry Mcgrath who rides LDF for Henderson is heading straight to Taunton to ride theirs in the bumper there. How far of a distance is that?

Last edited:
Guy Walters has Davy Russell riding his Whisper and the talented William Henry at Cheltenham this weekend.

The latter had a bit of a rep at home and went into a lot of notebooks when finishing a good 4th in his first bumper
In his next race he won a moderate contest at kempton by 17 lengths and followed that by showing a great turn of foot and hacking up in an Ayr bumper at the Scottish Grand National meeting
Not the hottest race but the 3rd managed to win his next 2 races.

He hasn't been seen since but definitely one to follow.

No that was Dai Walters :lol: I read a couple of months ago he would ride for him but I got the impression it was optional.

Never did understand why he was given the boot by Giggi..........probably because he's too straight talking rather than a lack of ability as he's still one of the best around

Back