Older Flat Horses 2010

Needless to say I think F&G is the likeliest winner and is a top class horse - but I think these are the conditions are could find him out.

I may be going mad ... Cutlass Bay seems much the likeliest winner to me and I thought he would be favourite! Not betting on anything at the moment, but I wouldn't put anyone off that 5/2. Fwiw, I also think Glass Harmonium will run well.

Cutlass Bay has scope and is not too far on figures, CB will be better suited to the 10f and is tighter than odds suggest.

Cutlass Bay has scope and is not too far on figures, CB will be better suited to the 10f and is tighter than odds suggest.

Perhaps the odds are taking into account the Godolphin transfer factor? If there was a real top notch 10 furlong horse in here I would be keen to take on Fame And Glory on this ground.

I found it very hard to put a price to his name and in my mind he is 11/4 on reputation and not the formbook. Does anyone have a rating for any of his last two runs?

That horse is Cutlass Bay - the only doubt is the one you mentioned yourself.

For someone who hates hype and potential in a price - you seem to be jumping on the bandwagon for a horse that promises an awful lot but has yet to really put the actual performance in on the track.

????????

First of all, this is my post before he ran this year

I'm hoping the star older horse of 2010 runs today in France - anyone think 6/4 quite big?

I haven't been jumping on anything - I pinpointed him before most others did.

Secondly, he's not hype and potential, he's won 2 Group 2s (beating Cavalyman in one) and a Group 1 in just 5 starts, and is unbeaten.

Sorry jumping on the bandwagon is the wrong term - you were certainly the first to highlight the horse and I did not mean to suggest you were following the crowd on this one.

I think his record is one of a horse with huge potential - thats clear - but he is just the type of horse you would often take on or oppose.

????????

First of all, this is my post before he ran this year

I haven't been jumping on anything - I pinpointed him before most others did.

Secondly, he's not hype and potential, he's won 2 Group 2s (beating Cavalyman in one) and a Group 1 in just 5 starts, and is unbeaten.

I found it very hard to put a price to his name and in my mind he is 11/4 on reputation and not the formbook. Does anyone have a rating for any of his last two runs?

OR in France after his win in the Prix Harcourt is 52.5kg, which translates as about 116.

Sorry jumping on the bandwagon is the wrong term - you were certainly the first to highlight the horse and I did not mean to suggest you were following the crowd on this one.

I think his record is one of a horse with huge potential - thats clear - but he is just the type of horse you would often take on or oppose.

I think you are referring to the types I usually oppose being Rip (pre Sandown), and Steinbeck this weekend?

If so, then there is a huge difference - neither had won above Group 3 level, and the hype for both came from Ballydoyle. If there is hype around Cutlass Bay, it is coming from the horse's performances, as there has been little or no talking from Godophin. He has done everything asked of him to date, and won a Group 1. It's fair to say he would have won the GP de Paris last year. Everything about him appears top class and he's proven what he has needed to in each race. There, for me, is a big difference between this and beating Cuis Ghaire receiving weight and trailing in behind in a poor Dewhurst - or in the case of Steinbeck, something similar.

The BHA have given him an OR of 119, presumably after the Ganay. Fame & Glory's OR remains at 128.

Thanks lads. I think FAG has had two perfect preps for this and will be very hard to beat .

Cutlass Bay looked a tricky ride in the Ganay, lugging in towards the runner up and looking to hold his head a shade awkwardly.

Has he ever ran in a truly run race in his life by the way? The two races I've seen on YouTube were run at a very steady pace. That said, both his pedigree and style of racing suggest that a stiffer test holds no fears and should actually bring about further improvement. I'm no expert on French form but his form is surely will behind that of Fame And Glory on paper. On the flip side, I actually think he may be worthy of a large Timeform "P" given the scope he has to improve on it.

Almost certainly a watching brief for me ~ having said that I can see Fame And Glory winning a 10f Group 1 this year I don't think he'll get a much better chance than this. I certainly wouldn't be rushing in at current prices though.

Back