Paddy Power Gold Cup 15th Nov

If the rain keeps coming, then there'll be loads horses pulled up. And the ones that do finish will take ages to recover from their exertions - remember the 2012 renewal? Al Ferof looked very game, with a bit of class that day. But that race finished him.

Feels a bit like Lee Westwood playing in the Open Amateur Championship because he can't win a proper major.

Nothing against Westy btw

Worst renewal ever

Really? It may be worth going back through the last 10 renewals, because I suspect you have the race down as being traditionally better than it really is.

Admittedly a few have looked better in hindsight than they did at the time. This one could too of course.

The meeting this weekend is one I try to get to every year.The racing is usually competitive and often informative. I saw a stat in the week's Weekender that revealed that it is rare for the Open meeting winners to win at the Festival. Surprised me but they're right. This is a meeting to try and spot potential as Festival winners are unlikely to be fully fighting fit now especially if the ground conditions have change recently, as this year. Al Ferof, one of my favorites, won well here but was knackered for the season as a result. It is a big risk putting top class horses into competitive handicaps in testing ground at Cheltenham.
The top stars will go the the Hennessy where course is less demanding and prize money/prestige is higher.

I'd venture that this is a very competitive renewal although finishing distances might not indicate so. There is potential and also proven form although not of the very top quality, throw in ground conditions both on the course and on the training gallops, allof which create a difficult puzzle to resolve. FWIW I've taken 20's ew on Caid du Berlais, I would not have backed the horse at 10's.

Worst renewal ever

It would have to be pretty dire to be worse than the one won by Joint Sovereignty.

It's one of those races that might not set some people's pulse racing beforehand but when was the last time the form turned out to be anything other than very strong?

Not seen anyone do one of these for a while but this is my view of the race:-

Looking at the card I’d say the race should be one by one of 6 with 2 others likely to be in the frame or thereabouts,

John’s Spirit and Oscar Whisky (if he jumps round), must be involved but you’d have to think they would be beaten by a better handicapped horse. That said Oscar Whisky has got a very similar profile to Al Ferof.

The 6 I reckon it’s between are:-

Present View
Buywise
Caid du Berlais
Persian Snow
Indian Castle
Ericht

I could discount Easter Meteor and Attaglance but I reckon they are more exposed than the others. At least I’ve managed to discount 9 runners from the field!!!

I’ll leave out Easter Meteor and Attaglance for the reasons I said. But I wouldn’t be confident that one of them won’t come back and bite me in the arse. Particlalrly now Easter Meteor has switched to Pipe and his profile isn’t dissimilar to Great Endeavour, and Attaglance is progressive and loves Cheltenham.

Of the six that I’ve shotlisted, Present View has a nice profile for the race and his spin over hurdles shows he’s still improving so he deserves to be favourite, but given the profile of the race he’s too short, particularly when Buywise is 2 points bigger and looks as though he’ll appreciate the softer ground more. The downside with Buywise is that terrible mistake he made at the Festival, and other jumping mistakes in his profile. But if he put in a clean round he ought to be the better handicapped of the two. Another big positive is his profile is remarkably similar to Tranquil Sea’s in a race that has a very similar look to it the year Tranquil Sea won.

Caid du Berlais is interesting. He too has a sketchy profile, but I’d be prepared to ignore his run in the Galway Plate given he’d been on the go for so long, and ironically I’d see that as a bonus for this race because he’s likely to be fitter than most Nicholls horses have been first time out. He also has an excellent record at Cheltenham.

Persian Snow is interesting because his form ties in with a lot of these, and on strict reading he’s got a mark that puts him right in the mix. Add to that Hobbs’ horses are flying, and he’s done well with similar types in this race. For me he doesn’t look classy enough though, and whilst I wouldn’t discount him placing, if he won it you’d have to mark the race down as a poor renewal.

