Novice & Juvenile Hurdlers 2019/20

Horrible drift right before the off probably explains it!

Some move on Sizing Pottsie too.

Last edited:
Really like Ribble Valley. Had him at 9/4 last night but didn’t pull the trigger on more due to Proschema. Big future I feel. Debating e/w for the Supreme even this early.

Really like Ribble Valley. Had him at 9/4 last night but didn’t pull the trigger on more due to Proschema. Big future I feel. Debating e/w for the Supreme even this early.

As nicely as he did that today and FTO over hurdles, I'd fear he has a lot to find in class terms to feature in a Supreme or a graded Novice Hurdle tbh.
He won Class 5 bumpers last year impressively too, but when stepped up to a Class 1 bumper at Cheltenham last November he was found wanting. Thyme Hill finished 10L ahead of him in that bumper. That's the rough standard setter in the UK to date for 2m - 2m4f Novice Hurdlers.

Not to say he can't improve, but so can/will the others who were already approx. 20lbs ahead of him on RPR's at the end of last seasons bumper campaign. Proschema was almost 40L behind today, so don't think could use that as a marker, he clearly didn't run to form today. Ribble Valley a lovely horse no doubt, and certainly more races to be won with him, but right now I'd have my doubts about featuring in graded company.

Meant to mention Eritage who won the first at Taunton on Thursday. I was told about him last season prior to his bumper win but he’s very highly thought of at Ditcheat. Didn’t spot he was in this week but he certainly won impressively enough (19 lengths) and I will be watching closely to see where he goes next.

Clearly meant to post this in the novice hurdlers thread pre race:

The Royal Bond looks a mouthwatering prospect today. Really looking forward to it. Sticking with Abacadabras. Can he beat Envoi Allen, maybe not... But at 5/1 I'm willing to pay my money to find out. And while not ignoring the potential quality of Midnight Run and Embittered, amongst others, I'm hoping Abacadabras is an EW bet to nothing. What a race!

Clearly meant to post this in the novice hurdlers thread pre race:

The Royal Bond looks a mouthwatering prospect today. Really looking forward to it. Sticking with Abacadabras. Can he beat Envoi Allen, maybe not... But at 5/1 I'm willing to pay my money to find out. And while not ignoring the potential quality of Midnight Run and Embittered, amongst others, I'm hoping Abacadabras is an EW bet to nothing. What a race!
I genuinely thought Abacadabras was coming to win that. Got very very excited 2 out. Wasn't to be. Envoi looks the real deal

I hate the rush to crown every young horse as the second coming

Some of the envoi comments on Twitter today were that of just complete fanboys.

He is very good, im in awe that with his size he is as nimble as he is.

I don't think a horse his size should be this good over the minimum.

I look forward very much to seeing him develop but to call him invincible id urge caution

I hate the rush to crown every young horse as the second coming

Some of the envoi comments on Twitter today were that of just complete fanboys.

He is very good, im in awe that with his size he is as nimble as he is.

I don't think a horse his size should be this good over the minimum.

I look forward very much to seeing him develop but to call him invincible id urge caution
For selfish reasons, I'm hoping Envoi goes up in trip and runs in the Ballymore. Already have a few nice positions on Abacadabras for the supreme at 20/1 and 14/1. He's as short as 8/1 with a lot of books right now.

Regarding Envoi, PJ, and his size you reference, do you think he's nailed on to go novice chasing next season?

For selfish reasons, I'm hoping Envoi goes up in trip and runs in the Ballymore. Already have a few nice positions on Abacadabras for the supreme at 20/1 and 14/1. He's as short as 8/1 with a lot of books right now.

Regarding Envoi, PJ, and his size you reference, do you think he's nailed on to go novice chasing next season?

60 inch Nail

Cracking race that today! Envoi looked absolutely huge compared to Abacadabras but he has some turn of foot. When his jockey shook the reins 2 out, he quickened nicely and then went about his work in a really attractive way. Cracking finish between the 2.

Elliott on EA "the one thing that probably would beat him is a slow pace" - certainly wouldn't be a slow pace in the supreme but maybe more tactical in the Ballymore.
I really think it's a 50/50 call whether they go Supreme or Ballymore. I defy anyone to be confident re which race he goes.
One thing is for sure.....he looks the real deal as ticks all the boxes.

Don't think the the percentages are quite right as there must be a small chance the Champion Hurdle will be considered due to what seems a weak renewal.

Don’t know what I want. I got giddy and backed Thyme Hill for Ballymore and Abac for Supreme. Looks inevitable Thyme Hill goes Albert Bartlett now. If that’s the case hope the send Envoi to the Ballymore and leave Abac to the Supreme.

If it wasn’t for Envoi Allen, Abacadabras would be the talking horse of the season.

I'd note Midnight Run yesterday

He got an awful race

I hope he gets a less publicised run next time out and he is one who will run a massive price as the owners 3rd string come March

12/1 about Enrilo at Sandown in the Ballymore trial is a price. They love him and happy to write off lto as they weren't firing.

Back