Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe 2012

getting over the draw position wastes energy though

to me he should have won ...a bit quirky...i don't want to overplay the draw but even half a length disadvantage makes all the difference in races at this level

My commiserations to his backers anyway. It is a gutting result if your cash was riding on him.

Orfevre got a little tired late on. He stayed as far clear of all the rest bar the winner.
Heavy ground beat him. Nobody seems to have mentioned the winner who is nothing if not game the way she kept at it.
Sire Poliglote was just touched off by Celtic Swing in 95 French Derby. A son of Saddlers Wells I thought there would be more heard of him as a sire. The Wertheimers and Heads obviosly kept faith in him...his dam by Val De Lorne their 75 French Derby winner may have helped...

Yeah Euro, definately it can be argued the draw cost him, and those adopting that argument will win that one.

Buts thats part and parcel of horse racing. Certain horses are asked overcome these biases during a race such as the draw and if they do the ultimate prize awaits.

The bigger question must be whether his jockey asked him to go prematurely. He showed an amazing turn of foot, a turn of foot that would win 19/20 Arcs. Either Solemia will turn out to be a very good Arc winner, or Soumillion ballsed it right up imo .

Last edited:
Yes I agree with the concensus the best horse was 2nd. Pity, he has a bit of charisma. He hit the rail because he was bollixed tired and lost his action.

Hats off to Peslier he's a great jock on the big day.

Camelot ran as expected by those who did n't have their head in the sand. Only surprise was that they let him expose himself again. Perhaps they don't fancy him for stud much.Still, didn't stop Aidan shite'n out of him..best horse ever bla bla bla....

Orfevre looked like he pulled himself? Something he has done in Japan previously when he gets lonely up front. Ran a very good race when not ricocheting off the rails or bolting in the post parade...just a touch quirky?

Cam had no excuses - didn't act on the ground and was outclassed.

Would it be fair to say Sir Henry made the right call? Given how far Saint Nick was beaten by the winner, if Frankel had been badly drawn and in that ground he may have struggled to win the race like so many people 'with their heads in the sand' were sure he would.

Last edited:
Orfevre looked like he pulled himself? Something he has done in Japan previously when he gets lonely up front. Ran a very good race when not ricocheting off the rails or bolting in the post parade...just a touch quirky?

Cam had no excuses - didn't act on the ground and was outclassed.

Funnily enough I thought the winner had gone lame on his off fore as they pulled up. I could have sworn he was shying on that leg.

Would it be fair to say Sir Henry made the right call? Given how far Saint Nick was beaten by the winner, if Frankel had been badly drawn and in that ground he may have struggled to win the race like so many people 'with their heads in the sand' were sure he would.

i doubt very much that SNA has run anywhere near his best tbh

He had to cover more ground because of where he was drawn. If he'd been tracking from the inside he would have had more left at the end and easily held on.

Wide draw/decent ground - Orfevre wins

Inside draw/heavy ground - Orfevre wins

It was only the combination of wide draw and the heavy ground that beat him.

You knew all this before the race so why not lay your stake off?

I haven't heard the jocks comments but something funny happened.

Great day out, couldn't have picked the winner given ten goes but he was a deserving winner, despite all the pocket talking on here. Everyone was aware he had temperment issues so it was always a possibility he would do something funny. Surprising how little the winner has even been mentioned!

Masterstroke ran a cracker too.

From all the pre race comments, I was happy to see the Japanese horse beaten. A very poor Arc though.

Last edited:
Too much pocket talking and excuses on here. No one likes a bad loser.

lol..and you are good one???

come on Hamm..yer being a bit unfair i think..no one has pocket talked from what i can see...its the way it lost after looking the winner thats being discussed

Last edited:
Back