Indian Castle has moved to Ian Williams from McCain in the same ownership (owner already has horses with both trainers). I’m not sure why he’s moved but Ian Williams must be happy because his profile is ideal for this race. He’s totally unexposed, but had beaten or run the right horses close in his novice season. The only blot was when he was stepped up in trip to 3 miles, but everything else would suggest two and half at a stiff track is perfect which includes that all important course and distance win back at the January meeting. Plus with all the rain around he handles everything from good to soft through to heavy.

Ericht is definitely interesting. Geraghty has opted for Oscar Whisky and it’s easy to understand why. You could argue OW has the better chance but I’d argue Geraghty wouldn’t want to be seen jumping off a horse that will go for some big prizes this season with Dai Walters being one of those owners you don't f*ck around if you want to keep the ride on him and his other good horses. So back to Ericht. The downside is he’s got Tinkler on board who is a jockey I’m not keen on, and also his profile would suggest he wouldn’t want too much more rain. The positives are he looks on a really nice mark, and his profile fits nicely with that of previous winners. If he has got in here as unexposed horse he’ll have to be good enough to compensate for Tinkler though.

Conclusion

I like Buywise if he jumps. I’m not keen on the price, but this race is more often won by something at single figure prices so I will probably back him. Indian Castle and Caid du Berlais are the two I think provide the best value against the favourite, but I’m also mindful that Ericht does look unexposed, and you’d have to think Johns Spitit, Oscar Whisky, Present View and perhaps Attaglance will be somewhere near at the finish.

My (not too confident) first four are:-

1[SUP]st[/SUP]. Buywise
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Indian Castle
3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Caid du Berlais
4[SUP]th[/SUP] Oscar Whisky

Last edited:
Just back from the preview night, the panel were keen on Oscar Whisky (class horse) and Indian Castle, whilst Longsdon liked Johns Spirit. They also liked Vaniteux on Sunday.
Ladbrokes had some enhanced offers (£50 max), John's Spirit 10-1, Buywise 12 and Present View 8
Also Vaniteux 5-1 for the Greatwood.
I took up their offer of 8-1 Vautour for the Arkle and 16-1 Bob's Worth for the Gold Cup.
There were others available but none took my fancy

Oscar Whisky is the class horse in the race - but on his hurdles form and even over those his form was showing signs of petering off with his last truly great performance being two years ago; I'm sure TDS needed the run more on this day last year and the distance back to The Romford Pele, who failed to set the world alight thereafter (albeit he looks to have come good over the summer) would back that up.

Hard to get away from Buywise I feel.

Incidentally, Ladbrokes Exchange offering a risk free £25 to ALL customers and are biggest at 8/1 about Buywise.

Just about to leave. Down for two days, with wife today and family joining tomorrow. Anyone fancying meeting up please PM me.
Shangani today is a hopeful punt and looking forward to seeing Balthazar King who has done me proud over the years.

My conclusion should have said it's a bloody minefield and I'm likely to be hopelessly wrong Maurice! :D

Lashing down at Cheltenham. Ground will be soft and take plenty of getting

Metcheck says 3mm of rain this morning then dry. I'm not sure that amount of rain will inconvenience too many.

Edit: 7mm overnight so maybe a total of 10mm before it goes off?

Probably soft but most should go in it.

Last edited:
The going was already changed to 'soft, good to soft in places (from good to soft)' overnight after 7mm of Rain.
I would expect the combined overnight rain and the extra 3mm this morning would be enough to upset a few DO...
Like Digger suggested, it'll take plenty of getting imo.

I'm considering Cantlow seeing how he's gone a few pound down in the handicap. He was beaten twenty Lengths at Wetherby last season before winning at Newbury, so if he's on a going day he can put these bad previous runs behind him, as was the case at Ascot last time.

I see he won a couple of novice chases on bad ground so I'm hoping he'll appreciate the conditions. He wouldn't want to make any mistakes or blunders tomorrow, I suppose the betting market may guide but I wouldn't put anyone off an e/w bet on him.

Last edited:
Back