Novice Hurdlers 2016/17

If Labaik actually starts today I'm going to have a few quid on him in running - hopefully at circa 25/1 on the machine.
Stayed on really well when when beating Mick Jazz over 2m in a Grade 3 and the longer trip is sure to suit.

Did it well Death Duty. He has such a low head carriage! Not the prettiest on the eye, but clearly effective.
Invitation only looked slow today, surely stepped up to 3m now.

A lot of support for Invitation Only the past few days which will probably see him go off fav today. He is the speedier of the two battling for favouritism and getting 3lbs off DD could swing it in his favour. I'm waiting on him to fill a double with Harry from Ascot yesterday.

However, I think Moulin A Vent is also way overpriced in this at 20/1 also and have done him ew in the hope he might nick second. There's no way he should be that price, his form is rock solid and is similar enough to Monalee & Baltazar D'aillier who are much shorter. Sean Flanagan raves about this fella.

He beat Brelade over 2m in Galway. Brelade has won twice since beating Battelford & Joey Salsa. That form should be held up again in the first at Navan. Monbeg Notorious got the better of him in Down Royal and he's since run 2nd in a graded race where the ground looked to have gone against him in Cork. And on his last outing he beat Minella Til Dawn & Runfordave, both have won since beating classy performers. MTD yesterday beat a Mullins horse that had attracted lorry loads of money!!

On a side note MAV is available for the Neptune with B365 at 25/1 but is s massive 50/1 with pp. Taking into consideration there are horses in the Neptune market who wont be next nor near the starters flag come March 15th next, that certainly looks value to me so that's another to add to my early festival bets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

genius, death duty looked really good, invitation only poor

Death Duty on looks is big and stuffy.

great for his future that he has the ability to win over an intermediate trip.

Henrys horse is one to watch when chasing next term, he thinks a lot of him

Did it well Death Duty. He has such a low head carriage! Not the prettiest on the eye, but clearly effective.
Invitation only looked slow today, surely stepped up to 3m now.

I really want DD in the Tattie race at cheltenham....now worried they might stick to 2m4 after today. He's a quality horse and i love his head carriage....obv no wind issues with this boy. He reminds me of Bobs Worth actually.

Labaik is such a monkey. Will win a race at a big price if he ever decides to stop dicking around.

i think they will keep DD at 3m in March Digger, he obviously isn't slow but he could be taken off his feet by a few speedier types

Last edited:
I reckon there should be automatic week bans for anyone referring to the Spa Novices Hurdle as the Potato race (or any other variant thereon).

You wouldn't refer to the Grand National as the Ginger Beer race, or even the Golden Miller as the Insurance race.

It's not big and it's not clever. (and it gets right on my tits!) :whistle:

It bothers me in general that we refer to certain races by there sponsors name but we've all done it for long enough that it's just the done thing to call it the RSA/JLT/Jewson/Ladbroke/albert Bartlett or whatever it is.
It seems to be less prevalent on the flat-there was mild outrage when the stewards cup was made to change its name to the 32red cup a couple of years back and it swiftly changed back the next year.
Then again i suppose it's all down to money isn't it.

About your original point - yes just calling it the Albert Bartlett is enough, calling it the potato race seems to cheapen it somewhat.

Last edited:
I presume the RSA is now the longest sponsored race?

For the record:

JLT - Golden Miller
Neptune - Baring Bingham
AB - Spa

Last edited:
I reckon there should be automatic week bans for anyone referring to the Spa Novices Hurdle as the Potato race (or any other variant thereon).

You wouldn't refer to the Grand National as the Ginger Beer race, or even the Golden Miller as the Insurance race.

It's not big and it's not clever. (and it gets right on my tits!) :whistle:

Hard to get worked-up about what to call races that have been on the calendar for so short a period of time, and which have had changes of sponsorship in even that brief window.

The Nash will always be the Nash. The other pair? Call them whatever you like, but most especially the Potato and Insurance races, seeing as that's what gets on Simmo's tits. :lol:

Coastal Tiep worth keeping an eye on & Bacardys - there sire is seriously going places, getting plenty of nice youngsters in France and a number over here from limited stock.

Martin

the only one I know that calls it the potato race is that fool who kept pushing Excelebration against Frankel until he finally gave up after the QA. A head for a potato. He should just remain in his couch.

Supreme absolutely wide open at present, with no real pecking order established at Mullins (that I can see anyway) and nobody else appearing to have a standout contender at this point. Couldn't even name something that appeals at this stage. Maybe the Future Stars tells us more tomorrow

Back