Punchestown Festival 2017

Gone for a double, Someday and Sizing John. Someday's absence from Cheltenham was one of the most disappointing occurrences I have had in nearly 40 years going to the Festival, akin to the last gasp defeat of Champagne Fever, so much was I anticipating his victory and also like with Fever I had substantial AP bets going onto to what were to be two winners.

Given his close 2nd to Cilias Emery, who franked the form here, and his Leopardstown performance Someday deserves to be considered alongside the favourite today. Certainly in front of the Mullins horse, which, although expensive, has done nothing except beat rivals that have done nothing. 9/1 the double seems attractive to me but I also have singles.

Penhill for me in the next. This fella has benefited handsomely from the step up to 3m and can improve again on his impressive Cheltenham run

Plus I live near Penn Hill so what better reason to back him could there be [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

☹️
Ruby may have overdone the waiting tactics there or underestimated the winner

Last edited:
what a brilliant, brilliant race.....race of the season?! ....poor old coneygree might have won that only for nodding at the second last but terrific run from him.

Fantastic race couldn't see Coneygree keeping up the gallop for as long as he did and Djakadam might have won but for missing the last

Really hoping Rightdownthemiddle can turn over the fav in the next, and continue the improvement I think I witnessed at Aintree.

He's got a bright future, whatever happens.

Last edited:
Really hoping Rightdownthemiddle can turn over the fav in the next, and continue the improvement I think I witnessed at Aintree.

He's got a bright future, whatever happens.

Hope you're right. Have doubles and trebles with Fayonagh and Sizing John which would put me back level for the month

I can't remember the last time I bet anything at Punchestown and haven't even looked at anything at the meeting so far but I was up early this morning and bored so looked at today's card. Very briefly.

I have Presenting Percy better than Penhill and reckon a fit Coneygree would be far too good for his field so I've backed both in singles and a double.

Back to Plan A - no more betting at Punchestown.

why do you not back at punchestown desert? top drawer racing that you must have an angle into with your figures...brain power out later in week etc

Robbie Power and Jamie Codd have made this a great meeting for me despite Labaik and Melon neither seem to be capable of putting a foot wrong.

That said I have kept away from most of the races.........sooooooo difficult to find the winner

Just incase it has escaped anyone's attention Jamie Codd has won on 6 of the last 7 favourites he has ridden none of which were odds on...amazing rider for an amatuer.

Fine race. Would think SJ never looked as comfortable as he did at Chelt.

Coneygree ran a monster race. Full credit to him and the maligned Bradstocks

Agree with your assessment.......probably on the edge of going over the top and pure guts got him home.

People may be underestimating the horse due o all the trouncings Douvan gave him but he's only 7yo

It will take some horse to stop him winning another Gold Cup if he improves like you would expect

Big respect for Coneygree to stay in it right to the line after such a long lay-off and making a bags of the second last, at which point it would have been easy to surrender.

I missed the finish of the gold cup today as the stream on my phone cut out. Trying to watch it again on the ATR app, but the replays don't appear to be there anymore. Haven't used the app in a while, has something changed? Has the replay facility been removed permanently?

Back